Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
Please don’t get super excited this thread is for fun and my opinion by observing the event going around me . You can ask me why , support me or oppose me. Just remember we do this for fun no need to get rude.

Reactions: grubworm

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
Please don’t get super excited this thread is for fun and my opinion by observing the event going around me . You can ask me why , support me or oppose me. Just remember we do this for fun no need to get rude.
SAN DIEGO IS CAPITAL OF OVERLANDING IN UNITED STATE.
It’s people
It’s trails
It’s parks
It’s numerous manufacturers for purposes
It’s relevant media ( you know who)
Number of members in OB

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i went to boot in san diego and then years later was stationed at point loma...i always liked the area. awesome weather and tons of things to see and do all within a few hours drive. i'll agree with you....

Reactions: Masis Eric

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I kinda agree, I would say So. Cal. is but I am a So. Cal. guy. How we overland is very different than many other areas.

Reactions: Masis Eric

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
I kinda agree, I would say So. Cal. is but I am a So. Cal. guy. How we overland is very different than many other areas.
Can you give us more clues like how different is SoCal when it comes to a overlanding ? Please

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Can you give us more clues like how different is SoCal when it comes to a overlanding ? Please
We have less rain & mud.
We drive to the snow and cold temps it's rare to get below 30*.
We tend to be in the desert.
We drive for forest.
Sand dunes for days.
Many of us like big wide tires for the sand. Many of the snow places like a skinny tire.
We can go for weeks and no rain.
More People & crowds.
Tons of folks kitting up their rigs for a couple of trips per year.
We have Baja a couple (+/-) hours away.
It's different a cross country trip opens you up to so many different conditions. We have it easy.
I am sure this will upset a few. Your Mileage May Vary.....

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
We have less rain & mud.
We drive for forest.
Sand dunes for days.
Many of us like big wide tires for the sand. Many of the snow places like a skinny tire.
More People & crowds.
It's different a cross country trip opens you up to so many different conditions. We have it easy.
PLUS...y'all have a bunch of state beaches right up I-5 and then I-8 to Yuma is cool with a lot dunes by the border. Joshua Tree is close, Salton Sea...all kinds of camping out by Pine Valley. San Bernadino.
I graduated high school in '85 out in west Texas and right after, I went to San Diego for bootcamp and radio school. Being in that area after living in baren west texas all those years...all i did was drive around and sight see the whole time i was there. i'm taking the wife to san diego this september and then hopping on PCH and riding the coast all the way up to seattle. hadn't been in san diego since getting orders there to the uss houston ssn713 in 1990. had my first fish taco in san diego and spent a lot of time at moose mcguillicutty's and froggys notion....:grinning:

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
soooo true. It is also the people we tend to pack up and drive cuz just 2 hours either direction as you said is a completely different world . I mean different.
We have less rain & mud.
We drive for forest.
Sand dunes for days.
More People & crowds.

Reactions: grubworm and MMc

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
We have less rain & mud.
We drive for forest.
Sand dunes for days.
More People & crowds.
PLUS...y'all have a bunch of state beaches right up I-5 and then I-8 to Yuma is cool with a lot dunes by the border. Joshua Tree is close, Salton Sea...all kinds of camping out by Pine Valley. San Bernadino.
I graduated high school in '85 out in west Texas and right after, I went to San Diego for bootcamp and radio school. Being in that area after living in baren west texas all those years...all i did was drive around and sight see the whole time i was there. i'm taking the wife to san diego this september and then hopping on PCH and riding the coast all the way up to seattle. hadn't been in san diego since getting orders there to the uss houston ssn713 in 1990. had my first fish taco in san diego and spent a lot of time at moose mcguillicutty's and froggys notion....:grinning:
Great times as well as exciting plans for future. Make sure you do the trip along the coast because of you don’t you will regret. In your way up spend a night at Moonstone Beach they have both nice small hotels and camp ground really close to each other .
California coast is beautiful

Reactions: grubworm and MMc

FindAReason

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hale
This seems as good a place to ask as any.

I have an OME lift kit and UCA's for an '07 FJ that need installing, but I just don't have the space to lift the truck high enough in my garage to do the job. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop in the San diego area?

If it is the overlanding capital of the country, it should have plenty of good options, right?

Reactions: grubworm

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

SAN DIEGO IS CAPITAL OF OVERLANDING IN UNITED STATE.
It’s people
It’s trails
It’s parks
It’s numerous manufacturers for purposes
It’s relevant media ( you know who)
Number of members in OB

Totally agree. 100%.

Everyone should completely avoid Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Nothing to see there. At all. Go to California. Honest!
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

(seriously, SoCal is pretty hard to beat)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

This seems as good a place to ask as any.

I have an OME lift kit and UCA's for an '07 FJ that need installing, but I just don't have the space to lift the truck high enough in my garage to do the job. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop in the San diego area?

If it is the overlanding capital of the country, it should have plenty of good options, right?
Off the top of my head, Stewart’s Raceworks. San Clemente BajaHR. Dirt King, JD fabrication.

Reactions: FindAReason

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Totally agree. 100%.

Everyone should completely avoid Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Nothing to see there. At all. Go to California. Honest!

This is exactly what happened in 1849.

And ever since, folks have been complaining about those who return to their states from California.

What's up with that?

Reactions: LostInThought

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
Totally agree. 100%.
It is not that there is nothing to see there . My intention is capital of overlanding not most sight seeing places . We just came back from Grand Canyon trip with family and enjoyed it every bit .
Next month Utah and more .
But main overland planners, manufacturing companies or media coverage is from San Diego ( not California)

This is exactly what happened in 1849.

And ever since, folks have been complaining about those who return to their states from California.

What's up with that?

Reactions: LostInThought