Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

Hi all I'll be in San Francisco on tomorrow, Monday 30 October and all the parking seems to be a lot of theft from vehicles my land rover defender is too high for a parking garage ,so does anybody know any safe parking I can park nearby peer 33 because I want to visit Alcatraz but wat my stuff to be Safe as it's a UK registered and I'm living out of it for 5 years on my round the world trip, thanks Andy

itsoutside

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fairfax CA, USA
First Name
Conor
Last Name
Burns
Member #

I'm in the city often for work and play. It's a mess! Don't leave anything inside your car. I park at ocean beach (daily this time of year) and keep my car completely empty. I also leave the glove box and center console wide open when I'm out surfing. Some of my friends leave their windows open as well to show there's nothing to be stolen. I don't do that as I feel thats asking for your rig to get stolen. To answer your question, I don't know of an absolute safe place to park. Maybe somewhere with a valet service? Although crime and theft are rampant in SF, I park there at least 100 times a year and I've never had a problem over 25 years. I guess it's a numbers game in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: landyandy4x4

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
There should be an outdoor parking lot right outside the boat terminals. Plenty of tourist walking by so the bad guys would have to be ballsy to attempt something around a croud of people? You'd hope.

Reactions: landyandy4x4

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I hope this worked out. I was going to say park in Sausalito and take the ferry across. Or maybe park in Fort Mason or the Marina and then take public transportation.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
bourbon street in new orleans has way more human waste decorating the sidewalks than san francisco...the reason you dont hear so much about it is because the rich have built balconies so they dont have to step in any of it. sometimes you just have to think outside of the box...or in this case, think outside the toilet bowl! :grinning:

1698973396266.png

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi all I'll be in San Francisco on tomorrow, Monday 30 October and all the parking seems to be a lot of theft from vehicles my land rover defender is too high for a parking garage ,so does anybody know any safe parking I can park nearby peer 33 because I want to visit Alcatraz but wat my stuff to be Safe as it's a UK registered and I'm living out of it for 5 years on my round the world trip, thanks Andy
Hi Andy,

Check out the OB Map and see if there are any members nearby the area you are heading for. Maybe someone can help you with that of you contact them directly.

Something I like to do to visit something in a bigger city is to get a safe spot for the rig at a hostel or a small hotel or a campsite outside and then take public transportation or a cab.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Bjoern

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I don't know about San Francisco, but I look for secure undercover parking away from the city. I find that places that offer alternatives to airport parking, away from the actual airport, sometimes provide this. I then travel by public transport and stay in hotels.
I think Bjoern's idea is good too, even if the member's place is 1-2 hours from those cities. You don't need a vehicle to get around.

landyandy4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

Thanks all I stopped in the car park at pier 27 there was me and one other car there out of a 100 spots I moved everything out of the way, I just hidden everything that I didn't want to go and took the most important thing with me , I left it right in the middle of the car park, and it was ............,............... fine I was lucky, thanks for all your suggestions, give me death valley or Moab anyday

Yeti4x4DMV

Rank II

Contributor III

Severn, MD 21144, USA
First Name
Yeti4x4DMV
Last Name
Adventurer
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Glad it worked out. Buddy got his rental jacked up while he walked across the street to the Full House house.