Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

My wife has been resistant somewhat to Overlanding. Not that she is totally against it, but it is hard for her to see why we would take a Suburban or Subaru camping when we have a 30ft travel trailer with 3 slides. I want to be able to take her out on weekends and explore and have her be comfortable and see that we can go more places and go for less money if we can take the Subaru.
With that I am looking into a RTT. Now this will go on my current 01 Forester or her 2019 Forester and soon the 01 will go away and I will have a 09-12 Forester.
We are getting older and with that we sometimes need to make nature calls in the night. I would like to have a RTT that has an annex that you can get to from the inside of the tent so we can put a porta-potty down there for those mid night nature calls.
I also would like it to be comfortable for 2 people, but need to keep in mind that it will be going on a Subaru, not a 3/4 ton truck. So, a 3 person would be the max.
Winter camping with my wife is not likely going to happen, 4 season is nice but not really needed in my case.
With all this in mind I like the Tepui Explorer Autana Rooftop Tent, it has an annex that you can get to without leaving the tent unlike the Smitty Built and a few others.
Are there any other tents I should look at that would meet those needs? I would like to keep weight close to the 100# mark and cost below $2000.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

My wife has been resistant somewhat to Overlanding. Not that she is totally against it, but it is hard for her to see why we would take a Suburban or Subaru camping when we have a 30ft travel trailer with 3 slides. I want to be able to take her out on weekends and explore and have her be comfortable and see that we can go more places and go for less money if we can take the Subaru.
With that I am looking into a RTT. Now this will go on my current 01 Forester or her 2019 Forester and soon the 01 will go away and I will have a 09-12 Forester.
We are getting older and with that we sometimes need to make nature calls in the night. I would like to have a RTT that has an annex that you can get to from the inside of the tent so we can put a porta-potty down there for those mid night nature calls.
I also would like it to be comfortable for 2 people, but need to keep in mind that it will be going on a Subaru, not a 3/4 ton truck. So, a 3 person would be the max.
Winter camping with my wife is not likely going to happen, 4 season is nice but not really needed in my case.
With all this in mind I like the Tepui Explorer Autana Rooftop Tent, it has an annex that you can get to without leaving the tent unlike the Smitty Built and a few others.
Are there any other tents I should look at that would meet those needs? I would like to keep weight close to the 100# mark and cost below $2000.
I have a Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Rainier hybrid model and it is big and spacious for 2 people. Very light. Very warm. And has a large private annex attachment for it that would perfectly fit your need. It would be around $2700 I believe so above your budget. You get what you pay for though it is fantastic quality. Check them out they make good stuff.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have a Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Rainier hybrid model and it is big and spacious for 2 people. Very light. Very warm. And has a large private annex attachment for it that would perfectly fit your need. It would be around $2700 I believe so above your budget. You get what you pay for though it is fantastic quality. Check them out they make good stuff.
While that looks like a nice tent, you have to exit the tent at the top and then reenter at the bottom to get into the annex. I want to be able to go down the ladder right into the annex. This way when we are dressed for bed, we aren't going outside in out "Sleepwear" and then trying to reenter the tent. We can just drop down, take care of things and go back up.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

While that looks like a nice tent, you have to exit the tent at the top and then reenter at the bottom to get into the annex. I want to be able to go down the ladder right into the annex. This way when we are dressed for bed, we aren't going outside in out "Sleepwear" and then trying to reenter the tent. We can just drop down, take care of things and go back up.
There are two options. You can get the one where you enter and exit the tent inside it. This is the one I have. Exactly the reason I got it so we wouldn't be exposed to the elements (or other campers) when we climbed down!

1574802127806.png