Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The above is very important because talking about Baofeng and Rugged Radios, transmit at a 25kHz which may not sound like a lot, but is way outside the tolerance for GMRS
To get around that you can switch to narrow band, which makes your band width 12.5mhz. You know just to throw some fuel on the fire, lol.
If the radio is capable of being put into narrow bandwidth. A lot of those cheap radios can’t select between narrow and wide

Reactions: donmontalvo

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If the radio is capable of being put into narrow bandwidth. A lot of those cheap radios can’t select between narrow and wide
I thought the UV5R could go narrow, oh well my only experience with Boafeng was an older UV5R that TX/RX from 137-155 and 430-500 and was able to select narrow or wide band. Thing was illegal as all hell, and utterly unimpressive, lol.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I thought the UV5R could go narrow, oh well my only experience with Boafeng was an older UV5R that TX/RX from 137-155 and 430-500 and was able to select narrow or wide band. Thing was illegal as all hell, and utterly unimpressive, lol.
The UV5R can do both wide and narrow afaik.

Reactions: donmontalvo

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Yep, Midland and Rugged Radios...even if you can program using a computer, not very useful when you're offroad.

Reactions: M Rose

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Exactly… even if you carry both a laptop and programming cable it’s still not easy to do while driving.
For GMRS the Wouxun KG-935G handheld and Wouxun KG-1000G mobile radio are as capable and flexible as they come. Weeks long waiting list, sooo worth it.