AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
No... they are pretty much promoted to folks that don't want to take the time to get a license. Oh and yes they are re-colored cheap Boafeng radios.

NateWW35

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Denver, Colorado, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
W
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0TXQ
Nope, business bands are programmed in. Many of the frequencies (that I've looked up in my areas) are used by hospitals, schools, private security firms, etc. Even if you are way the heck out in the woods, the chances of potentially interrupting/interfering with something important going on is there. While nearly impossible to figure out it was you/your group, it's best to not even think about using said frequencies.

The reason they're called "race radios" (if I understand correctly), is teams lease a frequency for the duration of a race for their comms. During said time, they have exclusive rights to the frequency, but I may be misinterpreting it a bit.

Also, as mentioned, they're the cheap Baofeng/TYT/other Chinese radios in special colors and with their programming for nearly double the price.

BigDogYJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Jamison
Last Name
Donato
These guys have been going to King of the Hammers events the last few years. Early on they were decent. They were selling Yaesu and Standard Horizon vertex radios for a reasonable price. But a few years ago they switched to these baofeng cheap Chinese radios and they charge more than they did for the yaesu‘s. The owner is a little off-putting at times too. If your looking for an alternative, PCI Race radios has treated me well and sells high quality gear.

If I’m not allowed to mention other vendors here let me know. I apologize ahead of time.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Man don't even get me started on these guys. I made a video about it a while back and caught a lot of flak for it from the Rugged Radios "white knights". The only advantage to me is they come prewired for headsets but you can accomplish the same thing with a stand alone aircraft intercom box. They've started pushing sponsorships to the big overland and off road Youtube Channels and spreading even more. When confronted about this stuff the channels double down and try to defend RR.

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
When I was at SEMA 2016.. I spotted some blue baofeng UV-5R's from a distance while walking through the off road section. As I got closer, I realized it was re branded as "rugged radios" and about crapped my pants when I saw the prices they wanted.. I laughed out loud and waited a moment to ask the rep what they were smoking, but he was busy schmoozing some poor fool into buying some. NO WAY should a $20 HT be worth over $100, no matter what programming it has. They really soak people who buy them.

I've been into radio for a long time and i'd never recommend rugged radios to someone. The technician class license is incredibly easy to get. Just do it!

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
So if you pay for a general "technician" license (no test?), can you broadcast on your mobile ham radio? Will ham be able to communicate with others who have CBs?
All ham radio licenses require a test that you must study for. You can broadcast from just about anywhere with a ham radio, especially your vehicle. Frequencies that ham radios use are allocated to specific ranges of the radio spectrum. They generally will not operate within the Citizens Band.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Man don't even get me started on these guys. I made a video about it a while back and caught a lot of flak for it from the Rugged Radios "white knights". The only advantage to me is they come prewired for headsets but you can accomplish the same thing with a stand alone aircraft intercom box. They've started pushing sponsorships to the big overland and off road Youtube Channels and spreading even more. When confronted about this stuff the channels double down and try to defend RR.

Your so absolutely right!!! I bought 4 UV-5R's and program cable for cheaper than I would have bought 1 rugged radio. My buddy has the blue rugged radio and he cant even switch frequencies to be able to communicate with the rest us who have the Baofeng's. DEF rugged is over priced for the same exact radio!!

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
I bit the bullet and bought one so I could chat with some of my off road racing friends when we were in the deep desert. Range was good, but I'm way happier that I'm now using a HAM.

Reactions: LostInThought

Commander Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Mandas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6JXZ

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
UPDATE: December 2020
FCC going after Rugged Radios
Couldn't have happened to a better company. But knowing how the FCC's reactions have been to past violators, I'm not holding my breath on anything actually significant happening. If past actions by the FCC are any gauge they probably have a solid decade and another half dozen action letters before anything happens.

Remember when everyone was celebrating that they were finally going to crack down on non complaint import radios, specifically BAOFENGs, that was what a year ago? Two of my buddies have bought baofengs recently, each buying a handheld and a mobile. All 4 radios were wide open.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
They get used for events under a business license. So the event promoter can just hand the radios out and not have to program anything. But people to buy them and use them with impunity without that license for recreation. So they have a legal purpose, but also are sold with the knowledge that they'll be used outside that purpose.

-M