US Rocky Mountain San Luis Valley Overland Rally hosted by SLV Great Outdoors and the Colorado Farm Brewery

• HTML tutorial

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

An opportunity to introduce some overland routes through the San Luis Valley and surrounding mountains. The Colorado Farm Brewery is hosting us so we will have the opportunity to taste some great beverages and explore the surrounding landscapes. Planning on camping there both nights, but everyone is free to feel inspired and explore and camp at their own pace as well.

We will do guided drives through some unique country on Saturday. Depending on time and the vehicles that show up, we have several options in the Southern San Juans around Alamosa Canyon before heading across the San Luis Valley to the Rio Grande Natural Area. We will have opportunities to visit historic homesteads and petroglyphs along the Rio Grande Gorge. Saturday evening social at the Colorado Farm Brewery. They will have a food truck available, and of course tasty beverages. The Farm Brewery has outdoor games for all and an easy going atmosphere for hanging out for the evening. Check it out at https://www.cofarmbeer.com/ .

There is of course more to do than hanging out at the Farm Brewery. If you are interested in hot springs, fishing, climbing, or mountain biking, let me know and I will continue to update with information.

Sunday will provide a multitude of ways to exit the San Luis Valley depending on what direction you are heading, but certainly Medano Pass (currently closed) for those heading east, Elwood Pass for west bound, and the Del Norte National Monument for anyone heading south.

View Rally Point

Attachments

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
No cost to attend and participate. We are keeping it lowkey, but will accept donations on site for help with a few costs. Not expected, but appreciated.
Other than the ride on Saturday, what sort of other activities can we expect?

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

No cost to attend and participate. We are keeping it lowkey, but will accept donations on site for help with a few costs. Not expected, but appreciated.
Hey Neal, I updated the description. I will upload some of the route options for Saturday next week. --Mick

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

Hey Neal, I updated the description. I will upload some of the route options for Saturday next week. --Mick

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

Any more detail of the drives other than Medano? I\'m interested.
Hi Rick, Actually Medano is now closed. We have had a tremendous Monsoon season so far, and I guess the roaded is now washed out. They do not expect to get it open anytime soon from the last I heard. Depending on your rig, Marshall Pass maybe an option for those heading North on Saturday. I updated the description today, but will map out some of the suggested routes for Saturday this week. Mick

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks! It looks like you updated just the forum post and not the original Rally Point. Was that your intent?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi Rick, Actually Medano is now closed. We have had a tremendous Monsoon season so far, and I guess the roaded is now washed out. They do not expect to get it open anytime soon from the last I heard. Depending on your rig, Marshall Pass maybe an option for those heading North on Saturday. I updated the description today, but will map out some of the suggested routes for Saturday this week. Mick
What about Hayden Pass?

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

Thanks! It looks like you updated just the forum post and not the original Rally Point. Was that your intent?
Thanks, got it, I am still learning my way around this system I guess.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hayden is probably a good alternative to Medano, but I haven't been up there this year. I will see if I can find out its condition.
A friend ran it a couple weeks ago and didn't mention any issues.