Launch Member

Advocate I

Gridley, CA, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alcantar
Member #

Has anyone taken a stock 4 runner up any Rubicon trials. Daughter is going to take a trip with a couple of her friends and a couple other rigs June 24th 25th and 26th and I was just wondering if I would be able to make it on some of the trails if anyone has taken a stock 4Runner let me know it'd be great and if not I'm going to try and make it to their first camp site at least experienced off road also

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In the past, Jeep Jamboree ran a bunch of stock jeeps up it every year, everything had a bypass. I've run it probably 6 times but, Its been 15 years since I went up there last and I'm also curious if its changed much.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I believe it was Rick Pewe (Motor Trend) who talked about tire size on the Rubicon - it went something like "before there were 40 in tires, 35s were considered huge and they made it, before there were 35 in tires, 33s were considered huge and they made it, before there were 33 in tires, 29s were considered huge and they made it...". His point was that folks have been driving the Rubicon for many years and previous gens of equipment were not as capable and they made it. There are also no shortage of YouTube videos showing older, less capable, rigs doing the Rubicon. So can your rig make it? Most likely. To me the question would be am I ready to accept the abuse that my vehicle will receive on this trail and do I have the driving chops?

All of that said I have never done the Rubicon. Is travel on the Rubicon one way or two way? Is it acceptable to other trail runners to face oncoming traffic departing or do folks consider it a one way trail?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The issue isn't so much tire size, I have run both the sluice's with 33". The issue is whether or not people have screwed up the bypasses. There's a 4wd club that maintains it. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the damage people do.
This question would actually be better posted in more of a hard core forum.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The issue isn't so much tire size, I have run both the sluice's with 33". The issue is whether or not people have screwed up the bypasses. There's a 4wd club that maintains it. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the damage people do.
This question would actually be better posted in more of a hard core forum.
Yeah, I get that it is not so much tire size - was just reinforcing your comment re: "Jeep Jamboree ran a bunch of stock jeeps up it every year". Good point on bypass destruction.

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Sorry, didn't mean for my post to sound like that,, not enough coffee yet.
I remember when everyone ran 33's because 35's only broke things. I was told I couldn't run the Dusy on 32's but I did. I've also seen people with no driving skill struggle on 40's.

I messaged a few of my friends from up north to ask about trail conditions. I was planning on heading up there this fall. My main concern is Cadillac Hill at the end. Its steep, narrow, rutted and has a drop off on the side. Not something you go up with a bunch of wheel spin.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I messaged a few guys I know and one ran it last year.
Here was his response.

"Some of the toughest spots last time I was on the trail was the sluice dropping into Buck Island, the section right after the dam at Buck Island and the lower part of Big Sluice. Just big dif eating rocks with no bypass".

In a nutshell, rock stacking, skid plate workout and strapping over things. This will be assuming your steering is up to par, otherwise your just bending things.
So, yes its possible.