First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Hey Folks,

Looking for some input while doing my research on a RTT. Let me start with saying this would be going on my 2011 Chevy Tahoe project. I am wondering if I will be running in to a roof load capacity issue if I install an RTT. I am looking at the CVT Mt Denali which is a big tent. It will be for me for now and my son in the next year or so. I could possibly go with a smaller RTT, but I am big and probably will like the extra space if my son will eventually be in there with me. I am 6'5" and 380 lbs and then you add the weight of the tent which is 247 - 260 lbs. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on this or would I be ok? I was planning on maybe installing the Eezi-Awn k9 flat roof rack to install it on or something similar.

Any input would be appreciated.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For Tahoe and Burbs, from my quick search, show an average of about 200lbs max load on the roof. Maybe it depends on what kind of cross bars you get, etc.

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, California, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
I understand that. Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. At stationary will an average roof rack hold the weight of RTT, me and my son along with any other items up there? I ask cause CVT said they install tents on the rhino rack cross bars, tule racks etc...I looked at the rhino cross bars and they say weight capacity of 160 lbs. tent is 240 on average. Maybe they were listing static?

Since originally posting this question I have discovered that the Eezi-Awn k9 pioneer rack or Rhino pioneer rack should be the way to go as it has a stationary weight capacity of 1000 lbs.

Thanks for response

Reactions: RoarinRow

Dahoe

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Alabama
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Doster
Member #

Hey Folks,

Looking for some input while doing my research on a RTT. Let me start with saying this would be going on my 2011 Chevy Tahoe project. I am wondering if I will be running in to a roof load capacity issue if I install an RTT. I am looking at the CVT Mt Denali which is a big tent. It will be for me for now and my son in the next year or so. I could possibly go with a smaller RTT, but I am big and probably will like the extra space if my son will eventually be in there with me. I am 6'5" and 380 lbs and then you add the weight of the tent which is 247 - 260 lbs. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on this or would I be ok? I was planning on maybe installing the Eezi-Awn k9 flat roof rack to install it on or something similar.

Any input would be appreciated.
With me being yeti like (6’7” and 360lbs) I wondered this myself. I looked at similar tents and installed Yakima contour bars on the existing Z71 rack. After considering me falling off the damn ladder at 2am cuz I have to pee, I thought, maybe this isn’t the right thing. My son is 15 and is the same size as myself and both of us wouldn’t be very graceful on a ladder. I’ve since added a Yakima mega warrior basket and moved on to a possible trailer build. This way, we could have the tent lower to the ground with easier access. Now my wife wants me to get a camper... Maybe a pop up camper with upgraded axle and ground clearance will be our answer.

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
With me being yeti like (6’7” and 360lbs) I wondered this myself. I looked at similar tents and installed Yakima contour bars on the existing Z71 rack. After considering me falling off the damn ladder at 2am cuz I have to pee, I thought, maybe this isn’t the right thing. My son is 15 and is the same size as myself and both of us wouldn’t be very graceful on a ladder. I’ve since added a Yakima mega warrior basket and moved on to a possible trailer build. This way, we could have the tent lower to the ground with easier access. Now my wife wants me to get a camper... Maybe a pop up camper with upgraded axle and ground clearance will be our answer.
Ya, Im about the same size as you and have my concerns. As for now until I make a decision on what I ultimately want or is going to work best for me and the family I am going to use a ground tent for now. I want to really be sure what it is that i want before spending that kind of money. Who knows, the ground tent may just work for long term.

Dahoe

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Alabama
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Doster
Member #

Doing the same for now as well. My wife flipped out when she say the price of the rtt’s. Ha! I shoot competition too, but she never complained about that expense. I spent the same amount for a Rtt as i did for an optic!

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Oh Danny Boy, 380 is too much man, Im 240 and Ive caused my roofnest, maggiolina CVT to crack under stress, my alu cab tho will take my fat A&^ pretty easy but 388 on your knees puts so much stress I would trust it man.
Ya that’s what I’m afraid of. Still going to use a ground tent for as long as possible then decide what I’m going to do. I’m going to take a look at the Alu, but the one in the video looks a bit small for me I’m 6’5”

Thanks for the info

Dahoe

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Alabama
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Doster
Member #

I was looking at the CVT tents (large one with double ladder). Those are rated enough to hold my big arse and a few others. Still don't like the idea of climbing up and down to pee at night. We did decide to go with an off road pop up camper for now. Havent taken it out yet, bu these thing has some awesome ground clearance. We will put it through the tests soon. Ill post some pics soon..

TacoNik

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm 285 and spent alot of time in a rtt. They are not made for big dudes. Worst than roof max weight, the ladder is not rated for the weight while climbing up and down. Also, keep the weight off of the overhang side.

Long story short, I sold the rtt and went with a teardrop (squaredrop) setup