Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I’ll add one thing - always carry a blade. Always.

Seems like such a small thing most days, but it can have a significant impact on your own survival and the rescuing of others. In the field I always carry a field knife (I’m a Bark River fan), around town it’s a small folder - but I always have one.
I agree with this, ALWAYS carry a blade everywhere you are. If you do not have it on you it's too far away if you need it now. Whether you actually carry a firearm or can't, won't you need a good, sharp knife with you always. Remember anything 2 legs or 4 that's worth stabbing is worth stabbing a lot, then get away and don't waste time looking back just go.

For those that spend time with the same people while on the road or in camp, develop a few "code" words that sound like regular conversation. That way when something is wrong or feels "off" you you can communicate with your buddys in a normal way. The meanings could be anything from "watch that guy over there" to "get in the truck and get ready to go" to "call for help". There are many things you can convey with a simple word that only your group knows.

Be safe, be aware, have fun and go often.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Excellent thread & read on a subject I’ve been considering.

I’ve also been wondering about vehicle & gear security when away from camp while hiking & exploring. I mean, is all your external gear locked down (hi lift/traction boards/propane tanks/etc)? Where do you hide radios/iPads/GPS units?

I mean, our rigs stand out & attract attention (unfortunately). What do you do to minimize that & secure/protect it all? There are tons of sketchy folks out there that want something for nothing & will go the distance to get it.

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Excellent thread & read on a subject I’ve been considering.

I’ve also been wondering about vehicle & gear security when away from camp while hiking & exploring. I mean, is all your external gear locked down (hi lift/traction boards/propane tanks/etc)? Where do you hide radios/iPads/GPS units?

I mean, our rigs stand out & attract attention (unfortunately). What do you do to minimize that & secure/protect it all? There are tons of sketchy folks out there that want something for nothing & will go the distance to get it.
I am a fan of innocuous/under the radar screen approach. I wouldn't put high priced/high value items on the outside of my vehicle just because it might create attention I dont want or need. I would rather have an all stock looking vehicle with everything of value hidden away where prying eyes wont see anything of interest.

It is difficult, especially for those in jeeps or smaller vehicles with limited storage choices, but one reason i like full sized vehicles is just that- my ability to look like a soccer mom's vehicle (or close to it) when I'm in the woods, at a trailhead or wherever. I dont need flashy.

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I am a fan of innocuous/under the radar screen approach. I wouldn't put high priced/high value items on the outside of my vehicle just because it might create attention I dont want or need. I would rather have an all stock looking vehicle with everything of value hidden away where prying eyes wont see anything of interest.

It is difficult, especially for those in jeeps or smaller vehicles with limited storage choices, but one reason i like full sized vehicles is just that- my ability to look like a soccer mom's vehicle (or close to it) when I'm in the woods, at a trailhead or wherever. I dont need flashy.
Right. This applied to my previous truck. Had a canopy but otherwise was stock. Now I’m lifted with rims & a tonneau & privacy glass all around. Most of our rigs look outfitted. I’m interested in security for them. I’m not looking to go back to stock.

Reactions: Paris0514

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Step #1: do not look like prey.

Around humans, good posture, shoulders back, head on a swivel. Try to see people before they see you.

In the wilderness, do as nature does. Put sunglasses on the back of your head.
Ha! That sounds like me at home when someone comes up my road. I’m at the end of a cul de sac & if ya don’t live up there, ya got no biness bein’ up there.

Reactions: SS308 and Paris0514

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

So what I’m gettin at...

Do you pack up camp for just a hike or bike ride or whatever?

Do you pull all your comms? Antennas attract attention. How bout all the bracketry that’s a dead giveaway?

Awnings? Ground or rooftop tents, stoves, totes, etc... Do you pack it all up in lockable totes & cable it all & padlock it all?
This is the kind o’ stuff I wonder to what extreme do I go?

I realize that a lot of it is all about location & gut feels, but any and all suggestions are appreciated.

OffroadRn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

Having traveled for backpacking, back country discovery, and Overlanding for over 15 years I have developed a mindset around safety and security.

Many of these ideas come from shared experience in travel and a former career as a Law Enforcement Officer of 12 years with 10 years being in SWAT as a sniper, multiple discipline instructor, and operator.

Currently I am a Safety Director for a company and continue to look for ways to keep people safe while completing tasks.

Understanding where I come from I hope provides context for my thoughts on safety and security.

Recently a family was attacked by a wolf in Banf National Forest in Canada.

Traveling internationally the husband did the best he could in my opinion and prevailed.

Here are some of my thoughts on security and safety while traveling.

Security is a state of mind.

Vigilance and pre-planning is the first step.

Be aware of your surroundings. (What’s around me, who’s around me, what animals are known to be in the area)

If confronted by animal or human always have an escape plan.

Be prepared to fight if flee is not an option. (By fleeing do I put others at risk? Can I escape?)

Fighting (humans or animals) is a dangerous gamble. Especially in the back country. (Injuries can be severe)

If forced into confrontation fight to finish as soon as it is necessary. (Human or Animal the faster the threat is mitigated less likely you incur further injury)

Never go half way. If it is a wild animal or a human, both can cause serious injuries and/or death.

-Firearms-
To carry a firearm is a serious question and should be heavily considered.
There are many who say they will carry a firearm but are ill equipped to use one.
Whether it be the individual’s training and experience and/or their mindset to use a firearm in self defense.

If you choose to have a firearm with you consider the following:
FOLLOW LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAWS
IF YOU CAN legally carry a firearm, carry it on you. (Each state has independent laws around reciprocity and carrying)(Anywhere than on your person is too far away in the moment you will need it)
Carry what you are comfortable using and carrying.

-Knives-
FOLLOW LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAWS
If you legally can carry a blade you should.
For field and bush work a fixed blade is more versatile.
If you don’t have a fixed blade carry a folder.

-Lights-
Handheld lights can be a dime a dozen.
Get a good tail switch light.
The switch should be momentary only. (Multi-function are not good for self defense)
Lights can be good for blinding animals/people in low light environments
They are also important if you are being forced to defend yourself at night.
If you can have two. Two is one in the light world.

-Training-
Be trained in wilderness training, self defense, and first aid.
Find training to learn backcountry skills: Navigation, gear necessities, survival training, etc..
Push yourself to learn basic self defense skills.

Personal experience has shown, if you have to fight human or animal you WILL have injuries.
Get basic CPR and First Aid training and/or Advanced Wilderness First Aid
Have the means to keep the red in and infections out.
Keep a good first aid kit with you.
Carry a tourniquet and understand when to use it.

This training is great for day to day injuries or assisting with allergic reactions or medical emergencies while in the back country.

-Security-
Security of gear and equipment depends on where I am.
If in the backcountry with my vehicle I don’t lock anything for good reason. It delays me from getting in the truck or getting something else out.
If I must walk away from the vehicle for some distance it is locked. If I am in town passing through and leave my truck I lock it.
I keep a spare key hidden on the truck in case I lose my main key.

-Communication-
Have means to communicate for help.
Whether it be Amatuer Radio, Sat Phone, Garmin InReach, and/or Cellular Device have the means to get additional resources if necessary.
Understand your equipment and its limitations.
Each communication device has it downfall. Know it and have another way to compliment it’s limitations.

-Closing Thoughts-
Knowledge is the best thing you can take with you anywhere.

Best part, it’s also the easiest thing to pack in the vehicle before you go if you take time to educate yourself.

View attachment 113077
Thanks for the comprehensive post. I will add to have a trauma tourniquet/stop the bleed kit in your first aid supplies!

RAMM

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ballarat VIC, Australia
First Name
David
Last Name
Ramm
Member #

Interesting food for thought. Generally when I'm out and about I do tend to be in holiday mode, so I could certainly benefit from more active situational awareness.
I'm lucky not to live anywhere with any apex predators. We have a few nasty critters about but you learn quickly how to keep out of their way.
The only danger's I'm always looking out for are Falling tree limbs and fire safety.

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Love seeing this thread so active!

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
I mean this 100% respectfully but I disagree with these assertions. Are there idiots out there who think they're Rambo and endanger others? Absolutely, just as there are people who text while driving and endanger people as well.

The primary goal of self defense is just that- defense. It is not confrontational and good self defense courses always teach diffusing situations. It is the idiot who uses a weapon as a means to encourage a confrontation.

But having said all that, just as we (apparently) agree that 4 legged animals do not live by the same rules we do, there are sadly 2 legged animals who behave similarly. And in those situations, when diffusing a confrontation isunavoidable, that a weapon may be needed. Fortunately I have never had to use a lethal weapon in one of these situations. But I can tell you 100% that the mere presence of such a weapon was the thing that diffused it. I realize that may be anathema to your thinking and that is okay. We can agree to disagree. But I think you've been a bit harsh in your assessment of those who choose to carry a weapon. Just my $0.02 and I wish you a good day! :)
Wilbah,

I totally agree with your statement. I would like to add I had to use pepper gel recently to get away from an aggressive person in a parking lot. While this might be seen to some as over the top, it allowed me to get distance and flee the situation an get to safety where i was able to call the police. It is always best to use less than deadly force, but push come to shove, I would have pulled my weapon if my life was in danger. One must not be afraid to use lethal force if it is necessary. Training is of utmost importance! Of course diffusing the situation is the best for all involved.

Thanks,
Kirk

Reactions: RedMochi

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I was deer hunting a few years ago, bow hunting, walking to the blind at about 4am. Just got to the blind when wolves started howling and I could hear them running around The blind. Couldn’t see them as it was still dark, but they were very close. Knives in hand I sat in the blind waiting for the attack that never came. After several minutes they moved away. Never been so scared in my life. I won’t walk to a blind in the dark anymore. Fellow hunters nearby heard the howling and wondered what was going to be attacked.

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
Down right scary. I have a night vision monocular. I love that thing.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've said it before, I am a gun owner. And I'm a gun owner in a blue state. I learned at a very early age from my Vietnam vet father. I'm not afraid of guns but I recognize that others are. So please understand where I'm coming from when I say this:

What I do know is that I acted differently at 20 and 25 than I do now at 50. What I Thought was diffusing a situation when i was 25, was nowhere near what i think of as diffusing at 50.

If you are licensed and trained, nobody can stop you carrying. But to pretend it is not there, and to use your head more - that is the answer Most of the time. Even more often than we tend to think.

Having humility and being humble is a lost art. We should be humble, even to the point of blaming yourself for any possible mix-up. UN-insult that person, if they percieve you have insulted them rightly or wrongly. Back down verbally. What's wrong with that? Nothing. As long as you are also prepared for the extremely rare case.

I was on Prince Edward Island last year and was backing up, trying to get some Charlottewn architecture into my picture, when I backed into a person. Do you know what they had the gaul to say to me? "Soory." Yep. I wasn't watching where I was going and a backed my ass up into someone. And they apologized to me. Not "hey watch where you're going!" Nope. Soory. Humble. So I apologized back for my mistake.

A lot of it IS situational awareness but it's more than that. As G.I. Joe said in the '80's, knowing is half the battle. But only half. Mitigation of circumstance is the other 49%. If there is a large group of rowdy people coming out of a bar, it is wise to move to the other side of the street. Never mind they are drunk and you know you could out-fight them or out stab them or out shoot them, or even that you will "probably" get through that crowd safely just walking through them. Best way to avoid punch is no be there. Move across the street and the problem never has a chance to develop.

I recognize that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try to de-escalate, or think you are escalating, sometimes things happen. Truth be told, that is very very rare. However if you are in the Bush and some interloper arrives hoping to make off with your food, your rig, or your wife, and he's a regular Charles Manson type of jamoke, there may just be no other way. I wouldnt want some psychopath approaching me in the middle of nowhere. I get it. And it obviously happens sometimes, just ask Ted Bundy's surviving victims. But the victimology shows that almost every one of them made a fatal or near fatal error in trusting someone they should not have.

So that's the trick, isnt it? Being polite, being humble, self deprecating even. But also mitigating risk, "not putting yourself in a position" to be taken advantage of.

My parents used to say watch both ways when crossing the street. I said "Ma, but I'm in the crosswalk, he has to stop." And she said: "you can be right, and still dead." So avoid the trouble as much as possible

WY_Tigger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Burghard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7YKP
Thanks for the great post. Always nice to keep the safety guy around to keep the rest of us mindful of the risks associated with adventuring.

Lived in Alaska for a few years and had to deal with brown bears, and while they must be respected, you can also find a way to enjoy the wilderness that they call home.

After reading a lot, we found out that there is a lot of bad information on brown bears, and only after talking with a local expert, did we find the best options for hiking in the wilderness.

So, do good research, but also search out experts that understand animal behavior.

I will never carry bear spray or put bells on my dogs.

Thanks again!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not being in bear country all that often, I'm curious, instead of bear spray and bells, what will you be doing? I've always been told that bells on your backpack bother a bear's ears and they move away from you. Is that bad advice?