Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Well I am happy to say, my truck is finally ready for the TAT. And I have decided on a destination for a test drive later this week. I initially had planned to go west to Colorado but so many passes are still closed due to winter weather so I have decided I am going to Arkansas and spend a few days wheeling some trails and camping in the Ozark National Forest. Hopefully I will learn if I dont have something I need or I have something and dont use it I can make changes before the TAT and learn how all my gear works together in a real world test. If anyone is interested in doing the same, shoot me a PM and we will go from there

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Well I am happy to say, my truck is finally ready for the TAT. And I have decided on a destination for a test drive later this week. I initially had planned to go west to Colorado but so many passes are still closed due to winter weather so I have decided I am going to Arkansas and spend a few days wheeling some trails and camping in the Ozark National Forest. Hopefully I will learn if I dont have something I need or I have something and dont use it I can make changes before the TAT and learn how all my gear works together in a real world test. If anyone is interested in doing the same, shoot me a PM and we will go from there
Glad you got the suspension issue resolved! I was just about to ask.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
We will be passing through that area westbound on the TAT probably on Friday. We will keep an eye out for you.

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

Welcome aboard!

You'll be fine. Your Jeep sounds more than adequate. Your BaoFeng radio will pick up the GMRS frequencies, so no need to buy a separate handheld GMRS radio. I'll be using a BaoFeng UV-5R as my handheld, and a BaoFeng BF-F8HP handheld mounted to my dash as my fixed radio (with an external antenna).
Okay, thanks. Good advice!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

We will be passing through that area westbound on the TAT probably on Friday. We will keep an eye out for you.
it will most likely be late in the day friday when i will be there as i had to delay my departure until after lunch on friday, one of the office guys at the shop took the week off due to another addition to his family.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Today is 12 April... two months from 12 June - our departure date! Time will fly by - it'll be here soon.

I've got a 2WD low range kit ordered for my TJ. Hopefully it will be here Thursday 15 April.

Link: Teraflex 2204000 2WD Low Range Kit for NP231-J Transfercase | Quadratec

I've got 2WD low in my Willys, and it sure does come in handy. I'm thinking it'll come in handy in Colorado with those switchbacks. We'll see.

Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Definitely. I love 2-LO.
Especially when you've got a locker in the front axle (lock-right in the front of the Willys, and an Aussie locker in the front of the TJ).
Yes, I had full detroit lockers in my CJ and the twin stick made it much easier to live with.

Now in my old man stocker configuration I just have a front axle disconnect switch that really helps this full size get around the switchbacks.

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
I wish I had seen that post about the fees dropping, I would have waited until the fee changed before applying for my gmrs license. I can use the $35 more than Uncle Sam can
I kept waiting for it to drop. Finally, at the end of March I bit the bullet and ponied up the 70 bucks. Don’t know when they are going to actually drop the price, unless they did it the day after I bought mine. ;-)

maxst2

Rank I

Member I

Ohio
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
U
Member #

Scrolling through the site and found this - biggest take away was the GMRS radio information. Went and got a lic since I don't have one and will need one here soon... sadly they are still $70.

New bucket list is to do the TAT

Reactions: armyRN and Mrprez

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I got my vaccine - as a registered nurse, I recommend everyone get the vaccine (no - lets not get into a pro/con discussion of the Covid vaccine). But of course it is not a requirement for joining our trip.

I don't plan on being the mask policeman on this trip. I would just ask everyone to use common sense, be courteous, and to have masks with you for when we're stopped at places that require them. I will have mine. I will wear mine when in establishments that require them. But I don't plan on wearing mine when we're on the trail.

Lets have fun and be safe on this trip, and hopefully nobody gets hurt.

Now's also a good time to remind folks to have their contact information in an envelope in their glove compartment with your name on it (see post #5). Unfortunately, things happen sometimes when on an adventure (accidents happen), and this information is needed (and you might not be in a condition to freely give it). If you've got a passenger with you, you should still have envelope(s) in the glovebox for each person. In the envelope, it should include:

1. Your first & last name
2. Your date of birth
3. Your home address
4. Emergency contact name (i.e. spouse) & phone number
5. Primary care (i.e. your doctor) name and contact information/phone number
6. Copy of your medical insurance card
7. Past medical & surgical history (a simple list and years and type of any surgery, and any medical conditions you may currently have)
8. Current medications and doses you take
9. Allergies to medications, foods, insects, etc.
10. Copy of your living will (if you have one, which you should)
11. Copy of your driver's license

There will be a couple of us health care professionals on the trip. If you've got a condition that I/we should know about (or something that could be serious) let me know. If you carry an epi pen, we need to know where it is kept (ideally either on you, or in your glove compartment). If you have an type of "rescue" medications, again we need to know where they are kept (either on you, or in your glove compartment). Having such items buried in the bottom of a bag inside another bag under containers somewhere in the back of your vehicle is not a good idea. If you're a diabetic, where's your glucometer (and strips)? Show me how yours works.

I didn't put an emergency first-aid kit on the list of required items, but ideally everyone has some sort of first-aid kit in their vehicles readily accessible. Plenty of places sell them (from mild to wild) or you can put your own together.

And if you're like me - someone who sometimes suffers badly from seasonal allergies - I'd recommend stocking up on your allergy medications (pills, nose sprays, etc.). Different parts of the country have their own special flavors of allergens that your body might not be familiar with, which may cause your immune system to go into overdrive.

Last edited:

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

I got my vaccine - as a registered nurse, I recommend everyone get the vaccine (no - lets not get into a pro/con discussion of the Covid vaccine). But of course it is not a requirement for joining our trip.

I don't plan on being the mask policeman on this trip. I would just ask everyone to use common sense, be courteous, and to have masks with you for when we're stopped at places that require them. I will have mine. I will wear mine when in establishments that require them. But I don't plan on wearing mine when we're on the trail.

Lets have fun and be safe on this trip, and hopefully nobody gets hurt.

Now's also a good time to remind folks to have their contact information in an envelope in their glove compartment with your name on it (see post #5). Unfortunately, things happen sometimes when on an adventure (accidents happen), and this information is needed (and you might not be in a condition to freely give it). If you've got a passenger with you, you should still have envelope(s) in the glovebox for each person. In the envelope, it should include:

1. Your first & last name
2. Your date of birth
3. Your home address
4. Emergency contact name (i.e. spouse) & phone number
5. Primary care (i.e. your doctor) name and contact information/phone number
6. Copy of your medical insurance card
7. Past medical & surgical history (a simple list and years and type of any surgery, and any medical conditions you may currently have)
8. Current medications and doses you take
9. Allergies to medications, foods, insects, etc.
10. Copy of your living will (if you have one, which you should)
11. Copy of your driver's license

There will be a couple of us health care professionals on the trip. If you've got a condition that I/we should know about (or something that could be serious) let me know. If you carry an epi pen, we need to know where it is kept (ideally either on you, or in your glove compartment). If you have an type of "rescue" medications, again we need to know where they are kept (either on you, or in your glove compartment). Having such items buried in the bottom of a bag inside another bag under containers somewhere in the back of your vehicle is not a good idea. If you're a diabetic, where's your glucometer (and strips)? Show me how yours works.

I didn't put an emergency first-aid kit on the list of required items, but ideally everyone has some sort of first-aid kit in their vehicles readily accessible. Plenty of places sell them (from mild to wild) or you can put your own together.

And if you're like me - someone who sometimes suffers badly from seasonal allergies - I'd recommend stocking up on your allergy medications (pills, nose sprays, etc.). Different parts of the country have their own special flavors of allergens that your body might not be familiar with, which may cause your immune system to go into overdrive.
Just a gentle reminder. Not sure how long we will be in a higher than use to altitudes, but you can purchase O2(Supplemental, Boost) in a can if needed I know out in Colorado it is readily available, not sure about availabilities in other states. I live in a flat state, and no longer accustomed to higher elevation, so I know once up in higher elevation shortness of breath will be a thing, especially for walking around maybe even sleeping. So the O2 will help. I've had that altitude sickness stuff(mild case) and that was a no joke.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Scrolling through the site and found this - biggest take away was the GMRS radio information. Went and got a lic since I don't have one and will need one here soon... sadly they are still $70.

New bucket list is to do the TAT
I checked last night and some sources indicate the price change will become effective 4/19.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Since you're not taking an airplane or an interstate, I'm cautiously optimistic that the slow progression towards the Divide will help folks acclimate.

It also helps that Tin Cup is only 12K and not 13 and 14K like Imogene and Pikes Peak, for example.

Hydration seems to play a part so plan accordingly especially in the Rockies.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Since you're not taking an airplane or an interstate, I'm cautiously optimistic that the slow progression towards the Divide will help folks acclimate.

It also helps that Tin Cup is only 12K and not 13 and 14K like Imogene and Pikes Peak, for example.

Hydration seems to play a part so plan accordingly especially in the Rockies.
Neal is correct, start drinking a lot more water before you get to CO. A couple of days ahead of time.