Rtt on 2015 silverado

• HTML tutorial

disk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guys,
New here, so first off thanks for the resource. I'm a firefighter hailing from Maryland.
My question is, I'm hoping to set up a RTT on my silverado crew cab, but the racks from thule and rhino racks are both rated for 165lb (I'm guessing dynamic or in motion weight rating). Do you think these racks would suffice? The tent is well under the load limit, but the static load would be the tent plus me (190) and my girlfriend (100). I can't really utilize a bed rack right now due to a tonneau cover.
Here's the bars I was viewing http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/roof-racks/vortex/vortex-2500-black-2-bar-roof-rack_ja4068
I also just bought an m416 as an alternative but have no welding skills to prep it and am debating selling.
Thanks!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Welcome to the forum. I can't speak for the rack your looking at but there are a few rigs on here with RTT's above the pick up bed. Hopefully they will be around shortly to answer your question. I've been wanting to get my hands on an m416 for a long time. Good luck with your build.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

If you decide to go over the bed here is my setup. I'm on version 3 of having a rtt mounted to my bed and so far this new version is the best..... It's a leitner design active cargo system with a cvt summit series tent...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

disk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks guys, the Leitner looks great! I just can't justify taking the tonneau off yet. Still looking for suggestions, also weighing the option of keeping the trailer and putting an xsporter rack on it.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Thanks guys, the Leitner looks great! I just can't justify taking the tonneau off yet. Still looking for suggestions, also weighing the option of keeping the trailer and putting an xsporter rack on it.
I don't think those load bars will support you. A friend of mine installed a frontrunner rack to the top of his cab (f150) but it did require drilling into the cab....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Based on my experience with Thule/Yakima the weight limit is probably based on your vehicle not the actual rack. Often the fit book will have an * explaining the weight limit.

I'd look at your options over the truck bed. Whether its a simple ladder rack or something 4x4 specific. One advantage you have above the bed is that you can position the RTT at the same level as the cab height for better MPG as well as a lower center of gravity.

If you need the enclosed storage then a topper with a rack could be an option but you will have to search for something with enough strength and probably run 3 load bars minimum. Ladder racks can go over the topper. Or a custom rack. Depending on your tonneau cover maybe a custom rack could work with it?

disk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Based on my experience with Thule/Yakima the weight limit is probably based on your vehicle not the actual rack. Often the fit book will have an * explaining the weight limit.

I'd look at your options over the truck bed. Whether its a simple ladder rack or something 4x4 specific. One advantage you have above the bed is that you can position the RTT at the same level as the cab height for better MPG as well as a lower center of gravity.

If you need the enclosed storage then a topper with a rack could be an option but you will have to search for something with enough strength and probably run 3 load bars minimum. Ladder racks can go over the topper. Or a custom rack. Depending on your tonneau cover maybe a custom rack could work with it?
Thanks Corbet,
Yeah I just spoke with Rhino Rack and they said the only option would be to do a track system (also drilling into the cab obviously). I'd considered putting a rack over the cover, but the tonneau wouldn't accommodate it. Back to the drawing board I suppose for the time being.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

So there is some space on top of the bed rail. You may be able to build or have built a rack that would still allow the tonneau to open. If fab work is not your thing take it to a local OffRoad shop and discuss your needs. Steel is pretty cheap. Labor is what you'll pay for.

disk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cool, I didn't think it'd be doable without those bedside slots showing- I'll have to find a shop and see what they can rig up! Thanks again for the insight

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

All comes down to how those bed rail caps are mounted and if your comfortable with someone trimming them a little to make room for some additional structure above. Or maybe the rack could be mounted between the tonneau rail caps and the bed?

disk

Rank 0

Contributor I

I was thinking the latter, sliding between the two- although I suppose if you trimmed enough to access the other hole up front that may work. I still do have this and it might just turn out to be the easier option even with the needed replacements and overhaul.