Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
thinking about making a trip up to Santa Fe, NM for a couple of days to work, wheel, hike, and ride mountain bikes. would probably be leaving this weekend and be gone the first half of the week.

does anyone have any recommendations for trails to either drive or ride on in the area, or blm/public land i can also camp on during the time im out there?

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Check out the Enchanted Rockies trail (ERT) going north of Santa Fe. I traveled it south from Colorado and was pretty scenic.

Not sure how you plan on traveling up there but might consider part of the New Mexico backcountry discovery route (NMBDR).

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

In addition, bring everything you need with you. NM is on lock down again and local PD's likes to pull out of state plate vehicles over to find out what they are doing, quarantining, etc. Especially reservation PD. We are going to NM next week to disperse yurt/camp and will bring everything with us. Stop only for fuel on the way.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
yeah the more i'm looking into it the more im realizing:
1. the weather will be crappy for mountain biking and outdoors stuff (main motivation)
2. being in town to do anything will be a challenge because theyre in lockdown for the most part

lesson from this is i should have looked into it more from the public health side of things.

it's probably in everyone's best interest for me to postpone this one and just go camp for the weekend somewhere close by, do some maintenance on the truck, and enjoy the down time

not my favorite but itll do for now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
thinking about making a trip up to Santa Fe, NM for a couple of days to work, wheel, hike, and ride mountain bikes. would probably be leaving this weekend and be gone the first half of the week.

does anyone have any recommendations for trails to either drive or ride on in the area, or blm/public land i can also camp on during the time im out there?
If your driving I-10, try not to stop in el paso. That place should be bypassed. C-19 is everywhere there. Las Cruces is not much better. Small towns, back roads are safer if you are cautious and dont take risks. Santa Fe (little California) area is not safe either.

Reactions: LostInThought

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
If your driving I-10, try not to stop in el paso. That place should be bypassed. C-19 is everywhere there. Las Cruces is not much better. Small towns, back roads are safer if you are cautious and dont take risks. Santa Fe (little California) area is not safe either.
thanks, i've decided to stay in warmer climes and keep to myself in the hill country for now

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Here's a screen shot of NM's current situation off the dashboard... I'll echo that I'm seeing state/tribal/local police pulling over vehicles with out of state plates, but I don't know if it's a policy or a coincidence. The 14day self-quarantine is "mandatory" and there is apparently "government help" available to those who aren't cooperating with the quarantine. There used to be an exception if you had a negative test, but that appears to have been removed.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 16.41.17.png

Last edited:
Reactions: IceBear505

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Here's a screen shot of NM's current situation off the dashboard... I'll echo that I'm seeing state/tribal/local police pulling over vehicles with out of state plates, but I don't know if it's a policy or a coincidence. The 14day self-quarantine is "mandatory" and there is apparently "government help" available to those who aren't cooperating with the quarantine. There used to be an exception if you had a negative test, but that appears to have been removed.

View attachment 177409
Good to know since I was planning another trip to Guadalupe and Lincoln in 2 weeks...

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Well since you're not going it doesn't matter now but the Carson National Forrest is huge and hard to go wrong with.

Guadamuz_j

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Guadamuz
Member #

I arrived in New Mexico on the 8th from California and was able to explore northern New Mexico for a week , since then the lock down took affect, currently the Jicarilla Apache reservation is on full lock down no entering or leaving the rez. Im currently safe and taking all precautions hopefully when the lock down is lifted ill be able to continue to explore, getting back to CA may be a bit tricky since they are imposing 10 pm to 5 am curfew. Stay safe out there

Reactions: USStrongman

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Well since you're not going it doesn't matter now but the Carson National Forrest is huge and hard to go wrong with.
if i was more equipped to deal with a multiday trip and camping in possibly incliment weather, as well as working remote while overlanding, i would be all about it. i need to do some research on what i can get away with, work-wise, to be that remote when working remote.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

When NM was on lockdown over Fathers Day weekend, we went to Taos Mountain for 5 days. The mountain itself was easily accessible. The mountain village had two places open - grocery and the cantina. It was in Aroyo Seca between Taos proper and the mountain where it was interesting. It was packed with locals. Hardly any employees wore masks at the grocery, coffee and bakery we stopped at. As if no one got the state memo!

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

View attachment 177409
More Info: Multiple Alberstons and Walmarts in Santa Fe and Albuquerque have been shut down until Dec 2, due to C-19 outbreaks...

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

NM is one F'd up governed place.
Generally, no. I've lived all over the country and I find I really like NM's mostly hands-off approach.

But COVID is a serious problem here. It's ravaging the Pueblo's and reservations. It's even hammering the National Security Sites within the state. Even the national labs that manage our nuclear deterrent stockpile have hundreds of cases internally at this point. They've had to shut down grocery stores and Walmarts because of virus spread among employees. As your earlier post pointed out, too many people are still not taking masks seriously and it's killing jobs, shutting down our schools (some districts are even out of substitutes), and got us into another round of lockdowns. We just don't have the hospital capacity or staff available in other states. We've been setting new records every day or so for over a month now and the daily case counts are now running 50x what they were just a couple months ago. Heartattack? We're approaching the point where you'll have to heal on the sidewalk.

A while back people were asking "do you personally know anyone that got sick?" The question now is "how many do you know who have died?" I'm lucky so far... only one.