Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

About 2 months ago I bought a Dometic CC-40 fridge (40Qt, 25lbs). It is from their entry-level lineup that uses a smaller compressor, and lacks some nicer features like a basket or separate "freezer" section. But, it has kept cold drinks in the truck so far! Given my short commute (about 2 miles / 9 minutes) and the Florida heat, it will run the 2nd battery dead in a couple days without supplementing its power with an extension cord through the back window overnight.

However, once Hurricane Michael intensified from a tropic storm to a Cat3, I set the fridge to 10 degrees and it has been keeping about 6 months worth of my wife's frozen breast milk. I would certainly call that a very pragmatic win! We drove it up here in my vehicle and then plugged it up to the cabin's AC--if we lose power here (slight possibility, given the storm's intensification), Ill just move it back to my truck and run the truck every now and then to ensure it stays powered (if it thaws at all, it can't be used again).

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Overlanding is certainly an entry in 'prepping' as well.

Glad you had resources to store the breast milk for times of need.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Haha, oh yes! I got into this overlanding community out of a long-developed "prepper" mentality (starting with my first Samurai). But as we all know there is a ton of overlap! I also keep my gasoline-powered Coleman stove in one of my truck's storage drawers for camping and such, and we have already used it as well since this cabin only has a sink, microwave, and mini fridge. My wife hasnt had a chance to go camping yet this year (our kid just turned 6 months old), so this was her first time running the stove. She said she is excited about not having to cook over a scorching campfire anymore, haha.

In any case, this is definitely more like "Glamping" :P .
20181009_162341-800x600.jpg