San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet
Hey all! I’m looking for some input on a mattress upgrade for my CVT Pioneer Series Mt. Reiner RTT. The current “mattress” that comes in it measures 70”x94”. I’ve looked at all sorts of brands and nothing comes close to that size. I’m wanting to upgrade due to having a bad back and need something with more support and can handle being stored inside the RTT when not in use and not get moldy like a regular foam topper would. Any input would be greatly appreciated! \lll/

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

we had a custom one for our James Baroud. We used mattressmakers.com They have a store front down in Mira Mar. A little bit of a drive from you.

Reactions: Make Wai Overland

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
My tent only came with a ,two inc thick, vynil covered mattress, and not the best. After I added a condensation Matt, it slept much better. My wife still likes a cot sized air mattress on top of that to alleviate pressure on her hips.

Make Wai Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet
My tent only came with a ,two inc thick, vynil covered mattress, and not the best. After I added a condensation Matt, it slept much better. My wife still likes a cot sized air mattress on top of that to alleviate pressure on her hips.
Hey thanks for that, ours came with the condensation mat as well and it’s my bad back that needs something more supportive. I think my best option is something custom or 2 individual mattresses lol

Make Wai Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet
we had a custom one for our James Baroud. We used mattressmakers.com They have a store front down in Mira Mar. A little bit of a drive from you.
Out of curiosity, what were all the details on your mattress ordering? Size, cost, we’re you able to keep it in the tent all the time? Etc…

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

The baroud mattress is “hourglass” shaped so it was complete custom. I think we went with 5 or 6 inches thick. It is roughly king sized. We went with “mid” tier options. There was 1 higher grade than we went with. We paid around 1600. It stays in all the time and we are able to close it. They sent 2 guys out and took measurements to ensure it would fit. They were there about an hour measuring. Let me know if you have other questions

Make Wai Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet
^^^^Agree^^^^ I've been running one the last several months in my Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. I've broken my back twice and my hip once. . . although comfort is an illusion the HEST mattress is a tremendous improvement to the quality of sleep for me in the backcountry.
I’d love to go with something like that but that are just too small, I have 72x96 of sleep space and sometimes I’m have 3 kiddos with me. Need something to fill that entire area up. I think my only option is to get a custom cut foam topper.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

^^^^Agree^^^^ I've been running one the last several months in my Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. I've broken my back twice and my hip once. . . although comfort is an illusion the HEST mattress is a tremendous improvement to the quality of sleep for me in the backcountry.

Sorry. . . should have read your original post a more carefully - I believe their 94" RTT mattress only comes in 55" wide version. I'm running the Dually Long at 50" x 78" and am quite pleased with it.

Make Wai Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet

Sorry. . . should have read your original post a more carefully - I believe their 94" RTT mattress only comes in 55" wide version. I'm running the Dually Long at 50" x 78" and am quite pleased with it.

No worries!