Scuba

• HTML tutorial

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Anyone here a diver? I got my open water from Padi a while back and I've puttered on a couple dives since then. I've been meaning to get a few more certs and start exploring. It's a little harder now that I don't live in a place with clear waters though.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I had to go look, as I thought we had a SCUBA thread. Thanks for starting this!

I got my PADI open water certification in 1974, and had all US Divers/Aqualung gear. (Cue Jethro Tull getting stuck in your head...) I used it a bit for the next few years, mostly finding things friends lost in the lake where we lived. After moving back to Ohio in 1986, I sold everything except the mask, fins, and snorkel. They are terribly outdated by modern standards, but work well for me when we're somewhere I can use them.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

If it's not broke, no need to fix it.

New fins and mask are on my list, because tragically the last set broke!

My father used to dive back around then too, we had a big sack full of all his gear for the longest time. Sadly he got rid of it, else I'd likely be stealing his weight belt.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Yeah, it's expensive. I usually rent most of the big stuff. Though to be honest, if I start doing it more regularly I may invest in a dive computer because they make planning your depth/time a lot easier.

Like, I chart everything out on paper and do my times with a watch now, but one of my friends has a dive computer and every time we've gone down it's been a much simpler process. Less stress for sure.

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
We're divers!!

Typically doing it on vacation or planning vacations so we can dive, being from a land locked state with much cold water makes us travel to dive! Typically go to the Caribbean as its close and rather inexpensive.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I love to SCUBA dive! I have my advanced open water and my rescue diver. I, too, live in a land-locked state (Arkansas), but the dive park at Beaver Lake is less than an hours drive from my house and in the spring, visibility is about 20 feet, with water temps about 80 degrees. If anyone is ever down this way, shoot me a message. If I can't take you diving, I'm sure I can find one of my friends that can and I have three full sets of regs and plenty of other equipment if you need to borrow something.

Reactions: Veritablehatter

4Roamer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver CO
Diver here. I haven't been in years, living in CO makes it a little harder. However, I have thought about excuses... I mean trips to dive friendly locations.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
SCUBA diving and overlanding go hand-in-hand ... At the dive park at Beaver Lake, there are plenty of campsites and, because Beaver Lake has some of the clearest water in a 250-mile radius, people travel from as far away as Wichita, Kan. to do the dive portion of their open water certs.

Reactions: Veritablehatter

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

I'm thinking later summer I might grab some friends and go get some more certs and do a refresher of my open water. I've been out of it way too long.

I've been meaning to get my drysuit cert just because the water up here gets reaaaal cold. Also I've got a buddy who has been inviting me to go to Sweden and go diving in cold water springs.

Reactions: Itacal

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I'm thinking later summer I might grab some friends and go get some more certs and do a refresher of my open water. I've been out of it way too long.

I've been meaning to get my drysuit cert just because the water up here gets reaaaal cold. Also I've got a buddy who has been inviting me to go to Sweden and go diving in cold water springs.
I'm seriously considering a dry suit cert. I'm headed to Iceland in late October and want to dive between the continental shelves and a dry suit cert is required.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm a PADI Dive Master. I don't get out as much as I would like. Moved from Southern CA to Austin, TX. Makes Diving a bit more challenging.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I'm also a Dive Master long out of practice... Just not into cold water diving much anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Another Scuba diver here. Got my PADI Open Water cert at Dutch Springs in Eastern PA last May, and was planning on doing Advanced Open Water in August... then had to have emergency gallbladder surgery a week before the class. Somehow this year got away from me too, and as it stands, I haven't gone since my check out dives last year!

Really want to get back in the water... but preferably somewhere warm. (The water at Dutch Springs in late May last year was 46° at about 40ft... even in a 7mm wetsuit, it was friggin' cold.)

kosherDILL

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pittsburg, Kansas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dill
really happy to see a SCUBA page. although i'm an unfortunate soul that is landlocked, i live in kansas, i am open water and a SAR diver

Reactions: DVC

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Learned to scuba dive in West Africa 1974, officially certified in US in 1989. Gave all my gear to my son last year. Wish I still looked like my picture on my card. I am sure my wife feels the same way.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Another Scuba diver here. Got my PADI Open Water cert at Dutch Springs in Eastern PA last May, and was planning on doing Advanced Open Water in August... then had to have emergency gallbladder surgery a week before the class. Somehow this year got away from me too, and as it stands, I haven't gone since my check out dives last year!

Really want to get back in the water... but preferably somewhere warm. (The water at Dutch Springs in late May last year was 46° at about 40ft... even in a 7mm wetsuit, it was friggin' cold.)
Ah Dutch Springs....I remember it well... My wife and I did several certs there .....brrrrr cold.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
My wife and I are both Nitrox certified along with a bunch of other certs..... We dove several times at Dutch Springs in PA but definitely prefer the warm climates. We still dive at least once a year now that we took up overlanding as a hobby.

Bill.jpg

Reactions: Aussie571 and DVC

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

My wife and I are both Nitrox certified along with a bunch of other certs..... We dove several times at Dutch Springs in PA but definitely prefer the warm climates. We still dive at least once a year now that we took up overlanding as a hobby.
I do actually plan to go back and get the AOW cert there - but I think I'll wait until late August when the water is at its warmest!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding