Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Yesterday, I made a handshake agreement for the purchase of a International Scout 800. Now this Scout is in rough condition, with floor pan rust, missing RF steering knuckle, and was last registered in the 1980's. It does have some things going for it though, V-8, and appears all original with very little body damage. The plan is to take the body off the frame and mount it to a Land Rover Discovery frame. They share the same wheelbase, and the Discovery is 1/2" wider in the track. No doubt it will be difficult. What I gain by this is power front disc brakes, heartier axles, LT-230 transfer case, four wheel coil suspension, and the plethora of Land Rover aftermarket parts. I anticipate powering the build with (Option 1) a 2.8 Cummins with a 6L80 transmission. Adapters courtesy of Mark's four wheel drive adapters. The other (Option 2) is a 3.2 Ford Duratorque with a 6R80 transmission. Other ancillary items would be ARB air lockers, Ashcroft cross shaft upgrade for the T-case, and an external roll cage. Vehicle to be delivered next Saturday!

Attachments

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I guess a handshake isn't worth what it used to be. After weeks of dealing with excuse after excuse, and wasting several Saturdays I called the sale off and the seller went ballistic. THEN I found out he didn't have the title and was never the legal owner of the vehicle. Go figure!
Moving on, I'm now at home looking at a 1965 International Scout 80 in my garage, with title in hand. I guess patience has it's merits. I have stripped off the top, the seat, and cleaned out the interior of hundreds of wasp nests. Weird, my last international was full of wasp nests too. Next I feel the best step is to get a mentor, I have one in mind; he's an older gentleman who worked in the body shop industry for years until retiring recently. He owns several vintage hot rods, and i hold great respect for his character and happy demeanor. It's not that I feel I cannot accomplish the task on my own, but rather wish to do it right the first time. Stay tuned!

Attachments

JKel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Suwanee, GA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

My parents had one of these when I was a tiny kidlet. My Dad wished he still had it, he said that the 4 cyl motor would kill itself pulling up a mountain on the highway, but off road it was nearly impossible to stop.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Made some progress on teardown tonight. Pulled a damaged fender, hood, and front nose cover. Luckily I have 2 spare front clips! I also pulled one fuel tank and removed a good 5 pounds of dirt packed around the tank. The radiator shows signs of leaking, so I pulled it as well. I also have another one, I'll probably take both to a radiator shop to see if I can make one. I know the long term plan is to put this on a Discovery chassis, but I would still like to get this powertrain running, as it will hopefully see running duty in another person's Scout in the future. I replaced one tire that would leak down overnight with a used tire. Tomorrow, the other tank!

Attachments

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Piece by piece, she's coming apart. Pulled the dash, steering column, and heating system today. I'm still amazed at how many hornet nests I have removed, I must have pulled 5 pounds of them by now!scout 1.jpgscout 2.jpgscout 3.jpg

Reactions: =Jack=

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I finally got the quarter panels off. I didn't want to, but considering the rust under the fuel tanks, and the fact that there are areas that a sand blaster just won't get to otherwise- they had to come off. Next step, removal of the front fender wings, I hope to make them removable to give me better access during the engine fitment, plus one needs to be replaced for sure!

Attachments

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
So i spent today taking off the forward wing supports off my donor scout in the back yard. I think I'll make this part a bolt on part rather than weld on. This will make engine fitment much easier!

Attachments

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Following, had a '64 for a time as a plow truck , was unstoppable.
Looks like your making good progress , and it should be a great rig when your done . Of course they are never really " done" are they?
Regards

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Following, had a '64 for a time as a plow truck , was unstoppable.
Looks like your making good progress , and it should be a great rig when your done . Of course they are never really " done" are they?
Regards
Thanks! It's true they are never really done- I would be happy to just be able to take it on a camping trip. I hope to get the body work done by the end of the year and be working on powertrain and chassis.

Reactions: OvrRovR

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I haven't given up, I'm just really bad about posting. I have since acquired a 1998 black Land Rover Discovery ($350) to donate it's Frame, suspension, brakes, and transfer case. I'm almost ready to remove the body from the frame. I also have a 2014 Ford Falcon 4.0 litre Barra I-6 engine with ZF6HP26 transmission with all accessories, computer, and harness ($2,900) on the way to the U.S. from Australia as the power plant. I have some resources to complete the merger in both a divorced or custom adapter arrangement between the transfer case (LT-230) and the transmission. Crossing my fingers I won't need to cut new driveshafts by keeping the transfer case in the same position!
20200228_130519.jpgBarra crate.png

Last edited:

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Making good progress, the quarantine must have some good side effect! I was able to get the body cut up and taken off the frame. The only casualty was the brake lines- thought I had gotten everything out of the way and was hoping to reuse them. Cutting disc just nicked them and a leak was made. Just as well, 22 year old brake lines probably aught to be replaced since I will be replacing the master cylinder and flexible lines.
Just a thought: The entire roof from the drip rail up came off in one piece. I need to build a custom hard top for the scout and was thinking this might make a great pop-up camper top being aluminum and having the roof line alpine windows. I would have to narrow it by 3 inches down the center, and weld in plates where the sunroofs were, what do you think?
Cap Disco1.PNG

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I got the engine, transmission, and transfer case out after disposing of the LR body, just cant seem to find anyone that wants the GOOD body parts off the LR!
My barra engine and transmission made it to Canada, and then was sent back to Austrailia for "packaging issues". It would be months for it to make the return trip. So I cancelled my order and went with the safe bet- a 5.0 Coyote and 6R80 transmission. I made a deposit and am ready to pay in full, left a message at the salvage yard in Bend, OR- but nothing yet... am I cursed or something?

SCRO.jpg

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Now that is a project! The coyote is likely a better bet anyways, finding parts will be much easier i would imagine.

Reactions: Mike Dubya