Safest Way to Send Money for Forum Buys

• HTML tutorial

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Just a question here: anyone have any suggestions on the best way to send money for a purchase? I n ow PayPal and Venmo, but I’m potentially buying an expensive item for a friend on the forums here and I don’t want to send money then not get the item and then the person disappears. It’s a new member too, with not a ton of info. Just wondering if anyone has a good idea on how best to go about this. Send half and then half on receipt of items?Thanks!

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I buy and sell lots of stuff on forums. PayPal goods and services offers you protection against a dishonest buyer and can give you a refund if you dispute in 30 days. PayPal is annoying tho and refunds can get complicated. That said, I only buy from reputable people who have an established presence on the forum. Guns, vehicles or other really expensive items I only buy or sell in person for cash.

What are you purchasing? This forum or another?

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

I buy and sell lots of stuff on forums. PayPal goods and services offers you protection against a dishonest buyer and can give you a refund if you dispute in 30 days. PayPal is annoying tho and refunds can get complicated. That said, I only buy from reputable people who have an established presence on the forum. Guns, vehicles or other really expensive items I only buy or sell in person for cash.

What are you purchasing? This forum or another?
Thanks for the quick reply. It’s nothing super expensive (a Gobi rack), but I’d rather not be out that cash. PayPal has been pretty good, but you’re right in that they’re annoying. It’s on this forum, but the user doesn’t have what you’d call an established presence. So, maybe I just drop this one and get a Front runner haha

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Honestly, I go with my gut on online sales. If it’s a super good deal, I’d be inclined to think of making it a road trip to go get it and do the deal in person. I once drove 6 hrs one way after work on a Tuesday because I found a killer deal on a RTT. I’m sure the seller is fine but if you feel off or uncomfortable, just pass and buy new or wait for a more local deal.

I don’t mess around with buying/selling stuff online. I do it a lot, but if I get any type of off vibe, or I’m just not feeling it for some reason, I back out.

S

SubeeBen

DO NOT USE PAYPAL . I sold my teardrop trailer on PayPal & did a peersonal transfer from 1 paypal account to another. PayPal held my money for more than 2 weeks & gave me the biggest hassle I have ever dealt with in my life not to mention the $65.80 fee for being over $500.00. It was only $ 2250.00 & they said it was a very large amount of $. To me it is a good chunk of $ but I can honestly say if your doing anything over $ 500 they will hold your money & you will pay a fee & they will jack you around until you have spent 50 to 60 hours on the phone talking to supervisors then being disconnected call back wait on hold for another hour etc. Just my 2 cents PAYPAL SUCKS !!!

Reactions: Leclerc.27