RTT packing suggestions

• HTML tutorial

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

The wife and I just got a CVT Mt. Shasta RTT and have been playing with packing it up. Anyone have any suggestions for packing up bedding inside? I threw our 2 sleeping bags inside, 0 deg Teton's laid out flat of course, and it seems to add some significant thickness to the overall package. I feel like I should be able to compress it more before putting on the cover. What do you guys use for bedding and are there any "tricks" to getting it packed down tighter? Thanks!

Can't wait to get it in the dirt this weekend!

Attachments

Reactions: Levidale and Glenn

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

sub'd

We just got a Mt Shasta and haven't really taken it out yet. We're planning on using sheets from Tepui and down sleeping bags when it's really cold along with a couple pillows. I figured we'd have to remove the pillows, but didn't think we'd have to remove the sheets and sleeping bag.

Can you just wrench on it to flatten it down?

Reactions: Cayenne

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

We keep the basic bedding in RTT. This includes a fairly thin featherbed, comforter, sheet and two pillows, all of which is fairly compressible. But since we are spoiled, we also pack an additional comforter, sheet and two more pillows in our vehicle that would not pack easily.

Last edited:

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
So far we got 3 pillows, comforter and fleece. I need another pillow and looks like it will work. You will need to even it out and make sure you got room at the end where the tent tucks in.

I also used a compression bag and then just put it on top between the vinyl cover and the folded tent. I also stow a placemat on that area. Works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erok81

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I leave two sleeping bags and two pillows in mine. The super cheap Velcro straps never worked well so I flipped them (loops on the bottom half) and use a ratchet strap to hold it tight. Even just putting my body weight to close it I can get the open side smaller than the hinge side (if that makes sense). So leave gear inside shouldn't be an issue. Unless you try to leave your sleeping bags rolled up or something. :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

We leave a fleece sheet and a cotton sheet tucked around mattress and then the sleeping bags we leave open, but pre fold them in half on the front of tent so that when I close it they don't go flying creating bulk. Closes easy and flat that way.
Just like @vegasjeepguy , we like being spoiled with big pillows, they ride inside the rig with us.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I think it is all positioning, try to keep everything flat and uniform and it shouldn't be a issue. The most i keep in mine is 3 bags and two long pillows. That seems to be the perfect fit for mine , but all rtt are a lil different I suppose

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Note that the vinyl cover loosens up once broken in which gives you more allowance to not having the tent tightly closed. Besides you dont want to stress out the joints too much tying to ratchet it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! We played with it some more and seem to have figured out a couple tricks, mainly I jumped up on top of it to compress it down and latch the sides. That seemed to help a lot and was much easier to work with. I really like the idea of throwing a couple things on top between the tent and cover, I little cheapo welcome mat would be nice to stand on. Thanks again! We had it out first time this weekend and it worked out pretty cool, kids slept in the bottom and wife and I had the top... Well until the 2 year old came up. LOL.

And just because I like pictures....

Reactions: Tim and Jeepney

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I had a Shasta a few years ago and there was no way for me to keep anything in there and still be able to close it enough to get the cover to fit. I have a Rainier now (for about 2 years), and it looks like they made the hinges a bit bigger, along with the cover, so I think I could probably leave some stuff up there but haven't actually tried.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I personally think the overhang adds a lot of bulk to the package too. One guy we roll with has the same size tent as mine, but without the overhang. He get's 4 sleeping bags in it without any issue. Of course all of this is dependent on the type of sleeping bag your using too.

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I personally think the overhang adds a lot of bulk to the package too. One guy we roll with has the same size tent as mine, but without the overhang. He get's 4 sleeping bags in it without any issue. Of course all of this is dependent on the type of sleeping bag your using too.
Oh yeah, that's a lot of extra material for that extra little bit!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

You stow it with annex attached?
I think he's talking about the covered entry. Here are two versions of the same tent model from CVT. The first does not have the covered entry, the second does. The size of the bed and internals are the same, on the second you have an additional support bar the comes out, and additional material. It hangs over about 2' further than the first one.

There is no way I could fit the annex in with the tent.

Reactions: Glenn

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
oh yeah, the annex is really bulky. We decided we're only bringing it for winter camping.

Also true on the overhang, it adds more crap to tuck in but after few uses you'll figure it out. The only thing i hate now is trying to handle the zipper without getting snagged while i'm working it on the middle section which my short arms can't easily reach.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We don't stash the annex inside, its in a separate bag that goes with us if were going to use it or not. Trips with just me and the kids it'll stay at home, when the whole family goes we need it for space.

What cracks me up, is when we received it everything was inside, annex, parts, rain fly, tools, ladders, etc. They must have used a backhoe to compress all that stuff in there and buckle it down!

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Yeah I didn't think you could get it all in. We only use the annex when its cold, inclement weather or if we are on an extended stay in one spot.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I have an Tepui Autana Ruggedized and I keep 3 Kifaru sleeping bags inside, 2 20* bags and a 0* bag. I also keep a Hill people gear Serape, I have used the serape as a bag down to 30* just fine. If its colder than that I know can crawl into the 20*, my daughter is a polar bear like me so she is fine in a 20*, the girlfriend is NOT even at 60* she will be in a 0* bag. I also keep the pillow up in mine, they are the exped pilows. Down filled with air bladders, comfy for camp pillows, when deflated they take up no room at all, there are 3 of them up there as well. In the Raingler ceiling net I keep another Serape, and 2 Kifaru Woobies. I know we are good for just about anything they would ever want to go out in regardless of how bad it gets.

As for the bags, I found that if I fold them in half where the mattress fold, and since they are mummy bags, if I keep the fold about 25* down the center, the feet and hood just barley nestle together creating a smaller package. Then I fold the serape just neat the middle. The frame and floor allow it to compress easier. The Autana is similar to the Mt Shasta in size and construction.

I have the annex and the floor if needed and on long trips take it, but personally I hate them. Ill take just the tent any day of the week.

Reactions: Glenn