Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Still some time before we go but wanted to get the ball rolling here.

First of all, Merry Christmas!

Now then, the topic of safety was brought up so let’s use this trip as an opportunity to practice great preparedness. We have 8 rigs if I counted right. This will likely be a cruise in the hills but drifts are, at this point, almost guaranteed. This means everyone should have a full winter extraction kit, either for self recovery, or helping others.
We should have cell coverage for most of this trip, although spotty when we get back in a ways. For inter group communication, let’s use GMRS. We will decide on a channel morning of.
Please start chiming in on what YOU want to get out of this, and things everybody ought to be aware of, as well as tips and general discussion here!!! Can’t wait, gonna be fun

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I just want the added experience. Don't want to intentionally get stuck, but it will be nice to be surrounded with more experienced Overlanders.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Now then, the topic of safety was brought up so let’s use this trip as an opportunity to practice great preparedness. We have 8 rigs if I counted right. This will likely be a cruise in the hills but drifts are, at this point, almost guaranteed. This means everyone should have a full winter extraction kit, either for self recovery, or helping others.
We should have cell coverage for most of this trip, although spotty when we get back in a ways. For inter group communication, let’s use GMRS. We will decide on a channel morning of.
Please start chiming in on what YOU want to get out of this, and things everybody ought to be aware of, as well as tips and general discussion here!!! Can’t wait, gonna be fun
I'm game for whatever, I am mostly interested in meeting up and hanging out with more of the community :) seeing what kinda trouble we get ourselves into and enjoy the day out :)
Thank you for putting this together!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Do you have any idea of which trails are you planning to do?

Reactions: Iridium

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

If passable, we will go to the Pole Mountain area. Hard to call out any specific trail just based on more-than-likely conditions.

If that doesn’t work out, Crystal Lake Rd. which isn’t a trail but is a scenic dirt road.

Reactions: Iridium and SS308

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

10 of 10 RSVP'd, can I just go to the meet point and follow the line of rigs around all day and say I'm not in the group? Switched an on-call week so I'm now free this weekend.
I’m sure it won’t be an issue but I will let @307dulaney chime on this!

Reactions: SS308 and Iridium

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

What trail are we doing? And what’s the rating? Don’t have skids, sliders or a winch on the new rig yet
Pole Mountain area and Crystal Lake road were talked about. Pole Mountain area has all green trails per trailsoffroad.com and Crystal Lake Road is just a dirt road. I think we'll all be pretty good. With green, the only thing you'll be rubbing on is the top of snow. As long as you stay in the middle so you can be recovered if sliding off the trail, you're good to go.

West of Laramie there are some additional green trails and one orange trail that look open, if folks want to explore there too. Lots of options for a great day out! I'm sure the local guys already have a good idea.

Reactions: Iridium and SS308

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
What trail are we doing? And what’s the rating? Don’t have skids, sliders or a winch on the new rig yet
Plenty of us have recovery gear, which I don’t believe we will need. If we do it will be minor.

Reactions: Iridium

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Hopefully this isn’t too late…

So I realized the RP says “no comms”. We will have GMRS and settle on a channel upon meeting. If you have HAMM by all means use it but primary communication will be via GMRS. See you all tomorrow!