Securing your bumper-mounted spare tire?

• HTML tutorial

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Having a Buckstop rear bumper/spare tire carrier installed on the rig this week...how do most folks keep their spare tires from disappearing? Wheel lock is an obvious choice, but I’m worried about realizing that I’ve lost the locking key (ask me how I know) when I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Bike lock?

Thanks!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'm not sure if you are asking how to make sure you have your key, or asking how to secure something without requiring a key.

Wheel locks are more of an impediment to the owner than the thief. The lock manufacturers have even been kind enough to the thieves to make them a little extra long to make them easier to defeat.

Spline drive nuts would slow them down more than a single lock assuming they don't have a correct spline drive socket.

In the end it is probably better to lose a spare than to have them beat all the windows out and light it on fire because you denied them your spare tire.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I use a cable style bike lock wound through the wheel and around the carrier. The key is always on my keyring. Sure it can be defeated, but my assumption is most of the thieves looking to steal spares are lazy and are looking for easy targets. Otherwise, they could just work for a living and buy their own.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Glad to know I wasn’t completely off-base. For me, the bike lock probably makes the most sense. That, and avoiding the areas where my wheels and tires might be an attractive target! [emoji23]

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

40 years of travelling, daily driving with a spare on the back.... I've never locked it, never lost one.

Reactions: Uberland

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Having a Buckstop rear bumper/spare tire carrier installed on the rig this week...how do most folks keep their spare tires from disappearing? Wheel lock is an obvious choice, but I’m worried about realizing that I’ve lost the locking key (ask me how I know) when I’m in the middle of nowhere.
Bike lock?
Thanks![

/QUOTE]
I never give it a thought. My tire is so heavy I can't even take it off. Anyone touch my car and the alarm goes off and they pee in their pants, so do I ! If after all that someone get it, it will be easy for the cops to find who took it. Wet pants, big muscles and no curles left in his hair.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just got my Wilco Solo Hitch tire mount today. Instructions say one person half an hour. Took me at least an hour lol. Plus had to go to a tire shop and buy an wheel lug nut lock.

812B3AFE-37B8-4868-8042-F455FFC961D9.jpeg

B754C762-770C-4058-A0AF-470F6648F084.jpeg

I’ll have to see if my bike lock cable will also work with this set up.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Go ahead and lock your spare, I'll just take your four mains instead. Locking it does hardly anything.

If Row had the Hitchgate HD+ whatever with the cooler platform, I'd steal the whole darn thing.

I've only had people try stealing my spare at boat ramps. The new splined lug nuts seem to deter theft, but it's only a matter of time before those sockets get more popular. Since no aftermarket wheels take OEM lugs anymore, and there's tons of shady people that use their kids lunch money to buy wheels, so they're all going to have splined lugs eventually. Wheel lock nuts, and locking hitch pins are a no go in the salt belt. Even these splined lugs are a pita. The socket snaps in half if you don't religiously anti seize them. If your dog doesn't sparkle, you didn't use enough anti seize.

I still have a tailgate, so obviously I've been avoiding shady people well enough.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I use Spline drive nuts on all 5 wheels it is simple enough. I keep the socket in the center console at all times.

If anyone wants it bad enough they will take it... That and all the other stuff on board...