RTT or pop-up camper Question

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have been an avid tent camper for years, but some new needs have arisen and I'm looking for some input.

Problems to solve:

1. Speed of set-up/ease of finding camp spots. On a recent trip in my wife's Renegade we tried taking a nap at a rest stop. It was miserable. For near-highway stops, is it easier to deploy a RTT, a pop-up, or about the same? Which sets up easier/faster and which is more inconspicuous?

2. Warmth. I've gotten my wife to tent camp down to 18 degrees (f) but it wasn't pleasant. Now we have a 1 year old and won't go below 32 degrees. Many pop-ups have heaters; do these get reasonably warm? Is there a strategy to keep an RTT warmish (like, 40+ degrees)? I won't do the buddy heater thing--not sold on running propane in a tent.

Other concerns: Rigs to use this equipment are a Wrangler and a Renegade, so tow capacity is maxed out at 2,000lbs. Needs to be moderately off-road capable. Budget; I don't want to drop $10k+ on a small trailer if a $3k-ish RTT set-up can solve my problems well.

Thanks for any input!

Reactions: Ubiety and srotier

srotier

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, Maryland, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Rotier
I can’t help with the RTT vs Pop-up debate, but I have been researching cold weather camping and hearing solutions. My wife is not a fan of Mr. Heater Buddy in a tent with 2 small kids. The Chinese diesel heater thing is what I think is a great alternative. The heat that you get inside the tent is not only very hot and dry, but it also fume free! They are making the heaters with tent camping in mind and have “all-in-one” units. I would suggest doing some research on those units for a heating alternative. I don’t own one yet, but plan to add it to the cold month arsenal!

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I can’t help with the RTT vs Pop-up debate, but I have been researching cold weather camping and hearing solutions. My wife is not a fan of Mr. Heater Buddy in a tent with 2 small kids. The Chinese diesel heater thing is what I think is a great alternative. The heat that you get inside the tent is not only very hot and dry, but it also fume free! They are making the heaters with tent camping in mind and have “all-in-one” units. I would suggest doing some research on those units for a heating alternative. I don’t own one yet, but plan to add it to the cold month arsenal!
That would at least solve the warmth problem! I did look into them a bit before and the systems looked really overpriced. But apparently there are good reviews of these Chinese knock-offs. I may give it a shot. I have so much money into a quality tent setup that I may just stick with it if I can keep it warm enough. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Ubiety and srotier

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
The Chinese diesel heaters need some tweaking, but work well once they are setup. As noted no fumes and very hot, you should have a battery shut off installed as a safety for your battery as they can draw down a fair bit if running for along period.

Here is a link to a Discovery forum I am on with his build Parking heater for D2 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Reactions: MtnManAlex

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have a RTT. It is going to be pretty obvious your up there with the ladder deployed. Have you looked at the Ursa Minor pop up top?
The diesel heaters are very good!

Reactions: Ubiety

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It is difficult to give advice here, as the question of RTT or popup roof depends very much on your own preferences.

Personally I'm a big fan of of popup roofs. But this doesn´t help you to make your own decision. Howver, you asked about the point of quick set-up and take down. I think the popup roof has a huge advantage here. For example I just stop, open the backdoor, open two interlocks and push the roof a little and thats it. I've never owned a roof tent myself, but met many roof-top campers and have observed that it definitely takes longer to set up and take down a RTT than a popup roof.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@MtnManAlex

I went to a hard side A frame popup (< --- see Avatar).
Pros:
  • Bought it used for a reasonable price.
  • Headroom (There is something to be said for beaing able to standup and strech in the aframe that a RTT or teardrop just can't match.)
  • Sleeps 2 adult couples comfortablely (1 full size+ bed and 1 Queen)
  • Fridge, Furnace, water and power, on board
  • Don't need to figure out a zipper and ladder 1/2 asleep when ya gotta Shake hands with a spruce in the middle of the night.
  • Quick to load up and go
Cons:
  • It's Big
  • It's kinda heavy (~3200 lbs dry but ready to camp can't push her around like can be done with a teardrop)
    Can be towed by my 3.4L v6 Tacoma But with over 300k on the clock she does not like doing so in the the Colorado Mountains. The 4.7L V8 4Runner tows it like it's not even there.)
  • No crapper (easily fixed for ~$75-$120 at Cabellas/MalWart etc)
  • I suck at backing it up
To answer your questions:
1. a) Speed of set-up
Once parked I can have it unhitched, Leveled, and popped up in 15 mins alone and not in a hurry. Could probably do it in 10 In a rush.
Time to drop+pop vs flatten & hook up is about the same. Both go faster with 2 people.
b) Ease of finding camp spots.
Has not been a problem. Camped all over Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and the Eastern Sierra so far not a problem.
Boondocking, just find a spot that is roughly level left to right, Adjust the leveling legs and set the trailer jack for Front to back level.
I tend to look for a pull through spot but given enough time I can get her backed into a spot. (and entertain any onlookers at my use of colorful adjectives while doing so. )

2. Warmth.
She's got a propane furnace; Set the temp you want and sleep comfortably. Winter camping in RMNP... No problem. Surprise inch of snow over night in the Sierra ... still wake toasty.
Wind... well THAT can be an issue. Mostly noise. But stock the wind blows through the seams like a tent. Sticks of Pipe insulation or Fun noodles can be used to fix this.

Other concerns:
Wrangler / Renegade, tow capacity max 2,000lbs.
Look for an Chalet LTW or ALINER ALITE. Used go for $4-5k. They are smaller and lighter than my Chalet. IIRC depending on features these are around 1000 lbs and should still make the 2k limit ready to roll out.

Needs to be moderately off-road capable.
Mine is modded : Lifted with a spring over configuration and Truck tires. It rides level with my 2.5" lifted 4runner.
That does not make it a capable off roader. It's Damn near 7' wide, way to long for any thing but a mild break over.
These trailers are made from pine 2x2's held together by spit, staples and a prayer. Washboard roads will over time rattle them apart.

You might also want to look into if an offroad tear drop will meet your needs. This will likely cost in the same range as my aframe but if built right will be much more capable off road (less moving structural parts). There are a few members here with outstanding teardrop rigs who may weigh in if you ask about them.

Hope this helps.
Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@MtnManAlex
Personally I'm a big fan of of popup roofs. But this doesn´t help you to make your own decision. Howver, you asked about the point of quick set-up and take down. I think the popup roof has a huge advantage here. For example I just stop, open the backdoor, open two interlocks and push the roof a little and thats it. I've never owned a roof tent myself, but met many roof-top campers and have observed that it definitely takes longer to set up and take down a RTT than a popup roof.

@El-Dracho makes a good point. You've got a wrangler. Check out the Ursa Minor site and see if they have something that will work for it.

There may be a few others making similar setups (maybe AT has one now but might just be for the Jeep Gladatior)

Boort

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Recently went through the decision of pop-up or canopy for a Gladiator - of the Alu Cab persuasion. Decided on canopy because my truck is a daily driver and I don’t want all of the weight and bulk of the pop-up on there when I am not using it. Not sure where/how I would store it if I took it off. Canopy gives me dry, dust free, locking storage and I don’t mind leaving it on all the time. Started researching RTTs this morning but am quite happy with the interior size and ease/quickness of the Gazelle T4.

A downside to RTTs/pop-ups is that you cannot just take off from a base camp without packing up your home on wheels (unless yours is on a trailer like @Boort’s)

Last edited: