Ruger Trailer...How high is too high to mount tent

• HTML tutorial

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
Hey all, Im wondering how high is too high to mount a tent on a trailer...Im trying to build a mount for both my awning and my tent but Im a big fan of KISS (not the band) so if I can do both in one structure I think that would be cool. Im thinking 28-30 inches above the top of the trailer, trying to think of any disadvantages at all.

Also wondering if anyone is doing a retractable system for their tent on the trailer. Something that say goes from 18 inches (driving) to 30 inches (camping). I think this is an easy thing to do, just trying to figure out the up and down part.

Hey all, Im wondering how high is too high to mount a tent on a trailer...Im trying to build a mount for both my awning and my tent but Im a big fan of KISS (not the band) so if I can do both in one structure I think that would be cool. Im thinking 28-30 inches above the top of the trailer, trying to think of any disadvantages at all.

Also wondering if anyone is doing a retractable system for their tent on the trailer. Something that say goes from 18 inches (driving) to 30 inches (camping). I think this is an easy thing to do, just trying to figure out the up and down part.
If you have the awning mounted at the same height I recommend 5ft 7in to 5ft 10in, if you are taller you can angle the awning legs to make it higher you definitely don’t want it taller than just above head height because it’s awkward and can hurt if you do it everyday for 4 months, I know from driving around Europe in a defender

For the raising feature try box section, steel or aluminium, two different sizes so they fit in each other, drill holes so you can put pins in at the different heights. To take some of the weight off it, in two opposing corners drill holes so you can fit 500N gas struts this will take a lot of the weight off it (about 100kg or 210lbs) you work out how much you need. I recommend you weld box section leg to leg so it goes down evenly, you could even use a ratchet on one side to crank it down if you have too much lift on the struts.

Reactions: SW_UT_FJ