Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
my 18th wedding anniversary is on May 25th. It also corresponds to a sweet 4 day weekend for me.
I am trying to decide between a family trip to moab for some offroading with our 11 yr old son and dog or a couples trip to Fruita/ Grand Junction for some mountain biking.
Any advice on overlanding trails, hot springs, swimming holes, and camping spots are greatly appreciated.
We did fins and things and hells revenge in January so any trail that is not worse than Hells is a welcome recommendation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

my 18th wedding anniversary is on May 25th. It also corresponds to a sweet 4 day weekend for me.
I am trying to decide between a family trip to moab for some offroading with our 11 yr old son and dog or a couples trip to Fruita/ Grand Junction for some mountain biking.
Any advice on overlanding trails, hot springs, swimming holes, and camping spots are greatly appreciated.
We did fins and things and hells revenge in January so any trail that is not worse than Hells is a welcome recommendation.
So you have a couple of options here.
1. you can join us for our memorial day event @ capital reef.

2. You can contact @Anchor Mtn he lives in the Moab, Ouray and is the Member Rep for that area he has a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
i have been using the search tool for days trying to find info..Never saw anything about that capitol reef event. shouldn't that show up in rally point or on the map? especially since I have been searching words in the title.

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

i have been using the search tool for days trying to find info..Never saw anything about that capitol reef event. shouldn't that show up in rally point or on the map? especially since I have been searching words in the title.
It was just posted today.

Reactions: Ldstruckn

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Come to Fruita and do it all.
We have Mtn Biking, hiking and wheeling all here in town.

Bikes:
Kokopelli/Loma Trails(My favorite - everything from flowy to techy),
18rd trails(flowy and fast),
Palisade Rim(lots of climbing but worth it)
Grand Junction Trails(mostly techy but still fun)

Hiking:
Mt Garfield
Mica Mine Trail
McDonald Canyon
Rabbit Ears
Rattlesnake Canyon(largest collection of Arches outside Arches NP)

Wheeling:
Kokopelli Trail/Rabbit Valley section. Fun and scenic. Theres a few small places technical spots but nothing bad.
Tabeguache Trail ~30 miles with one technical-ish boulder field.
Bangs Canyon area. Network of fairly easy trails and Billings Canyon(37" tires+)
21rd. Starts off fairly mild and fun until the "Alcove". From there you need to be pretty well built as it gets bad quick.

Swimming:
The nearest hot springs are in Glenwood Canyon or Ouray(both just under 2hrs away)
Theres a pool in Fruita with showers for like $7/person if you want to get out of the heat.
Theres probably no swimming holes that will be warm enough to swim in by then.

Camping:
LOTS of options.
18rd camprgound - $15/night, no electric, pit toilets
18rd Desert - Free, no facilities but you can walk/bike/drive to the pit toilets at the trailhead
Rabbit Valley - closer to the highway there are some RV/camper accessible sites or Follow the Kokopelli trail a few miles and take a left to Knowles Overlook Campground. Its pretty nice, perched on a cliff overlooking the Colorado River.
Campgrounds: James M Robb, Colorado National Monument are probably the best bets for not a standard RV park

I would say I could show you around.... But Ill be in Moab that weekend. ;)

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Do you think i could mnt bike and head to knowles overlook after dinner and get a place? I have a rtt so if i pull out to go somewhere to ride trails i will be taking camp with me.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
We were really trying for moab but will not arrive until friday afternoon and cant find any camping spots to reserve..so now we are back in planning stages.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Knowls on friday, 18 rd shuttling all day saturday, marriot sat night(dont judge, i needed a shower), horsethief bench sunday morning, and home sunday night to beat the storms...20190524_182323.jpeg20190525_104044.jpeg20190525_110036.jpeg20190525_131624_001.jpeg20190526_103713.jpeg20190525_092437.jpeg

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
I got up around 2am and just watched the sky for a good 10mins. Almost no wind compared to chyenne.