Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I may be completely wrong, but my experience is that pretty much any recent Android tablet has GPS built in. Some tablet specifications do not list GPS explicitly but the tablet still has a GPS receiver, visit the manufacturer's website or call their customer support to confirm. This has been the situation since about Android 5 (Lollipop: introduced 2014). Most current version of Android is 10 (introduced 2019).

Last edited:

Kuba

Rank 0

Contributor I

Europe
First Name
bla
Last Name
bla
That's kind of what I had deduced. If it was mobile capable, it ran either A-GPS or GPS (still not understanding the difference). I will only run maps with power full time. Batteries are improving, but I have power to docking station for my phone and a 2nd unit, assumedly a Tab for GAIA only. I have a Lockpik for running movies from the harddrive or DVD in my RHB OEM head unit while moving. Not that I watch, but listening is nice for long road trips.
A-GPS stands for Assisted GPS. It uses GPS signal provided by mobile base stations. Good for urban areas where satellite signal can be distorted by buildings.

Swag Engineer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I run a Galaxy Tab S4 with BackCountry Navigator. The tablet has WiFi and GPS (Location Technology: GPS,Glonass,Beidou,Galileo) I have a bunch of stored map data and music so I can enjoy both while "booney bouncing" (as my mechanic calls it). I've been using it for a few years, and I really like the system. The pro version of BCN only cost $10 or $15 for a lifetime of use, and it does almost everything I want it to do. I still haven't been able to get it to track a route between two points, but I got pretty good at selecting dots to make a path (both in Google Earth and in BCN directly on the tablet). The 10.5" screen is just a little large since I also take it hiking, but those are the only two complaints I can think of.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the asnwers so far! Just ordered the Active Pro. Will share some experiences with it if anyone is interested!

Cheers, Bjoern
Hello,

Since my tablet was getting old and slowly, as I said, I recently ordered a Samsung Active Pro and a new RAM mount holder. In the meantime, both have arrived. The RAM mount holder is RAM mount-typically fantastic!

I've also done a few small trips with the new tablet in the car already:

- good satellite reception in the vehicle; Here I had something to think about, because in the last few days I have often heard that this is often not the case with various (newer) tablets and an external antenna would be necessary - not in my case.
- The device itself is significantly heavier than my old Samsung, time will tell how it works with the holder
- definitely makes a very robust impression
- easy to read even in sunlight
- so far no problem with switching off in the heat - here I had also heard lately that it was a problem with some tablets. Anywy, this was completely unknown to me from my old one - it didn't matter whether 45 + degrees in the car in the sun or "shock-frozen" at minus 30 - no problems, time will tellif this new one is also such robust
- Of course it is much faster compared to my aged tablet, zooming and scrolling the map is superfast and makes fun

I'm very satisfied with the new setup so far.

Cheers, Bjoern