RTT vs Awnings with walls

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Docrandy

Rank III
Staff member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
So I know I am going to have an awning on the truck well honestly probably 2 a 270 on the passenger side and something like an ARB 2500x2500 on the driver's side my dilemma is do I want to use a wall and floor kit for the awnings as a tent or do I want a RTT. now I live in Florida so I will probably end up with the wall kits if for nothing else than to use the screens to keep bugs away lol what is everyone using? who uses an awning and walls as a tent? pros and cons to both?

Thanks
Doc

Viking1204

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Member #

Doc I live in NW Florida and not sure an awning used as a tent would work out very well. Not sure how bug or snake proof you could make it, surely not as bug and snake proof as a RTT! In NW Florida the area I hunt and camp in has lots of bugs and snakes and I have a lot of piece of mind being 6.5' off the ground with bug proof windows, the ones that scare me the most are the scorpions as they seem to be everywhere on the ground!

Corbet

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
Member #

I’ve never used my awning as a tent but don’t see that as an ideal situation if it rains. Yes you can slope the awning to drain but that can still puddle some. Also I don’t see the walls taking the wind as well as my RTT.

Wall would probably be great until the weather got bad, or bugs and snakes like mentioned above if the area had them.

You’ll want to factor in some cots probably as well for the awning/wall plan where a RTT already includes your sleep surface.

Charles M

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Charles
Member #

I am using a 270 right now as a very large tent. It is in the teens to 20 degrees outside and maybe 55 degrees inside it. We had a fireplace going inside tonight. Even with the back section closed off right now there us enough room to seat 10 or 12 people. To give you some perspective this is mounted to a Tahoe. Weather wise it can certainly keep you dry inside. With the walls in place it us very dry. Even my home made walls are working this weekend. The only thing missing is a floor but for my use I don't care. And we have much bigger scorpions in Nevada. But scorpions are not deadly anyway. I grew up in south Florida so I know your bugs and an awning will not keep them out but neither does a regular tent. Well unless you get in it before the bugs come out... lol 20191011_154530.jpeg20191011_185323.jpeg20191011_174429.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Docrandy