Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Is there a purpose in having it off?
Keeping the InReach off ? I suppose some people don't want to use the battery. Another feature is you can set the InReach to track and it will track your trip. You can have people authorized to see the track .

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Saving the battery basically. Although it can take a while to find satellites, it's never taken more than a few minutes in my experience.
I would be using it in/around my vehicle so multiple power sources would be available.

Keeping it on ,also allows you to receive messages in real time instead of in a batch whenever you turn it on.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Keeping it on ,also allows you to receive messages in real time instead of in a batch whenever you turn it on.
Yeah I wouldn't foresee any real circumstances where I would just turn it off, when the whole purpose is to have it on.

If the Garmin does everything the Iridium does and does it for less money then it is a good choice, but I don't think it does.

I'm not keen to fall into the "just buy this because I have it trap".

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Yeah I wouldn't foresee any real circumstances where I would just turn it off, when the whole purpose is to have it on.

If the Garmin does everything the Iridium does and does it for less money then it is a good choice, but I don't think it does.

I'm not keen to fall into the "just buy this because I have it trap".

The InReach is data only (messaging) comms. It also has a app Earthmate with mapping that is excellent. The Iridium Sat phone is for voice comms.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The InReach is data only (messaging) comms. It also has a app Earthmate with mapping that is excellent. The Iridium Sat phone is for voice comms.
No, specifically I am looking at Iridium Go 9560, which allows all of the functions that your smart phone which you would tether to it has (low download speeds) voice,text , data.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I want to add this one to the list. Does anyone have any experience with Zoleo?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
No, specifically I am looking at Iridium Go 9560, which allows all of the functions that your smart phone which you would tether to it has (low download speeds) voice,text , data.

If you go that way get the external antenna . That was not available when I got my sat phone.

Wtf3rap

Rank II

Contributor III

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Freeman
Member #

From what I understand, those are a lower level of service (i.e. no voice) that are basically a global inReach that benefit from the worldwide coverage. Same general concept as the Garmin though so not really necessary unless you find yourself venturing outside Garmin's coverage.

I have the InReach as well and provides a sense of security when going solo. Have wanted to get a sat phone so could more easily check email. Definitely will look into this. Thanks
That link gives a good description, basically serves to merge your cellular device to satellite, so phone, internet sms, GPS, etc.

I would rather use a bridge device than a stand alone device, the Iridium allows up to 5 connected devices at a time.

BigDogYJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Jamison
Last Name
Donato
sorry this is kinda long....
But, I've been an Iridium customer for the past 10+ years and have had both 9555/9575 phones for work as I'm on call 24/7 for some critical services and travel to remote areas (in the US) without cell coverage a few times a year and both devices have been really solid for voice comms and limited txt messages (think old school nokia interface -- minus snake). In recent years I have had several inreach devices, Mini, Explorer+ and more recently the Garmin Montana 750i. I will say the Garmin service (although uses Iridium for Sat services) usually works just fine. they have had their share of service outages and issues (affecting the website and new device activations -- not Iridium sat services) but generally its a great option for the $$. I switched to the Montana device as it has a much better touch screen interface for typing messages without the need to be paired to a smart phone, but it's not cheap and is quite a bit bigger than the other inreach models but i'm pretty happy with it. i still keep the iridium phone with me as well for critical voice comms, but find myself using the inreach more frequently than the phone.

My opinion regarding the mobile data options with the Iridium Go unit is its extremely limited. its not a simple wifi hotspot that allows your phone full data access over the Iridium network. Once your phone is connected via wifi, you have to use its own application (which is pretty frustrating at times) to make calls or access data services (email, messaging, etc). It is sLoW. Think of the old dial-up internet speeds (if you've been on this earth long enough to remember that) and its basically about 1/3 of that. Iridium finished launching a new constellation of satellites (called NEXT) about 2 years ago. This has increased their capacity and data speeds (up to early DSL speeds). they have been focusing on adding additional products to the government and maritime portfolio. They will begin upgrading their consumer side services in the next year. It's unclear if current hardware will be able to take advantage of these new data speeds. Because of this I'd hold off on the Iridium Go unit. Stick with an inreach for now if you just need txt messaging and gps tracking. Its likely the best bang for the buck. Hope this helps.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

sorry this is kinda long....
But, I've been an Iridium customer for the past 10+ years and have had both 9555/9575 phones for work as I'm on call 24/7 for some critical services and travel to remote areas (in the US) without cell coverage a few times a year and both devices have been really solid for voice comms and limited txt messages (think old school nokia interface -- minus snake). In recent years I have had several inreach devices, Mini, Explorer+ and more recently the Garmin Montana 750i. I will say the Garmin service (although uses Iridium for Sat services) usually works just fine. they have had their share of service outages and issues (affecting the website and new device activations -- not Iridium sat services) but generally its a great option for the $$. I switched to the Montana device as it has a much better touch screen interface for typing messages without the need to be paired to a smart phone, but it's not cheap and is quite a bit bigger than the other inreach models but i'm pretty happy with it. i still keep the iridium phone with me as well for critical voice comms, but find myself using the inreach more frequently than the phone.

My opinion regarding the mobile data options with the Iridium Go unit is its extremely limited. its not a simple wifi hotspot that allows your phone full data access over the Iridium network. Once your phone is connected via wifi, you have to use its own application (which is pretty frustrating at times) to make calls or access data services (email, messaging, etc). It is sLoW. Think of the old dial-up internet speeds (if you've been on this earth long enough to remember that) and its basically about 1/3 of that. Iridium finished launching a new constellation of satellites (called NEXT) about 2 years ago. This has increased their capacity and data speeds (up to early DSL speeds). they have been focusing on adding additional products to the government and maritime portfolio. They will begin upgrading their consumer side services in the next year. It's unclear if current hardware will be able to take advantage of these new data speeds. Because of this I'd hold off on the Iridium Go unit. Stick with an inreach for now if you just need txt messaging and gps tracking. Its likely the best bang for the buck. Hope this helps.
Awesome, thank you very much for taking the time to share that, very helpful and much appreciated!

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

So would the inreach be a better option to the weboost?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
So would the inreach be a better option to the weboost?
Two different things. A WeBoost amplifies cellular telephone signal . I stress amplifies the signal , it does not create a signal. An InReach is a Iridium satellite 2-way messaging, tracking and SOS capable device.

Reactions: BCMoto