Seeking advice: North Dakota Badlands

• HTML tutorial

ManitobaOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manitoba
I’m headed down from Manitoba through the badlands, roughly to Medora on a motorcycle, beginning this Saturday. I’ve got lots of my route planned, but I’d like to know more about the Blacktail Rd/East River Rd/Frank’s Creek Rd areas North of Theodore Roosevelt Park South Unit.

Are these roads passable? Legal? I’d like to come into Theodore Roosevelt Park South Unit from the North, on dirt.

Hitting dirt around Fairfield, ND by taking Blacktail Rd to East River Rd would be the long way (purple trail through green trail), Frank’s Creek Rd to East River Rd, the shorter way (blue trail through green trail).

I’m also thinking about wild camping back there somewhere - there seem to be possibilities all over the place - but it’s really hard to know what is public land (other than the park which is obvious) and what is private land (I don’t want anyone upset with me).

Any thoughts/pointers/tips would be MUCH appreciated!!

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I can't comment on any of the details you're looking for regarding dirt roads and dispersed camping but Teddy Roosevelt National Park is awesome - it's one of the few places where you can see wild mustangs. Take your time to hike around a bit while you're there.

I was born up in ND and moved away when I was a toddler but still have family up there. I've been to TRNP several times (most recently in 2015). It'll be hot this time of year so bring water and stay hydrated!