US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

We are researching options for RTTs and am having difficulty wading through whats out there. So far the brands I have a passing familiarity with include: iKamper, CVT, Smittybuilt, 23Zero, and Tepui. I was wondering what other options are out there and what your experiences have been with specific models.
I'm a big fan of buy one cry once, presently there is just the two of us but would ideally like to have extra room if we decide to bring the pups with us or kids if/when we have them. Our plans presently are mostly weekend to a week long trips. We are equipping our Short Bed Tacoma for overlanding and would like for the RTT to fit on a bed rack (TBD) so max length around 60-65inches to minimize overhang past the bumper.

I really appreciate y'alls input.

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
We are researching options for RTTs and am having difficulty wading through whats out there. So far the brands I have a passing familiarity with include: iKamper, CVT, Smittybuilt, 23Zero, and Tepui. I was wondering what other options are out there and what your experiences have been with specific models.
I'm a big fan of buy one cry once, presently there is just the two of us but would ideally like to have extra room if we decide to bring the pups with us or kids if/when we have them. Our plans presently are mostly weekend to a week long trips. We are equipping our Short Bed Tacoma for overlanding and would like for the RTT to fit on a bed rack (TBD) so max length around 60-65inches to minimize overhang past the bumper.

I really appreciate y'alls input.
There are a growing number of tents to choose from. (RTT specifically). The soft shell design that folds over is a patent that dozens of companies purchase and then choose their own materials. I had a CVT Rainier and loved it. I’m fickle and trying new tents. My ikamper is shipping this week. I think the Rainier is 72” and you might enjoy the Shasta as it will fit your dimensions. Epic family road trip uses two of these Shasta’s if you want to see them in action.

Smittybuilts and tepuis fill a space in the market and they are successful but also on the lower end of the spectrum I.e. you get what you pay for

All of my interactions with CVT were enjoyable. I kept a credit card on file in Bend to make it easier when I called for accessories

Find the everything roof top tents group on Facebook and find a post from today about customer service at a well known company supported by YouTube influencers. Enjoy the comments.

If you can make that 72” tent fit it will make your trips with kids and dogs more enjoyable. My girlfriend and I kept duffle bags, books, lantern, jackets, pillows, all kinds of things in the tent at night. There was just so much space

I also recommend putting tape on your living room floor to simulate the sleeping dimensions of a possible tent purchase. Grab sleeping bags and pillows. Get the wife and both of you try laying inside the tape lines and see how long you stay comfortable. (This is how I ended up with an ikamper)

Cheers

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

23zero Walkabout 72 seems to be what would fit your needs. That's what I originally had but went with a roofnest on my tacoma instead. I do a lot of beach camping and didn't want to fight with the wind anymore.

Reactions: Iridium

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would add RoofNest and Free Spirit Recreation brands to your search pattern as well. James Baroud and Eezi Awn seem to make quality units but at a higher price point.

Mudbeast44

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Port St. Lucie, FL, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Neckles
Member #

I just purchased a Ironman 4x4 RTT, the quality is very nice so far and the mattress is very comfy. You can get a coupon for joining the mailing list as well.