Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Good day everyone! Wanting to see what fine folks are doing about running 12v power up to their RTT for usb lights, fans, etc.? Currently, I have a "solar generator" in the bed of the truck to manage the fridge; am curious if I could power a USB bank up to the tent from this unit as well. (Or, is the USB on generator not strong enough). Wanting to avoid getting another battery option for up in the tent if I can.

Reactions: Road

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I have 12v string lights from DFG off-road in my habitat camper. They put out great light but, despite being LED, draw quite a bit of charge from my house battery. I use them when setting up or for something quick, but I just use a small rechargeable light for anything more than 20 minutes or so. Otherwise it unnecessarily drains the house battery which I prefer for my fridge. Good luckj

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thank you for this thread, I just got some string lights from Amazon and was thinking about how to power them. I haven’t tried the yet (delivered today) assumed I could use the power bank but maybe I was wrong. Might order a goal zero or jackery sooner than I planned... or just go back to the rechargeable LED lanterns

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I know at Sam's Club they now sell a lot of 20ah power banks for keeping cell phones charged and they aren't very expensive. I have one that I use to keep the LED lights on in my RTT and have no problem with it lasting 2-3 nights. The lights in the tent are never left on too long so not sure exactly how long they would last. Again this is a LED light strip so I doubt it takes much juice to run.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Good day everyone! Wanting to see what fine folks are doing about running 12v power up to their RTT for usb lights, fans, etc.? Currently, I have a "solar generator" in the bed of the truck to manage the fridge; am curious if I could power a USB bank up to the tent from this unit as well. (Or, is the USB on generator not strong enough). Wanting to avoid getting another battery option for up in the tent if I can.

I've thought about wiring a permanent USB port in my hard shell RTT. I want to run 12v up there anyway to power a Fan-tastic Endless Breeze Fan, so will add a flush-mount dual USB port with cap.

I'll run my wire up and through a cable gland screwed through the lower shell; hook up a couple SAE connectors. One on the outside, two on the inside, and mount the USB port near a corner and a run around to the diagonally opposite corner for fan or whatever else.

I'll use connectors so I can disconnect it on the outside when underway, and inside so I can disconnect either or both of the two runs and be able to use them for other 12v accessories should the need arise.

I may experiment, too, with portable power banks for the fan, which is low amp draw at 1.2 - 2.6. I have several of different power levels I use to run the lights on my bike and keep in my day packs for charging mobile devices, etc. They're getting more powerful and smaller.

For lighting up there I use one of the pods from my solar Ready Lights (on the tray in image below), so don't need to run lights. It's all I use in the van for lighting, too.

Pro Tip: Get an inexpensive TV tray to use in your RTTs. Keeps pocket items from rolling around and getting lost in bedding, provides a stable surface for drinks, and is a great little lap desk, as well. I always know where my Streamlights are in the middle of the night, too.

roofnest-tvtray_2391-900.jpg

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

I've thought about wiring a permanent USB port in my hard shell RTT. I want to run 12v up there anyway to power a Fan-tastic Endless Breeze Fan, so will add a flush-mount dual USB port with cap.

I'll run my wire up and through a cable gland screwed through the lower shell; hook up a couple SAE connectors. One on the outside, two on the inside, and mount the USB port near a corner and a run around to the diagonally opposite corner for fan or whatever else.

I'll use connectors so I can disconnect it on the outside when underway, and inside so I can disconnect either or both of the two runs and be able to use them for other 12v accessories should the need arise.

I may experiment, too, with portable power banks for the fan, which is low amp draw at 1.2 - 2.6. I have several of different power levels I use to run the lights on my bike and keep in my day packs for charging mobile devices, etc. They're getting more powerful and smaller.

For lighting up there I use one of the pods from my solar Ready Lights (on the tray in image below), so don't need to run lights. It's all I use in the van for lighting, too.

Pro Tip: Get an inexpensive TV tray to use in your RTTs. Keeps pocket items from rolling around and getting lost in bedding, provides a stable surface for drinks, and is a great little lap desk, as well. I always know where my Streamlights are in the middle of the night, too.

View attachment 192521
Thanks, I'm definitely going to use that TV Tray idea!

Reactions: Road

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have a usb panel in the back of my Cruiser tied to the house battery. Using usb extension cable I can route power from the usb panel through the hatch and into the RTT. Works well to power any usb device I have come across.

Reactions: Viking1204