Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ludwig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4LCG
I thought this would be a fun topic, especially since I have a great photo to share. I used to live in Angola (loved it actually). We had two driving rules that we never violated:
  1. Never drive outside the city after dark.
  2. Never drive through standing water without first checking it.
  3. Never walk or drive in the grass (in former conflict zones).
The first rule had many reasons. There were many hazards on the roads that you just couldn't see well at night: large animals, pedestrians, bandits, holes, etc... Second, the locals followed this rule too so if you got into trouble out there at night, you couldn't expect a passerby until the next morning, so best to follow rule #1.

The second rule may not be entirely obvious to westerners, especially in the city, but water hides many hazards, some larger than you might expect. The most common hazard in the city was missing manhole covers. There were always more manholes than manhole covers and dropping a wheel in one of those at speed was a great way to bust an axle. The other great example of why we always followed this rule even in the city is best explained with this photo:

Acidentedehoje002.jpg

That is not half a truck, that is a whole truck. Sometimes those water holes are deeper than you might think. Never drive through water (unless you first walk it).

The third rule was probably actually rule #1 in Angola. Angola didn't have predators, but it did have poisonous snakes and a 25 year civil war. Land mines were used heavily to around cities, industrial bases, etc... You could safely walk or drive where hundreds have gone before you, but you never pulled off the side of the road or stepped off the beaten path for fear of finding a mine. You also didn't walk in the grass even in what should be a safe area for fear of finding a snake. I used to go to braais with the road workers. They were always hitting mines when the blade of the grader wandered a bit into the grass at the side of the road. So rule #3 is about staying on established paths and trails only when in former conflict zones.

So please join in with your rules for safe overlanding and give stories to bring the lesson home if you have them.

-Chris.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Always stop on dirt roads and make sure the group of bikes are OK. Many of us have extra seats and room in the bed for a bike.

Always feed the bikers in camp. They pack hardly any food. It's huge instant Karma. Hotdogs and beer cost nothing.

Less weight is better. Make sure you need all of that junk on your truck. Sometimes heavy convenience items should be left behind. Stoves for example, where you know there will be a fire at camp, or just need to boil water. Use a pepsi can stove instead.

Thick walled MT tires are priceless.

Tire chains and/or Tire Claws are more priceless.

Don't fear the gear.

Shovel first, winch second.

Don't ride my rear bumper then complain about every rock that my STT's fling at your truck. We spread out and use radios for a reason on dirt roads.

Bikini's are perfect hot weather Overlanding attire. Lose the khakis.

Dog's are wonderful, as long as you don't let them pee on tents.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
My ten rules.

1. Someone not on my trip always knows where I'm going, what my itinerary is, and what kinds of deviations I might make.
2. I need more water than I think I do.
3. I need less gear than I think I do. I leave behind the unnecessary gear (Hi-Lift, winch, steel bumpers, etc.*) and save the weight and volume for water or for a lighter load.
4. Less weight means less stuck, less breakage, and further, safer distance.
5. Know how to read and use a USGS topo map. I become familiar with and then carry a high-resolution USGS topo map for my area.
6. I plan for multiple exit routes. How do I get to the nearest safe location from where I am? Check my map frequently.
7. *This is overlanding, not rock crawling; I don't need the body armor.
8. If I'm still going into instead of out-of, my vehicle should be less capable than my skills warrant.
9. If I need all of my vehicle's capabilities to continue forward, it should be because it's safer than going back. That is, if I'm using all of my vehicle's capabilities, it should be because I have no other options.
10. Carry and know how to use: fire extinguisher, emergency response kit, emergency locator beacon (if warranted), and emergency communications tools.

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
impact lightly on the places I travel. leave it better than i found it. pack it in, pack it out. act as a steward of nature - enjoy it and explore it but always appreciate it.

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
impact lightly on the places I travel. leave it better than i found it. pack it in, pack it out. act as a steward of nature - enjoy it and explore it but always appreciate it.
Thanks! I was writing up something similar, but you said it perfectly.

Reactions: Ashton

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

My biggest rule, and it can be applied to many situations is dont be a (bleep) head.

Respect others, respect land, respect yourself. It all goes hand in hand.