Upstate South Carolina
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Cadwallader
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4UDK
Not a vehicle build but still a relevant question. I am going on a trip in a month or so to the outer banks of NC and found a beach you are allowed to drive on. Does anyone have any ideas about building a sand anchor for a winch. I have an 8000 lb Warn winch on my Xterra but need something to serve as an anchor. (Other than the spare tire)
My preference would be something that can fold up or is small.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Shovel and a spare tire, dig hole, insert spare, attach srap to spare, attach winch line to strap, bury spare tire, start winching out.

But you don't want to hear about that so my number 1 tip would be for you to half your tire pressure put it in 4wd and turn off traction control. And don't loose your momentum.

Other than a deadman ie a tire or heavy duty tarp by the same name, there isn't any other anchor that will work in soft sand.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Smitty built WASP or the original Pull Pal. You could also get on Craigslist & find an old 18” spade style or bigger anchor. You’d have to dig a hole just like a spare but it’ll work.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

First air down! start at a little more than half. I air down to 1/3 for most beaches. Keep going until you stop then you digging a ramp out. DO NOT SPIN THE TIRES you are digging holes.

WesCad

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Upstate South Carolina
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Cadwallader
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4UDK
Just bought the Deadman 4x4 anchor. I will let you know how it works in a few weeks.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'd rather use a 33" tire, the deadman is still gonna require a 50"x 50" hole in the ground the tire is only a 35"x35" hole.
Just so you know this isn't one of those things you can watch a video about and instantly be an expert on. Don't count on the deadman to get you out and be easy to do and you may pull it completely out of the ground a few times if it's not buried deep enough or angled right . At which point its better to just learn how to properly drive on sand. The best way to get unstuck from sand is another rig and a snatch strap, a winch is great in areas with solid anchor points but in sand it can be a lesson in futility.