Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I'm knee deep in it. A LOT of Restore and Replace, with some mods: TruTracs Frt & Rr w/4.88 regear, 5-33" BGF KM3s, headers (to address a crossover pipe issue w/the 3VZE), mech oil press gauge, big 3 wiring upgrade, and some other interior & ext. lighting stuff. I hope I get done in time to properly View attachment 187879View attachment 187880break in the diffs before the trip, lol. Pics taken 18Feb21 (btw, that's just water on the floor. My garage gets a little storm surge action, hahaha)
Looking good! Glad you're not waiting till the last minute to get your vehicle prepped. That'll be a sweet Overlanding vehicle (not too big; not too small; should get half-way decent gas mileage, etc.). And with the TruTracs front & rear, you should be able to feel confident you can go anywhere.

I'm a huge fan of the TruTracs front & rear. My other Overlanding vehicle is a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (bought new, now with 232,000 miles) with gears changed from 3.55 to 4.10, 2" lift, 33" tires (285/75/16"), and TruTracs front & rear. It'll pretty much go anywhere (especially in the snow!) thanks to the TruTracs front & rear.

Truck.1.jpgTruck bed camping.jpg

A few years ago my buddy bought a very-much used, high-mileage 1998 Jeep ZJ ($800 - "needed some work"), 4.0/auto, and we (mostly me) fixed it up for a little Overlanding trip. We put a 3.5" Iron Rock lift on it, 31/10.5/15") tires, changed out the 3.55 gears to 4.10 with TruTracs front & rear, and swapped out the factory rear Dana 35 axle for a "real" Dana 44 (not the ZJ aluminum center Dana 44A - we had a Dana 44 axle built for the Jeep from ECGS). He's still driving it.

We took that Jeep (and my trailer) from Texas (where I was stationed at the time), straight up through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then crossed the border up to northern Canada to Dawson City, and then ran the Dempster Highway all the way to Inuvik (the road wasn't open to Tuk yet at that time). And then back home.

I'm a huge fan of the TruTracs front and rear. I think they're the perfect Overlanding combo for your axles. If anyone's out there running open diffs and is considering adding something to help with traction off-road, consider putting a TruTrac at least in the rear axle (if can only do one end, do the rear first). They are invisible on the road - you won't notice they're there (unlike the Detroit Locker in the back of my TJ which can be noisy, clunky, and is very noticeable on pavement).

And this also shows you don't need the newest and most expensive vehicle with huge tires to go overlanding and have a great time.

ZJ parking garage.1.jpg

IMG_20160607_183859.jpg

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I'm knee deep in it. A LOT of Restore and Replace, with some mods: TruTracs Frt & Rr w/4.88 regear, 5-33" BGF KM3s, headers (to address a crossover pipe issue w/the 3VZE), mech oil press gauge, big 3 wiring upgrade, and some other interior & ext. lighting stuff. I hope I get done in time to properly View attachment 187879View attachment 187880break in the diffs before the trip, lol. Pics taken 18Feb21 (btw, that's just water on the floor. My garage gets a little storm surge action, hahaha)
Looking good! Glad you're not waiting till the last minute to get your vehicle prepped. That'll be a sweet Overlanding vehicle (not too big; not too small; should get half-way decent gas mileage, etc.). And with the TruTracs front & rear, you should be able to feel confident you can go anywhere.

I'm a huge fan of the TruTracs front & rear. My other Overlanding vehicle is a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (bought new, now with 232,000 miles) with gears changed from 3.55 to 4.10, 2" lift, 33" tires (285/75/16"), and TruTracs front & rear. It'll pretty much go anywhere (especially in the snow!) thanks to the TruTracs front & rear.

View attachment 187932View attachment 187933

A few years ago my buddy bought a very-much used, high-mileage 1998 Jeep ZJ ($800 - "needed some work"), 4.0/auto, and we (mostly me) fixed it up for a little Overlanding trip. We put a 3.5" Iron Rock lift on it, 31/10.5/15") tires, changed out the 3.55 gears to 4.10 with TruTracs front & rear, and swapped out the factory rear Dana 35 axle for a "real" Dana 44 (not the ZJ aluminum center Dana 44A - we had a Dana 44 axle built for the Jeep from ECGS). He's still driving it.

We took that Jeep (and my trailer) from Texas (where I was stationed at the time), straight up through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then crossed the border up to northern Canada to Dawson City, and then ran the Dempster Highway all the way to Inuvik (the road wasn't open to Tuk yet at that time). And then back home.

I'm a huge fan of the TruTracs front and rear. I think they're the perfect Overlanding combo for your axles. If anyone's out there running open diffs and is considering adding something to help with traction off-road, consider putting a TruTrac at least in the rear axle (if can only do one end, do the rear first). They are invisible on the road - you won't notice they're there (unlike the Detroit Locker in the back of my TJ which can be noisy, clunky, and is very noticeable on pavement).

And this also shows you don't need the newest and most expensive vehicle with huge tires to go overlanding and have a great time.

View attachment 187934

View attachment 187935
My neighbors had a ZJ w/the 4.0. I think it had 300+ when they begrudgingly sold it to get something newer. Dude's wife actually cried.

That last photo is beautiful!

The Dodge is sweet too!

I appreciate the affirmations on the TruTracs. The truck has been pretty good with open diffs, but, I'm looking forward to not having to engage 4wd just go up wet grassy hills, lol.

Everyone should do what makes them happy and confident. But, I totally agree that the latest and greatest is far from a requirement. It's the "Do" that's important. My buddy used to have a blast "wheeling" a lifted, open diff Sentra. Run what 'cha brung, as they say.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I've installed TruTracs in a few customer's rigs, they are probably the best all around non selectable lockers and work awesome in daily drivers. That picture of the Toyota 3 liter brings back memories, I made a lot of money doing head gaskets on those back in the day.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I've installed TruTracs in a few customer's rigs, they are probably the best all around non selectable lockers and work awesome in daily drivers. That picture of the Toyota 3 liter brings back memories, I made a lot of money doing head gaskets on those back in the day.
Appreciate to.positive words. I always loved the Torsen design. With the 90% workhorse/tractor use the truck gets, I thought they'd be the best option. Plus, if I'm lifting wheels off-road, it's by accident.

The original owner had Toyota do the gasket upgrade. He never had a problem after, nor have I. I do have repeated issue with valve covers leaking in the rear though. As you likely know, it all ties back to the crossover pipe. That's why I'm doing headers. Of course, since it wasn't designed to have exhaust run down the pass side, I'm sure there will be consequences I'll have to address, beyond the insulation I've installed.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
My neighbors had a ZJ w/the 4.0. I think it had 300+ when they begrudgingly sold it to get something newer. Dude's wife actually cried.

That last photo is beautiful!

The Dodge is sweet too!

I appreciate the affirmations on the TruTracs. The truck has been pretty good with open diffs, but, I'm looking forward to not having to engage 4wd just go up wet grassy hills, lol.

Everyone should do what makes them happy and confident. But, I totally agree that the latest and greatest is far from a requirement. It's the "Do" that's important. My buddy used to have a blast "wheeling" a lifted, open diff Sentra. Run what 'cha brung, as they say.
I'm glad you liked the picture from Canada - western and NW Canada is beautiful. I would have gone back this year, but with COVID and the questionable ability to cross into Canada, I decided to do the TAT - the trip I've been wanting to do for years anyways. Maybe next year.

Now I'm just playing. This has nothing to do with the TAT trip. Feel free to stop reading.

You want another adventure in 2022? How about kayaking in the Arctic Ocean?

arctic prerun.3.jpg

Here's the plan (it doesn't have to be with me - make your own adventure). Kayaks are optional.

Those of us on the West Coast can leave from Bellingham, WA heading to the Canadian border. We can cross over, and take 1 and go east, and then on 1 going up to Hope to catch 5, and continue north on 5 to Tete Jaune Cache at 16. Then west on 16 (Yellow Head Highway) to Prince George, where we will catch 97 north (West Access Route) which will bring us to Dawson Creek (the start of the Alaska Highway!) where we can all meet-up as a group (if folks are coming from a different direction).

Those coming from central or eastern USA can still meet in Dawson Creek. We will all meet at a pre-designated date/time/place.

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

From Dawson Creek we can follow 97 (Alaska Highway) up to Watson Lake. From Watson Lake, we’ll head to Whitehorse on 1, and then just north of Whitehorse we’ll catch 2 (Klondike Highway) and take it all the way to Dawson City (Dawson City is right outside the beginning of the Dempster Highway). In Dawson City we can do our final restocking/gassing-up before heading up the Dempster Highway. I’m figuring a good week to run up and back down the Dempster (about 600 miles up, and 600 miles back down to Dawson City again). There will be two free ferry crossings on the Dempster Highway to Tuk. Once started on the Dempster Highway, LITERALLY the first place to get gas (or anything) is at the 225-mile point at Eagle Plains (so jerry cans or extra large fuel tanks are mandatory). The Arctic Circle is just north of Eagle Plains. Your vehicle will get filthy running the Dempster Highway. Your MPG will suck. And it will be awesome!

IMG_20160603_200751.jpg

The Dempster Highway ends at Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada. We can camp there, explore the area, and those that brought them can put your kayaks in the Beaufort Sea. This is a bucket-list trip.

Dempster trip.5.PNG

Dempster trip.6.PNG

Dempster trip.7.PNG

Return Trip:

We can return down the Dempster Highway from Tuk to Dawson City to restock and clean-up (and maybe spend a full day-or-two enjoying Dawson City) before heading back down to Whitehorse on 2 (Klondike Highway), and then take 1 to Watson Lake.

At Watson Lake, we can change directions. If you're heading back east, you can go back the way you came. If you originally came from the west coast, Instead of going the way we came, we can head down towards Prince George on 37 (Cassiar Highway). 37 will take us to Kitwanga, where we can pick up 16 (Yellowhead Highway) heading east to Prince George at 97, and then take 97 south to Cache Creek where it turns into 1. Then continue south on 1 which brings us back down to Hope, and then back to the border crossing at Sumas and to Bellingham WA.

This is one of many possible trips up into Canada and Alaska. From Dawson City, it is a (relatively) short drive west on the "Top of the World Highway" into Alaska. How much time do you have?

If you're ever seriously considering a trip into western/NW Canada or Alaska, you need to buy the book "The Milepost". There's so many possible adventures up there!

Home - The MILEPOST

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I'm glad you liked the picture from Canada - western and NW Canada is beautiful. I would have gone back this year, but with COVID and the questionable ability to cross into Canada, I decided to do the TAT - the trip I've been wanting to do for years anyways. Maybe next year.

Now I'm just playing. This has nothing to do with the TAT trip. Feel free to stop reading.

You want another adventure in 2022? How about kayaking in the Arctic Ocean?

View attachment 187976

Here's the plan (it doesn't have to be with me - make your own adventure). Kayaks are optional.

Those of us on the West Coast can leave from Bellingham, WA heading to the Canadian border. We can cross over, and take 1 and go east, and then on 1 going up to Hope to catch 5, and continue north on 5 to Tete Jaune Cache at 16. Then west on 16 (Yellow Head Highway) to Prince George, where we will catch 97 north (West Access Route) which will bring us to Dawson Creek (the start of the Alaska Highway!) where we can all meet-up as a group.

Those coming from central or eastern USA can still meet in Dawson Creek. We will all meet at a pre-designated date/time/place.

View attachment 187978

From Dawson Creek we can follow 97 (Alaska Highway) up to Watson Lake. From Watson Lake, we’ll head to Whitehorse on 1, and then just north of Whitehorse we’ll catch 2 (Klondike Highway) and take it all the way to Dawson City (Dawson City is right outside the beginning of the Dempster Highway). In Dawson City we can do our final restocking/gassing-up before heading up the Dempster Highway. I’m figuring a good week to run up and back down the Dempster (about 600 miles up, and 600 miles back down to Dawson City again). There will be two free ferry crossings on the Dempster Highway to Tuk. Once started on the Dempster Highway, LITERALLY the first place to get gas (or anything) is at the 225-mile point at Eagle Plains (so jerry cans or extra large fuel tanks are mandatory). The Arctic Circle is just north of Eagle Plains. Your vehicle will get filthy running the Dempster Highway. Your MPG will suck. And it will be awesome!

View attachment 187968

The Dempster Highway ends at Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada. We can camp there, explore the area, and those that brought them can put your kayaks in the Beaufort Sea. This is a bucket-list trip.

View attachment 187975

View attachment 187974

View attachment 187977

Return Trip:

We can return down the Dempster Highway from Tuk to Dawson City to restock and clean-up (and maybe spend a full day-or-two enjoying Dawson City) before heading back down to Whitehorse on 2 (Klondike Highway), and then take 1 to Watson Lake.

At Watson Lake, we can change directions. If you're heading back east, you can go back the way you came. If you originally came from the west coast, Instead of going the way we came, we can head down towards Prince George on 37 (Cassiar Highway). 37 will take us to Kitwanga, where we can pick up 16 (Yellowhead Highway) heading east to Prince George at 97, and then take 97 south to Cache Creek where it turns into 1. Then continue south on 1 which brings us back down to Hope, and then back to the border crossing at Sumas and to Bellingham WA.

This is one of many possible trips up into Canada and Alaska. From Dawson City, it is a (relatively) short drive west on the "Top of the World Highway" into Alaska. How much time do you have?

If you're ever seriously considering a trip into western/NW Canada or Alaska, you need to buy the book "The Milepost". There's so many possible adventures up there!

Home - The MILEPOST
That sounds AWESOME! I've paddled the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf, and Sea of California, so adding the Artic Circle would be fantastic! Unfortunately, '22 is out for me. Our house is under contract with Piedmont Lithium, closing in July '22, w/90 days follow-on occupancy. It will be a busy Spring/Summer for us house hunting, and moving.

BTW, I have that EXACT same boat, down to the color, lol. Bang for the buck is tough to beat, although I'm sure you'd agree it's most happy on flatwater. It's quite dicey getting it past the surf, and I wouldn't go near any white over Class I, maybe II.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

General Note for Anyone trying to budget trip expenses. The Nat'l Avg gas/gal price has increased $0.13 in the last 9 days, about a penny a day. My guess is it will be $3.50, possibly pushing $4 by departure date. I know it's location dependent, but better to overbudget imo. I was using $3, but I'm moving to $4. Hopefully that provides a nice comfort margin, but who knows. Of course, it could drop to $2, and then I'll have a bunch of T-shirt $ :smirk:

Hope this is relevant to someone. The fuel prices, not my T-shirt money :wink:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That sounds AWESOME! I've paddled the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf, and Sea of California, so adding the Artic Circle would be fantastic! Unfortunately, '22 is out for me. Our house is under contract with Piedmont Lithium, closing in July '22, w/90 days follow-on occupancy. It will be a busy Spring/Summer for us house hunting, and moving.

BTW, I have that EXACT same boat, down to the color, lol. Bang for the buck is tough to beat, although I'm sure you'd agree it's most happy on flatwater. It's quite dicey getting it past the surf, and I wouldn't go near any white over Class I, maybe II.
I haven't made it all the way to Tuk yet (long story), so I'm just going by what I've seen in pictures of the water up there. The water seems pretty placid around Tuk. I'm sure it is weather and tide dependent, but when we were looking at a closer map, it seemed like a lot of it was more like inner waterways. I don't think there was any surf. My (our) kayaks definitely aren't designed for rough water. I do have a dry suit though just in case I get dunked in "just above freezing" water up there. But just being able to point to a globe and say "I kayaked up here" would be cool.

Here's the long story (of how trips don't always go the way you want them to go - read all the way to the second page with the trip report). Hopefully the link goes right to the thread (let me know if it doesn't). The thread is titled "Kayaking in the Arctic Ocean in August 2019".

long story link: FORUMS & DISCUSSIONS | Overland Travel Resources | Pacific Northwest (northwestoverland.com)

I would love to take my truck (pictured previously) on these long-mileage trips. I'll sometimes take it on shorter trips (like the Pacific Crest Overland Route - Oregon). It is very comfortable to drive long distances, I can easily stealth-camp in the back, and I can either pack everything in the back of the truck (Eight-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers fit nicely under the cot), or I can easily pull the trailer behind the truck so there's more room in the back of the truck when I'm sleeping, and still have plenty of room for "stuff".

However, doing cowboy math, figure (on an overlanding trip) the truck would average 10 - 11 mpg, and the Jeep averages 15 - 16 mpg. Over thousands of miles, that adds up to a lot of extra money spent on gas if I took the truck. I think that kayaking in the Arctic Ocean trip was going to be about 5,000 miles round-trip, and for me, this TAT trip is going to be around 7,500 miles. I'll be putting gas on my Cabela's credit card (and racking up my Cabela's points).

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I haven't made it all the way to Tuk yet (long story), so I'm just going by what I've seen in pictures of the water up there. The water seems pretty placid around Tuk. I'm sure it is weather and tide dependent, but when we were looking at a closer map, it seemed like a lot of it was more like inner waterways. I don't think there was any surf. My (our) kayaks definitely aren't designed for rough water. I do have a dry suit though just in case I get dunked in "just above freezing" water up there. But just being able to point to a globe and say "I kayaked up here" would be cool.

Here's the long story (of how trips don't always go the way you want them to go - read all the way to the second page with the trip report). Hopefully the link goes right to the thread (let me know if it doesn't). The thread is titled "Kayaking in the Arctic Ocean in August 2019".

long story link: FORUMS & DISCUSSIONS | Overland Travel Resources | Pacific Northwest (northwestoverland.com)

I would love to take my truck (pictured previously) on these long-mileage trips. I'll sometimes take it on shorter trips (like the Pacific Crest Overland Route - Oregon). It is very comfortable to drive long distances, I can easily stealth-camp in the back, and I can either pack everything in the back of the truck (Eight-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers fit nicely under the cot), or I can easily pull the trailer behind the truck so there's more room in the back of the truck when I'm sleeping, and still have plenty of room for "stuff".

However, doing cowboy math, figure (on an overlanding trip) the truck would average 10 mpg, and the Jeep averages 15 mpg. Over thousands of miles, that adds up to a lot of extra money spent on gas if I took the truck. I think that kayaking in the Arctic Ocean trip was going to be about 5,000 miles round-trip, and for me, this TAT trip is going to be around 7,500 miles. I'll be putting gas on my Cabela's credit card.
Link works perfectly! Thanks!

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
@armyRN your trip to Tuk sounds very much like what we want to do. We were able to keep our long planned trip to AK last summer by getting a short gig near Fairbanks that gave us the legal authority to cross into and through Canada on the Alaskan Highway. We wanted to go to Tuk while we were up there but the NW Territories were completely shut down and the Yukon was close. They gave us 24 hours to drive through which was impossible. We made it in 26 hours...but that’s another story.
Yeah the trucks will get dirty but so what?? Here’s our rig after going over Atigan Pass on the way to Deadhorse, the furthest North you can drive in North America.

DBF479DF-17F7-4E5C-8C3D-581231464F6A.jpeg

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ok the other day some of you guys were discussing fuel prices and how much you were going to budget for fuel for the trip. Those of you who use GAIA GPS, I’m not sure if you know this feature or not, but you can turn on “mile markers” and if you wanted to know how many miles a particular trail or track was, all you have to do is count them. In the case of the TAT route, it was quite a bit of counting. Here is what the map looks like with “mile Markers“ turned on.
71AE94A2-B34D-46E6-988B-3057DD3A064F.png
And for those who might be interested in a certain section of the TAT, here is a list I compiled while counting the miles we would be traveling from Ripley, WV to Port Orford, OR
Each section of the TAT is color coded, I labeled each colored section by the state it goes through, the only exception is the first section of the SOR was running along with a CO track so it was just easier to count the miles as a whole instead of trying to determine the colors because you can’t really tell unless you zoom in to completely separate the 2 tracks.

WV
red 145
magenta 19
TOTAL 164

VA
blue 104
purple 40
gray 34
green 151
purple 39
TOTAL 368

NC
orange 46
purple 36
gray 21
orange 52
purple 57
green 35
orange 24
or 6 miles hurricane creek road
blue 23
green 41
red 32
green 39
teal 45
TOTAL 451

TN
orange 30
green 28
magenta 19
purple 21
blue 26
red 16
green 16
blue 15
red 23
green 39
magenta 42
teal 33
orange 43
gray 54
orange 56
green 59
blue 48
gray 51
blue 60
teal 48
TOTAL 727

MS
green 61
orange 45
blue 95
purple 101
TOTAL 302

AR
green 219
blue 77
teal 87
TOTAL 383

OK
gray 405
red 314
TOTAL 719

NM
blue 70
TOTAL 70

CO & SOR 287
purple 56
orange 80
magenta 47
blue 69
blue 69
purple 22
Total SOR 630

WY
magenta 35
purple 125
orange 172
TOTAL 332

ID
blue 75
purple 153
blue 109
orange 67
blue 58
magenta 58
purple 18
green 31
TOTAL 569

POS
blue 8
pink 48
orange 103
magenta 143
green 102
magenta 60
lime 43
green 72
blue 86
purple 113

TOTAL POS 778

TOTAL TAT TRIP

(disclaimer, I’m old, my eyes don’t work 100% any more, if I missed a mile or 2 we I’ll drive them all any way, just wanted to get a solid idea of how much my fuel bill would cost because I am on a fixed income)

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks for breaking it down! Especially by state. Them's a lotta miles we'll be drivin'.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Thanks for breaking it down! Especially by state. Them's a lotta miles we'll be drivin'.
And you have quite a few extra miles to drive to get to the start, I have around 950 extra miles to get to Ripley, so we are going to be putting on the miles this summer for sure.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
So I'm learning stuff. I've learned my gen-7 iPad is a "Wi-Fi only" iPad. Some iPads are just Wi-Fi; others have Wi-Fi and cellular ability (which cellular ability essentially means your iPad can accept GPS signals). Which means pretty much once I'm out of the house with mine, I can't use GAIA on it (it won't pick up a signal).

That is... unless I get an external GPS antenna with bluetooth. Then all is well. So I'm looking at a couple now. Figure around $100 +/- for a unit. Links for possibilities:

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver (gpscity.com) (which I'm leaning towards)

Dual XGPS160 SkyPro GPS Receiver (gpscity.com)

Garmin GLO 2 (gpscity.com)

So if you're like me and wanting to take your iPad on the TAT to follow Sam's maps (iPad has a much larger screen than your phone does), check to see if your iPad is cellular capable. If it isn't, you'll need an external GPS antenna. And actually, with the separate bluetooth GPS antenna, my iPad will probably pull in signals better than the same iPad with the cellular ability.
for some reason, I haven’t been getting notices for this thread, so I just saw this.

my iPad is only WiFi, but if I load the map or route and hook up to my BadElf GPS it works great

Last edited:
Reactions: N8FLY

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Just keeping it real from someone who has been out there. Out of all the things mentioned on this topic the most dreaded is the 2am knock from the po po to move along.
haven’t had that happen to me since the Bobby told me and my friends we couldn’t sleep in the Queens Park, 1977?

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

T. Stanley: That's Awesome! A lot of work, and it's appreciated.

I've been using this AAA website to track prices: AAA Gas Prices They have a Nat'l map, and as a plus, it appears the TAT mainly passes through lower cost states.

The oil folks claim the current higher/rising prices are due to weather forced refinery closures. Not sure if that's accurate. But, if so, maybe there's a chance it will settle in (or, dare I say, drop?) before the trip.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
So I'm learning stuff. I've learned my gen-7 iPad is a "Wi-Fi only" iPad. Some iPads are just Wi-Fi; others have Wi-Fi and cellular ability (which cellular ability essentially means your iPad can accept GPS signals). Which means pretty much once I'm out of the house with mine, I can't use GAIA on it (it won't pick up a signal).

That is... unless I get an external GPS antenna with bluetooth. Then all is well. So I'm looking at a couple now. Figure around $100 +/- for a unit. Links for possibilities:

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver (gpscity.com) (which I'm leaning towards)

Dual XGPS160 SkyPro GPS Receiver (gpscity.com)

Garmin GLO 2 (gpscity.com)

So if you're like me and wanting to take your iPad on the TAT to follow Sam's maps (iPad has a much larger screen than your phone does), check to see if your iPad is cellular capable. If it isn't, you'll need an external GPS antenna. And actually, with the separate bluetooth GPS antenna, my iPad will probably pull in signals better than the same iPad with the cellular ability.
for reason, I haven’t been getting notices for this thread, so I just saw this.

my iPad is only WiFi, but if I load the map or route and hook up to my BadElf GPS it works great
There have been some issues in the last several days with email notifications.

Push notifications from the mobile app are more reliable. There is a newer version of the app due out this week.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

For Overland bound app issue , you need to delete the app and reinstall, I’ve been doing that for couple of time already !

Another way Of calculating miles , I simply click on any part of the route and a pop up label comes out indicating the route name and area , see pic so Va3 ...Va4 ... va 05 , so on next to that there a “i” for the route info when click that it will display the total miles for that specific route.
See pic attached

Attachments

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

For Overland bound app issue , you need to delete the app and receive, I’ve been doing that for couple of time already !

Another way Of calculating miles , I simply click on any part of the route and a pop up label comes out indicating the route name and area , see pic so Va3 ...Va4 ... va 05 , so on next to that there a “i” for the route info when click that it will display the total miles for that specific route.
See pic attached
Thank you, that is much easier than counting mile markers