Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

My Samsung Galaxy Tab s3 just came in and planning on using it in a couple weeks on a camping trip. From just playing with the software on the tablet with it sitting in the front seat till my mount comes in it's pretty nice.

Reactions: william norton

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

As long as your tablet has a decent internal GPS and sufficient storage, I don't think the specific model really matters all that much.

I have an older Galaxy Note 8.0 (with S-Pen). I originally bought it for taking notes in college a few years back, which it was great for, but recently I've using it for navigation and social media while on the road.

It came with Google maps, but I've added Back Country Navigator Pro (rad!) and Torque Pro (also rad!), plus a handful of miscellaneous stuff.

It works great, but expanding the storage with a MicroSD was essential. I've downloaded topo maps for BCN for the state of Michigan and the files take up almost 20 GB. With a 64 GB card that leaves me plenty of room for taking photos (it actually has a pretty decent camera) and music for when I don't have data coverage for streaming thru my phone.

I've got hard copies of DeLorme Michigan Atlas and Gazetteer and Michigan Off Road Guide and Travel Atlas as backups, which have proven pretty indispensable as well; I'd argue you should get a decent set of paper maps and learn to use them, first, if you don't have them yet.

CaseyW

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

I run a S2 8", works well, but needs to be close to the windshield to get a good GPS signal. The work around is to use an external GPS antenna via Bluetooth. I haven't tried that but I've read about it on here.

If you are looking at mounts - RAM makes a tablet mount for it, ask them about via email as their website doesn't show any available. The one I have fits great (it's not the X-mount).

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.1. Love the big screen, and haven't had any issues with the GPS signal. Like was said I've got BCN and the micro SD card is essential. I also have Torque Pro which is great to see what's happening. You can't go wrong really with any tablet, just make sure it's in a sturdy mount.

william norton

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

santa rosa california
Member #

Reactions: OvrLnd4Runner

OvrLnd4Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Casselberry, Florida
Member #

Just dug out my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 last night and cleared out unrelated apps/files. I'll be trying it out for offroad Navi with google maps (downloaded maps) and Gaia.

OvrLnd4Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Casselberry, Florida
Member #

update for OP, here's mine mounted using a suction mount i found on amazon. works insanely well and doesn't wobble around like most mounts ive used in the past for my phone. There is a SLIGHT wobble but nothing that obscures the display.

LINK TO MOUNT

35547738_1178130802338117_1486674917733695488_n.jpg
35520574_1178130779004786_9125101303926620160_n.jpg

Works BEAUTIFULLY as a display for Torque Pro to monitor temps/etc

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have two Samsung Tablets, an older 10.1" and a newer 9.x". They both work well but the 10.1 is designed primarily for use in the 'landscape' orientation, where the smaller is set up like big phone (portrait orientation). Because of that I prefer the 10.1.

Tablet Navigation.jpg

OvrLnd4Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Casselberry, Florida
Member #

I have two Samsung Tablets, an older 10.1" and a newer 9.x". They both work well but the 10.1 is designed primarily for use in the 'landscape' orientation, where the smaller is set up like big phone (portrait orientation). Because of that I prefer the 10.1.

View attachment 59121
That spot looks pretty sweet. What mount are you running?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

I have been using an older RCA 10" tablet loaded with GAIA linked to a Bluetooth GPS puck. The tablet and RAM mount have proven to be adequate but bulky. Yesterday I picked up a Lenovo 8" from Walmart and plan to use that. I need to see if it has internal GPS or if I will need to keep using the puck.

Old config:
IMG_7562 by CAISOB Taco, on Flickr
IMG_7567 by CAISOB Taco, on Flickr

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

That spot looks pretty sweet. What mount are you running?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not one that I would recommend! lol

Seriously though, it's just a generic flexible one that attaches to the passenger seat bolt. It's not terrible but moves a bit more than I would like. I will probably be moving to some form of Ram mount once I decide if I am keeping this Jeep or moving forward with a van build I have been contemplating.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

I have been using an older RCA 10" tablet loaded with GAIA linked to a Bluetooth GPS puck. The tablet and RAM mount have proven to be adequate but bulky. Yesterday I picked up a Lenovo 8" from Walmart and plan to use that. I need to see if it has internal GPS or if I will need to keep using the puck.
Let us know what you think of the Lenovo tablet, if you don't mind.

I've switched over to Motorola (Lenovo) phones from Samsung recently and been very pleased with them; much less bloatwear and simpler, more purely Android UI, which I like. I'm wondering if the same holds true with tablets.

Reactions: OvrLnd4Runner

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I run an old android tablet and use the Dual GPS puck for the signal. Use a RAM X-mount and it works great. I am having issues with deciding on a navigation app. I used to have an old iPad and used Scenic Maps. I really liked the app because a large section of the US (depending on which section you purchased) was cached on the device. I hate searching for maps to download for areas where I think I will be headed. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to how they are named. Any advice would be helpful on apps. I see BackCountryNavigator mentioned. Any feedback on that one?

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Let us know what you think of the Lenovo tablet, if you don't mind.

I've switched over to Motorola (Lenovo) phones from Samsung recently and been very pleased with them; much less bloatwear and simpler, more purely Android UI, which I like. I'm wondering if the same holds true with tablets.
So far, so good. I just got the X-Mount for it today. Much lighter and smaller footprint than the 10" tablet and the mount I have for it.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

DawgRaider

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morton
Member #

Theres probably an easier way but I have a galaxy tab with the earthmate app that I downloaded maps while at home for offline use.
Then while on the trail I have a garmin inreach that I bluetooth to the tablet. So far it has worked good for me.