Rank III

Influencer II

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Leonel
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Overland community I need your help. I'm planning a trip to Sedona and grand canyon in April. This will be my first out of state overland trip so I want to make sure I'm prepared.
1. Anyone have any disperse camping spots that you would be willing to share with me?

2. Do I need permits to camp ?

3. What's your favorite trail in that area?

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

I'll just skip the Sedona part as I know nothing about that area. As far as Grand Canyon, might be good to discuss where you want to go since it's not a small area. Even differences like North Rim vs South Rim (I would guess South Rim this time of year, but not sure). I've spent time inside the park on both sides, but didn't ever try to find dispersed camping as I wanted to be close to the rim for hiking/running/etc. I'm sure there are plenty of dispersed camping areas *around* the canyon, but without a little guidance it's a lot of area to cover. I'm headed there in April myself, but reserved a camp spot on the South Rim (as this will probably be my first trip with a new rig, so like having campground support to shake it out, and I want easy access to the trails).

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I live about 40 miles south of the Grand Canyon and know a lot of great places you can camp near the south rim. The north rim will be closed until the middle of May.

Reactions: 9Mike2

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I've done a similar trip, back in April 2019.

If you have the chance, you should also visit a few places such as Tonto National Park (not that far from Sedona). In Sedona there aren't many dispersed camping spots, at least not that we found, so we had to end up sleeping at an RV park.It's a beautiful place for hiking, you'll be amazed at how many hikes there are. However, it's also very touristy and you will see it seems there aren't as many camp sites or grounds.

We did camp in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, but it wasn't a disperse camp site, rather one inside the park, where we just drove in and got our spot. I'd say both places are beautiful, but perhaps not ideal for disperse camp sites.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Lots of dispersed camping options in Kaibab National Forest on the way to the North Rim. Stop at the store at Jacobs Lake and pick up a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) of the NF or order one on line from USFS, Many of these roads lead to camping opportunities right on the rim but are in the NF rather than the NP. Dispersed camping is also availablr on nearby BLM lands off US 89A Not dispersed, but one of our favorite camping options in the area is Lee's Ferry (Glen Canyon National Recreation Area).

This Is a link to one trail we've enjoyed. Note: It runs on both USFS and NP lands, you are supposed to have a permit fot NP camping.

Have fun and posy back with picss and a trip report.

Al

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Dress warm. Even the South Rim can be snow-on-the-ground chilly in April. If you are set on boondocking, there are numerous sites in the National Forest just south of the park (around Tusayan). If you would like a campground, the Forest Service has a nice campground just south of the town named Ten-X. In the park, Mather Campground is the no-frills dry camping experience and Trailer Village has full hookups (both near Grand Canyon Village). If you'd like a less-crowded camping experience in the park, try Desert View Campground to the east near Desert View Watchtower. Just outside the east entrance there is some boondocking on FR 682. All of this is South Rim. As already stated, the North Rim will not be accessible until mid-May at the earliest.

Reactions: huachuca

Carnales 87

Rank III

Influencer II

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Leonel
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

I'll just skip the Sedona part as I know nothing about that area. As far as Grand Canyon, might be good to discuss where you want to go since it's not a small area. Even differences like North Rim vs South Rim (I would guess South Rim this time of year, but not sure). I've spent time inside the park on both sides, but didn't ever try to find dispersed camping as I wanted to be close to the rim for hiking/running/etc. I'm sure there are plenty of dispersed camping areas *around* the canyon, but without a little guidance it's a lot of area to cover. I'm headed there in April myself, but reserved a camp spot on the South Rim (as this will probably be my first trip with a new rig, so like having campground support to shake it out, and I want easy access to the trails).
Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning on staying around the South Rim since North is closed until May. Maybe I'll look into a campsite for backup plan.

Carnales 87

Rank III

Influencer II

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Leonel
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

I live about 40 miles south of the Grand Canyon and know a lot of great places you can camp near the south rim. The north rim will be closed until the middle of May.
I'll have to do my research on the South Rim. I'm just want to make sure I have permits if needed to camp in certain areas.

Carnales 87

Rank III

Influencer II

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Leonel
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

I've done a similar trip, back in April 2019.

If you have the chance, you should also visit a few places such as Tonto National Park (not that far from Sedona). In Sedona there aren't many dispersed camping spots, at least not that we found, so we had to end up sleeping at an RV park.It's a beautiful place for hiking, you'll be amazed at how many hikes there are. However, it's also very touristy and you will see it seems there aren't as many camp sites or grounds.

We did camp in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, but it wasn't a disperse camp site, rather one inside the park, where we just drove in and got our spot. I'd say both places are beautiful, but perhaps not ideal for disperse camp sites.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look in to Tonto National Park

Reactions: GBGCR4x4

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

A few more suggestions (Tonto & the Superstition Mountains are both great):
Look into camping at Dead Horse Ranch State Park, which is about 30 minutes from Sedona and close to Tuzigoot & Montezuma Castle National Monuments. Hike the Red Rocks area near Sedona, scramble up Cathedral Rock and explore nearby trails, see ancient structures on the Island Trail in Walnut Canyon, drive 89A to Coconino National Forest, where I recall some decent dispersed camping sites. Do you know that the Sedona McDonalds is the only one whose arches aren’t golden?
Wupatki and Sunset Crater are just north of Flagstaff, stop by on your way to the Grand Canyon. Get on reservation.gov now and look for a campsite at Mather, which is a good location from which to explore the South Rim. Drive out towards Desert View, hike the Grandview Trail, or maybe down to Ooh Aah Point. Catch the red shuttle to Hermits Rest and walk along the paved trail for beautiful views of the canyon. If you’re adventurous, hike down Bright Angel Trail to Indian Garden and back. If you start early enough and want to work a bit harder, add on several extra (mostly flat) miles to admire the view from Plateau Point.
Consider adding in Petrified Forest National Park If you have time, it’s further east.
Have a blast!

RYL

Rank I

Contributor II

Ventura
Overland community I need your help. I'm planning a trip to Sedona and grand canyon in April. This will be my first out of state overland trip so I want to make sure I'm prepared.
1. Anyone have any disperse camping spots that you would be willing to share with me?

2. Do I need permits to camp ?

3. What's your favorite trail in that area?
regarding Sedona . . . .

- Outlaw Trail is an easy and scenic route with a few moderate sections, great for a sunset drive
- Broken Arrow a blast but super crowded on weekends, would avoid SAT-SUN, final stair case has significant drops - lift, sliders armor recommended, also relatively short but fun to stop and hike from
- Devil's Bridge trail a great way to beat the busy hike
- Alternative would be to spend a day in the Cinder Hills outside of Flagstaff, very unique place

Have a great trip!

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Helpful information here, thanks! We were planning on camping along the north rim on Kaibab NF land during the end of March or early April. It looks like there are several nice campsites. I appreciate there could be snow in late March/early April, but as I look at weather history, it shows March has average highs of 57, lows of 31, and 4 precipitation days - I understand these are just averages.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
The issue is not so much fresh snowfall as lingering snowpack. Lots of shade for it to hang out in and the roads can be a muddy mess. Consider contacting either the Kaibab ranger station at Jacob Lake or the NPS Backcountry office for current conditions.

Reactions: terryg

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

The issue is not so much fresh snowfall as lingering snowpack. Lots of shade for it to hang out in and the roads can be a muddy mess. Consider contacting either the Kaibab ranger station at Jacob Lake or the NPS Backcountry office for current conditions.
Oh, yeah, good point. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.