• HTML tutorial

Chef744

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario
Member #

Hello Overlandbound Ontario Region!

So, as the thread title reads... I thought I would start a thread discussing "the must go" scenic places in and around Ontario.

To start off, my name is Gino and I have been living in Toronto for the last 5 years. I work as a Chef and on my spare time (which is really not a lot and would usually fall on a weekday), I enjoy driving around and discovering places where I can relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I also spend time on this forum and T4R.org gathering ideas and information on where to go, what to do and how to be better equipped for the trips I would like to take in the future. The trip reports from both forums have really inspired me to set some time off work and go on some adventures! The parks around Colorado are definitely on top of my list in the future.. For now, I want to spend time and actually "Discover Ontario!"

I used to drive an '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan RWD which I drove in the harshest conditions our weather brings us. I have since sold the car and am now a proud owner of a 15' Toyota 4Runner Limited which I have started modifying to meet my needs.

So far, these are the places I have been to around Ontario/ QC.

Niagara - Niagara on the lake in the summer
Wasaga in the summer
Sauble Beach in the summer
Tobermory, Bruce Peninsula in the summer
Collingwood/ Bluemountain in the winter
Gravenhurst, Muskoka in the winter
Montreal, QC in the winter
Saint Sauveur, QC in the winter
Mont Tremblant, QC in the winter

Any suggestions for places to see especially in the spring?

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

IMG_0496.JPG north of the sault is pretty wicked, i went up and joined Cerruti and jz8ty for a few days wicked fun! hitting bobcaygeon tomorrow :)

Reactions: Migu

Chef744

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario
Member #

Hi @dhossk, i just looked at the maps.. any specific points of interests to look out for in ardbeg?

Hi @Andrew24, where exactly is north of the sault and same question as above, any specific points of interests to go to?

Note: its just me and the girlfriend spending some quality time on our days off so im looking at places where we can easily go for a day or 2 so.. nothing hardcore where you'll need a buddy to bail you out when the situation gets tough but just a short getaway from the city.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Hey Gino, here are some more ideas for Ontario:
Some of these you'll need more than a couple days but here you go:

Pancake Bay Prov Park and stay in the 400 section, its got 3km of beautiful beach, hiking, biking etc around.
Ney's Provincial Park near Marathon/Wawa area also on Lake Superiour. Beautiful Park, it used to be an internment camp during WW2. Nice trails to walk, nice beach and is quiet.
Giant Prov Park near the Sault is gorgeous too, good photo ops.
Closer to you, checkout Killarney area. You have the Park which is nice and you have Herbert's Fish and Chips right in the town.....bring your camera and appetite. The owners are awesome and helped us out last summer when we broke down in their parking lot.
There are tons of places around Nippissing and Temagmi also....too many to mention.
Sudbury, Espanola areas have lots to do and see also.
Don't forget to go along the 1000 Islands along the St. Lawerence....too much to see and do....leave Toronto and stay along the lake shore and head toward Cornwall. That will take you most of the summer to properly check out.
Check out Bon Echo area also....that's easy for you to get too.
Also an easy drive is Bancroft, Combermere to Barry's Bay. Don't forget to stop in at Charlie D's for some awesome poutine....there Philly beef and Swiss poutine and the Polish poutine are heart stoppers but delish. Then head up Hwy 60 into Algonquin. Enough said on the Park.....lots to do and see. On your way out of the Park stop in Huntsville at 3 Guys and a Stove for some awesome food that won't kill your wallet....it's a must stop.
If you haven't got them yet, get yourself Back Road Map Books BRMB.
Also I use the following websites to help plan things out:
freecampsite.net - helps find camp spots
gisapplication.Irc.gov.on.ca - helps to find where crown land is if your not from that area
graveltravel.ca
overlandcanada.com
Also CAA actually has lots of info on things to see and do.
outhereadventure.com

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more info.
Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Chef744

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario
Member #

Hi @Just_us and @Andrew24,

Thank you for the tips!! I actually just got myself a copy of the Back Road Map Books the other day... So much to see! Plus your tips help me out narrow down which places to go to! Thank you again and hope to see you guys around!

Cheers!

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

Hi @Just_us and @Andrew24,

Thank you for the tips!! I actually just got myself a copy of the Back Road Map Books the other day... So much to see! Plus your tips help me out narrow down which places to go to! Thank you again and hope to see you guys around!

Cheers!

which BRMB did you get? i see you're from toronto im always down to go explore with in a couple of hours of the 416/905

Chef744

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario
Member #

Hey @Andrew24,

I got both the southern ontario and cottage country road maps!

And yes, I'm in North York. Glad to see more activity on our end of the forums so I'm keeping my eyes open for any activities in the future! I want to join the fall run in Ottawa but working in the restaurant industry, I find it hard taking weekends off.

Traveler I

Hey!

Just recently having some fun with my 4x4 exploring the dirt roads around Toronto.
One of my favourite 1 day getaways is leaving Toronto from around the Zoo and zigzagging along the dirt roads through Claremont and on to Durham Forest. Do a hike in there then keep heading north to Uxbridge for a stop at The Second Wedge Brewery or Nexus Coffee depending on what you're feeling like. Be sure to hit Concession Rd 7 and Westney Rd as they border Durham Forest aswell as nerby Chalk Lake Rd. for some windy dirt roads.

Enjoy

hadam380

Rank 0

Traveler I

There's a nice little gravel pit up by Barrie that's fun to mess around in won't get stuck if you have 4x4 and stay out of the water all kinds of dirtbikes atvs and 4x4s around there

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Chef744

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario
Member #

Hi All!! Took some time off work and spending the week in Muskoka. Can I get recommendations of places to see? We are planning on driving up to Algonquin, they say its beautiful there in the winter! Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Hapla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

If you are going up through Huntsville you have to stop at Ragged Falls just West of Algonquin. I suggest you only walk or hike on visible rock areas unless you knkw the falls. There are very high drops and undercutting on the banks but so worth it even if you oy stay on thr trail.

Looking for no cell service, no job schedule and no stress.
Bring on the camp fires and stary nights with friends and family.

Hapla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

If you are going to Ragged Falls you may have to park on the side road across from the entrance. I haven't been up this year so I have no idea if they have a parking area or if the road even has snow. Last time we went we had snowshoes for the hike down the road. The year before that it was drivable with the Jeep. So, go expecting the worst. ;)

Looking for no cell service, no job schedule and no stress.
Bring on the camp fires and stary nights with friends and family.

Traveler I

I have thousands of kms of tracklog ranging from Temagami, North Bay, Sudbury, Sault St. Marie, Wawa, Chapleau, Timmins, Hearst, Kapuskasing, Elk Lake, Matachewan, Shining Tree, Foleyet, Saultan, Webwood, Timmins, and more.

Reactions: Wolf427