See a lot of different medical issues, but none about snake bites while out in the desert.

• HTML tutorial

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Interesting info. Whats DRSABCD stand for?

Thanks
It's an Australian acronym used for emergency situations to ensure safety and proper application of aid, basically a expanded version of the North American ABC's (Airway/Breathing/Circulation)

D = Danger, make the scene is safe before you approach (fire/down wires/active shooter etc)
R = Response, determine if the patient is responsive (responds to voice, touch etc.)
S = Send for help
A = Airway, make sure the patient can breathe (takes priority over any injuries)
B = Breathing, check for breathing, try to reestablish an airway and if still not breathing move on to C
C = CPR (North America uses Circulation) find out if the patient has a heartbeat and give CPR if needed
D = Defibrillator, if available apply an automatic defib machine

both acronyms are a good way to remember the basics in a stressful situation when people are not used to giving aid.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
All joking aside.
Yeah that would be a bad day. My buddy lost his dog to a cooperhead. And he was right there. Died at the VET Their bodies are so small (them humans) the poison travels faster.
Cutting a slice between the two fang holes like the old days and sucking out the venom would not work on a pet. At least I've never heard of that.
Evac is the approved method. Sending a helo for a dog would be declined.
Sorry.
Zim
Cutting and sucking does not work full stop, be it on humans or anything else.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I am wondering, do first-aid courses in America cover snake bite treatment?

It is covered quite comprehensively, in first-aid courses in Australia, as well as the treatments for other venomous creatures. Many of which are even poisonous to just touch like the Box Jellyfish.

It is recommended for anyone but in particular, those who do pursuits such as Overlanding, to get regular first aid training on a regular basis from a certified provider such as St. John Ambulance or Red Cross. Ours are on a 3-year cycle with a recommendation to do a CPR (resuscitation) refresher annually, to keep people up to date with the latest treatments.

It is a requirement for me to be at least certified in "Basic" first-aid, as I take youth into the outdoors as a scout leader and I have also obtained my remote area first-aid certification because we go to some really remote areas.

S

SoCoRuss

Not on a regular first aid course. Maybe a outdoor leadership class. I havent taken those.