Secluded Camp site with Cell service

• HTML tutorial

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

My wife and I want to have a quick getaway weekend camping. Unfortunately with the little ones at home, we would like to have some cell service in order to check in on them from time to time. They'll be with their Grandma, but we would feel much better if we know they can get a hold of us when they need something.

Can you guys recommend any decent camping spots?

We live in the East Bay and willing to travel a little bit. Just a Friday-Sunday kind of trip. Thanks for all your help!

Vu

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Probably more than you want to spend just for a weekend, but the InReach satellite communicators allow for two way texting anywhere in the world. Plus, on more remote trips you then have emergency communications.

Alternatively, as mep1811 suggested, you can look at Cell Phone boosters which can make a bit of a difference in the lower 48; even the most remote places in America are within 150 airmails miles of a MacDonalds, so cell cover with a booster should be a viable solution for a few spots especially with the tower map @mep1811 provided. Neat resource!

ExPo's Chris Cordes wrote a great article on the options for backcountry communication just the other day:

The Best Backcountry Travel and Overland Communication Devices

The iOverlander app also contains information on wifi at various spots; if using iMessage/Facetime this might be an option for you also.

Note: Edited to fix a typo, "miles" instead of "airmails"!

Last edited:
Reactions: sabjku