Zeek

Rank I

Contributor III

Wendover, ON, Canada
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Ouellet
I've got a Project truck but the only thing potentially stopping me from getting a safety is the work I've done on the frame. The Ontario guidelines for safeties leave a lot to interpretation, I'm confident its solid (more than the original), but after talking to a local mechanic over the phone he said that even if they look solid he doesn't usually pass, as he called it, "Patchwork Frames". Has anyone found a garage that is partially more tolerant of projects? or is the one mechanic I spoke to out of the norm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this build is as budget as can be, so more spending is not a viable option.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Hot rod enthusiasts are used to dealing with vehicle alterations. You might be able to make some contacts at a local car show. I often wonder how some of the rat rods I see get certified so they may be the guys you want to talk with first. Good luck with it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm not familiar with your standards. I can say if a frame isn't welded properly it will crack near the welds due to flexing. If I wasn't able to weld, I would be talking to fabricators, especially guys that build off road trucks. Street rod fabricators should be good also. general mechanics...Ehh it depends on actual skill. If they've never raced, they may not do a good enough job.
I know you want it to pass inspection but you also want it to last.

Zeek

Rank I

Contributor III

Wendover, ON, Canada
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Ouellet
Thank you guys for the advice I have found a decent shop that will repair my frame up to safety standards and then some. I have small kids I plan to take off-roading so this was the more expensive but safer solution.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thank you guys for the advice I have found a decent shop that will repair my frame up to safety standards and then some. I have small kids I plan to take off-roading so this was the more expensive but safer solution.
Best case right there, good move.

Reactions: madcratebuilder