Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
We're all having a great time on this adventure! Yesterday was a rest day and I had Wi-Fi.

Reminder that I've been posting short videos on YouTube (Zombie Overland) and on Instagram (zoverland)

If you want to be notified of new videos, please subscribe and click the notification bell.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Yesterday was a half day. We got to Blowing Rock NC about 1100, and checked in at the Julian Price campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway around noon. Very nice campground . I did laundry in Boone NC, went to the grocery store, and since the campground had showers, I took a shower. Driver's meeting is at 0800 this morning, then back on the TAT! Got a full tank of gas and ready to go. Sunny and nice this morning.

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Today was our firsts backtrack. After driving out a long way on the south toe river road, we ran into a road closed condition. Had to backtrack all the way to the BRP. Not too bad, it all part of the adventure, but it threw us off our timeline and we wound up spending the night in an Ingles parking lot in Mars Hill, NC. Not a bad “dispersed” camping site.
I am including a marked up section of the TAT showing the closure and our reroute. There is a waypoint indicating the position of the road closure and the backtracked route is high listed. The path we took down the BRP is in red.

Attachments

Today was our firsts backtrack. After driving out a long way on the south toe river road, we ran into a road closed condition. Had to backtrack all the way to the BRP. Not too bad, it all part of the adventure, but it threw us off our timeline and we wound up spending the night in an Ingles parking lot in Mars Hill, NC. Not a bad “dispersed” camping site.
I am including a marked up section of the TAT showing the closure and our reroute. There is a waypoint indicating the position of the road closure and the backtracked route is high listed. The path we took down the BRP is in red.
I've seen this gate in other TAT videos but the location was never included, so thank you for this helpful trail report!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Levine98

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Yeah we encountered that yesterday. In Balsam Mountain campsite tonight (Sunday). Tomorrow my partner has to bail north re: having overheating problems and he wants to slow roll 2 lane to CO where he can store his vehicle with his family.

So I’m looking to attach to another team—is anyone near this location and or close? 35.56504, -83.17436 I’d be happy to either layover or highway it westerly to connect as I prefer not to go it solo

Yeah we encountered that yesterday. In Balsam Mountain campsite tonight (Sunday). Tomorrow my partner has to bail north re: having overheating problems and he wants to slow roll 2 lane to CO where he can store his vehicle with his family.

So I’m looking to attach to another team—is anyone near this location and or close? 35.56504, -83.17436 I’d be happy to either layover or highway it westerly to connect as I prefer not to go it solo
@Levine98 You are currently 105 miles from the main group in this thread if you take the most direct routing and highway. Thats just 3 hours according to Google. You could probably intercept them tomorrow if you get a jump start to your day. Use this Garmin inReach link to track the group location: Garmin Explore™

Levine98

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Levine
Member #

@Levine98 You are currently 105 miles from the main group in this thread if you take the most direct routing and highway. Thats just 3 hours according to Google. You could probably intercept them tomorrow if you get a jump start to your day. Use this Garmin inReach link to track the group location: Garmin Explore™
Thanks. They are too far ahead of me at this point. I’ve connected with another chap who is closer and his schedule works well for me. Cheers

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
It has been wild. Water crossings, steep rocky ascents, and never for sure till you're there where we'll be camping for the night. We've camped in an Ingals grocery store parking lot, a Wal-Mart parking lot, national park campgrounds, and an open field along the TAT.

Last night was a heavy thunderstorm. It was still raining in the morning, so we packed everything wet. Detoured off the TAT to a gas station to gas up, put on dry clothes, and get some food.

We haven't been making the miles a day like we had hoped. Hard to rack up the miles on rough gravel roads, and some in the group are on a time limit. And having 8 to 9 vehicles in the group makes things go slower. So after lunch a few of the vehicles decided they were going to split off and be the fast group. So that left three vehicles the "less fast" group including me. My TJ definitely is not fast.

So we actually jumped ahead a bit on the TAT after that. After a while, rough gravel roads with trees on both sides gets repetative. Here's where we are tonight.

Since we packed everything wet this morning, we're trying to dry things out this evening.

Attachments

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sweet. I got covid the beginning of June and there went all my time off. Was hoping to join you in southern WY but it's not going to happen now.

• Sad

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It has been wild. Water crossings, steep rocky ascents, and never for sure tillyoure there where we'll be camping for the night. We've camped in an Ingals grocery store parking lot, a Wal-Mart parking lot, national park campgrounds, and an open field along the TAT.

Last night was a heavy thunderstorm. It was still raining in the morning, so we packed everything wet. Detoured off the TAT to a gas station to gas up, put on dry clothes, and get some food.

We haven't been making the miles a day like we had hoped. Hard to rack up the miles on rough gravel roads, and some in the group ate on a time limit. And having 8 to 9 vehicles in the group makes things go slower. So after lunch a few of the vehicles decided they were going to split off and be the fast group. So that left three vehicles the "less fast" group. My TJ definitely is My fast.

So we actually jumped ahead a bit on the TAT after that. After a while, rough gravel roads with trees on both sides gets repetative. Here's where we are tonight.

Since we packed everything wet this morning, we're trying to dry things out this evening.
It looks like the other group turned back to Lafayette, GA. Do you have plans to regroup?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sweet. I got covid the beginning of June and there went all my time off. Was hoping to join you in southern WY but it's not going to happen now.
Aww, bummer. I had it in November so I can relate.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It looks like the other group turned back to Lafayette, GA. Do you have plans to regroup?
If nothing else, I hope you can regroup near Trinidad, CO if not before. It'll become more interesting. Plus I'd sure like to meet everyone.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

It has been wild. Water crossings, steep rocky ascents, and never for sure tillyoure there where we'll be camping for the night. We've camped in an Ingals grocery store parking lot, a Wal-Mart parking lot, national park campgrounds, and an open field along the TAT.

We haven't been making the miles a day like we had hoped. Hard to rack up the miles on rough gravel roads, and some in the group ate on a time limit. And having 8 to 9 vehicles in the group makes things go slower. So after lunch a few of the vehicles decided they were going to split off and be the fast group. So that left three vehicles the "less fast" group. My TJ definitely is My fast.

That looks like a great place to be. Enjoy the slow group, you will see more and more relaxing for sure.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

No.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
If nothing else, I hope you can regroup near Trinidad, CO if not before. It'll become more interesting. Plus I'd sure like to meet everyone.
Not sure if the fast group is going to stay together once they get to CO. Some may want to continue west instead of North through CO.