SamM

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

West Virginia
Member #

image.jpg image.png

Here is my military surplus Schutt Industries LTT-LQG (Light Tactical Trailer-Light Quiet Generator) trailer. It was made to be pulled by a HMMWV. Basically, I had to redesign the trailer frame to have the same width as my Jeep. This was a major undertaking and took quite awhile to accomplish.

The next step is to design a box to mount on the trailer. It will need to carry all my camping gear, my electric bike and possibly be used to sleep in. That is still up in the air. I'll probably sell the Tepui RTT and go with a hardshell, if I keep a tent. Sleeping up high off the ground is something that I really like.

The trailer is all aluminum and now runs on the Timbren Axle-Less independent suspension units. For rigidity, I did add an option axle. I'm still using a pintle but that will change. The paint needs stripped off the frame and it will need repainted.

SamM

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

View attachment 7388 View attachment 7387

Here is my military surplus Schutt Industries LTT-LQG (Light Tactical Trailer-Light Quiet Generator) trailer. It was made to be pulled by a HMMWV. Basically, I had to redesign the trailer frame to have the same width as my Jeep. This was a major undertaking and took quite awhile to accomplish.

The next step is to design a box to mount on the trailer. It will need to carry all my camping gear, my electric bike and possibly be used to sleep in. That is still up in the air. I'll probably sell the Tepui RTT and go with a hardshell, if I keep a tent. Sleeping up high off the ground is something that I really like. The paint needs stripped off and it needs painted.

The trailer is all aluminum and now runs on the Timbren Axle-Less independent suspension units. For rigidity, I did add an option axle. I'm still using a pintle but that will change.

SamM
nice score, lots of good info on DIY trailers at http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/index.php

SamM

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

West Virginia
Member #

IMG_1759.JPG Just swapped new wheels onto my Jeep, the trailer is next.

The Overland Expo East 2016 was a blast. Had a great time and was inspired by all the great rigs and setups that were there. The rain did not dampen spirits. Met some great people and saw many friends.

SamM

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

That looks fantastic! Curious to see what you do with it. Keep us posted!

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

I just read your build thread on Expedition Portal yesterday! Great build so far! I just bought a M1101 that I am going to start narrowing!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Very cool! Love the matching wheels. I like seeing builds where they tie in the colors and wheels of the rig onto the trailer.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I'm still stuck on the matching wheels and tires - that's completely awesome.
Attention to detail! Our rigs may have scratches and dents - but at least all of our stuff looks damn good!