SatPaq - New alternative to SPOT/InReach?

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I heard about this device last year and it seemed promising then, still does now. Basically, the SatPaq attaches to your existing Android/iPhone and lets you send satellite messages with it, apparently using existing geostationary satellites. However, instead of a subscription, you buy messages in bulk. For some of us who travel infrequently or don't necessarily need satellite messages outside of emergencies, this seems like a promising alternative to the subscription-based SPOT and InReach models that dominate the market.

It's a relatively new device, does anyone have experience with it though? I've found this forum post, and this review but not much else. Thinking of getting one, but would appreciate some feedback before I drop some cash on it...

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thinking of getting one, but would appreciate some feedback before I drop some cash on it...
Interesting, can’t beat the form factor though and the no subscription plan. The satpaq web site has few technical details and makes some big claims; I would want a demo before purchasing. If you get serious I’d ask for a coverage map with signal strengths especially for your area of intended use. Small antenna means lower gain so it may not be able to link in poor conditions (rain, too far North, behind trees) and its probably relying on wide beam sat which would not help. Their web site says “our geo satellites” and I would bet they are leasing bandwidth - what happens to existing hardware if they lose their lease and have to move to another provider (sat owner)? Since it uses GEO you would need a clear shot at the sat to use it - mountain or tree (branches with no leaves even) in the way will kill the link. I wonder if their app helps to aim it?

Can you receive messages with it? How are messages delivered to the users in the “city”? Email, SMS, web site?
You are in Canada which will not help with coverage, they claim America coverage which may or may not mean Canada. An interesting LEO startup in your area is Kepler.

An advantage to LEO/MEO solutions is that you can use omni antenna (no aiming) and a bird will (eventually) fly over meaning you will likely get some coverage in a canyon or with a mountain to your South.

Recently ran across the BivyStick and it looks interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cav 3724

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Interesting, can’t beat the form factor though and the no subscription plan. The satpaq web site has few technical details and makes some big claims; I would want a demo before purchasing. If you get serious I’d ask for a coverage map with signal strengths especially for your area of intended use. Small antenna means lower gain so it may not be able to link in poor conditions (rain, too far North, behind trees) and its probably relying on wide beam sat which would not help. Their web site says “our geo satellites” and I would bet they are leasing bandwidth. Since it uses GEO you would need a clear shot at the sat to use it - mountain or tree (branches with no leaves even) in the way will kill the link. I wonder if their app helps to aim it?

An advantage to LEO/MEO solutions is that you can use omni antenna (no aiming) and a bird will (eventually) fly over meaning you will likely get some coverage in a canyon or with a mountain to your South.

Recently ran across the BivyStick and it looks interesting.
Good synopsis of it all. The app does indeed show you how to aim it, and gives indications of signal strength. From reading the one or two reviews I found (I believe they're in the links I mentioned) reception doesn't seem notably worse than with the SPOT/InReach in wooded areas. Will be interesting to see how this plays out - it seems promising if the stats are to be believed.

Will check out that Bivystick too.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Good synopsis of it all. The app does indeed show you how to aim it, and gives indications of signal strength. From reading the one or two reviews I found (I believe they're in the links I mentioned) reception doesn't seem notably worse than with the SPOT/InReach in wooded areas. Will be interesting to see how this plays out - it seems promising if the stats are to be believed.

Will check out that Bivystick too.
I updated my post with more whining ;) The big difference with the SatPaq and SPOT/InReach is that they use satellites at different distances.
GEO - geostationary, always in the same place in the sky from our perspective, much further out in space. Since they don’t move and are further away you will need a clear shot and (generally) a better antenna. The further North you go the worse the signal will be.
LEO/MEO - low earth orbit, mid earth orbit. They move across the sky and are much closer to earth. Typically you don’t need to aim at them (omni antenna). A big advantage here is that a bird will eventually fly over and give you coverage - even in a canyon.

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I updated my post with more whining ;) The big difference with the SatPaq and SPOT/InReach is that they use satellites at different distances.
GEO - geostationary, always in the same place in the sky from our perspective, much further out in space. Since they don’t move and are further away you will need a clear shot and (generally) a better antenna. The further North you go the worse the signal will be.
LEO/MEO - low earth orbit, mid earth orbit. They move across the sky and are much closer to earth. Typically you don’t need to aim at them (omni antenna). A big advantage here is that a bird will eventually fly over and give you coverage - even in a canyon.
It seems like if you just want to stay in touch off-grid, and don't care about some downtime, or you're in a predictable location (e.g. a cabin) the SatPaq has some advantages in terms of cost.

For emergency comms however, the Bivystick seems like the right tool. Thanks for linking that. Can't beat GEOS' SOS monitoring, LEO satellites, and the price plan if that's what you need! Sounds like you can pay $17 per month for the times you need more texting/maps, and when the plan runs out or until you buy a monthly plan again, you've always got pay-as-you-go $0.50/message in your back pocket, in case of emergency. Did I read that last bit right?

Reactions: Ubiety

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For emergency comms however, the Bivystick seems like the right tool. Thanks for linking that. Can't beat GEOS' SOS monitoring, LEO satellites, and the price plan if that's what you need! Sounds like you can pay $17 per month for the times you need more texting/maps, and when the plan runs out or until you buy a monthly plan again, you've always got pay-as-you-go $0.50/message in your back pocket, in case of emergency. Did I read that last bit right?
I don't read it that way. It appears to me that you have to have a subscription to use, $17.99 a month gets you 10 credits. If you use those 10 credits then you pay $0.50 per credit/message or you can buy additional credits.

Data Plan
No Activation Fee. No Contract. Cancel Anytime.

$17.99/mo Base Plan
  • 30 day connection to the satellite network
  • Includes 10 credits
  • SOS monitoring
  • Dedicated phone number
  • Access to detailed downloadable maps
  • Unused credits roll over when user continues monthly base plan
  • Bivystick still works after all credits are used at a rate of $.50ea
  • Additional credit packs available at a discount
Or $59.99/mo for Unlimited Credits

Additional credits: 20 credits = $8.99. 50 Credits = $19.99. 100 Credits = $34.99.

Reactions: Ubiety and Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I don't read it that way. It appears to me that you have to have a subscription to use, $17.99 a month gets you 10 credits. If you use those 10 credits then you pay $0.50 per credit/message or you can buy additional credits.

Data Plan
No Activation Fee. No Contract. Cancel Anytime.

$17.99/mo Base Plan
  • 30 day connection to the satellite network
  • Includes 10 credits
  • SOS monitoring
  • Dedicated phone number
  • Access to detailed downloadable maps

• Unused credits roll over when user continues monthly base plan
  • Bivystick still works after all credits are used at a rate of $.50ea
  • Additional credit packs available at a discount
Or $59.99/mo for Unlimited Credits

Additional credits: 20 credits = $8.99. 50 Credits = $19.99. 100 Credits = $34.99.
Talking to their staff just now, I get the impression that 10 credits are included in the $17.99 plan. If you use 7 of your credits for the $17.99 plan, you'll have X+3 credits the next time you buy another installment of X credits (e.g. $8.99 for 20 credits - the 3 credits from the last monthly purchase roll over).

If you need to send an emergency message after expending your 10 credits with the $17.99 plan, and before buying another installment of credits, you can always do so for $0.50 per message. So if you don't use the Bivystick for a year, long after you last bought credits, you can still use it to send a message, get a map, track for an hour, or send an SOS for 1 credit; $0.50.

That's what I took from this conversation at least:

100745 100749 100750

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It seems like if you just want to stay in touch off-grid, and don't care about some downtime, or you're in a predictable location (e.g. a cabin) the SatPaq has some advantages in terms of cost.

SatPaq is a neat looking product and it has some advantages for sure; I love that they deliver weather reports to you! When you guys get one of each we can do a head to head ;)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It appears that it does.
I wonder how well the SatPaq pointing app works; it will be dependent upon the phone’s magnetometer which are notoriously inaccurate - e.g. in the presence of a magnetic field or large ferrous metal object like an over landing rig. I have used a number of phone based sat finders and they never seem to work very well for me - pointing way off. Could be my old iPhone, should try the new iPad to see if things have improved. In one system that I am familiar with the magnetometer is disregarded because of innacuracies and GPS heading, if in motion, is used. But that is a different, and much costlier, beast.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, just wondering and applying some experience with GEO sat systems. I think @Baipin had a great thought about the SatPaq from a cabin with a known good view. Regardless I would take any of these over nothing.

Good conversation!