Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Any ideas about getting a RTT mounted? Mine is a complete pain in the butt. Took three of us forever to get it on top of my Jeep. Youtube makes everything look way easier than it actually is. I have thought about and really looked at a mobile hoist. Looks like it could be rigged to make short work of it. Just asking for some advice. Thanks

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

We’ll probably need a bit more info from you to help.

What kind of roof top tent do you have? Make and model?

What rack system on top of your Jeep are you trying to install it on?

Any pics of the specific problems you’re encountering?

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Depends on your rack and tent.

I have a Tepui Ayer, Frontrunner Slimline II rack, Frontrunner RTT brackets and it takes 10min to take on/off with 2 people.

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

It's a Smittybilt Overlander XL on a Kargomaster Safari rack. I had to buy additional cross bars for the rack. It was just a pain to get it lifted to the top and secured. Very little room for tightening the brackets to the rack.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Ok, got it. So it sounds like you got it installed at this point. That clearance issue you mention is definitely a common problem with certain rack's. Not much you can do about it other than to get someone with small hands to do it!:grinning:

Do you plan on leaving it installed all the time? I couldn't imagine taking off my RTT every time I got back from being out. Way too much effort!

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have the nabo rack and what a pain in the ass to install. I added a set of cross bars to raise the tent a touch and now mount to side bars. Much easier. I can do it by myself in 20-30 minutes total with electric hoist in barn.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I have a Burmis Outdoor Crowsnest and I usually do it with 2 people (myself included). One tip I can offer is to shorten the threads; it will give some more space for your hands to get the nuts on and decrease the time required to tighten/loosen each nut.
Obviously I would only advise shortening the threads if theres enough excess thread once the rack is mounted and tight.

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Ok, got it. So it sounds like you got it installed at this point. That clearance issue you mention is definitely a common problem with certain rack's. Not much you can do about it other than to get someone with small hands to do it!:grinning:

Do you plan on leaving it installed all the time? I couldn't imagine taking off my RTT every time I got back from being out. Way too much effort!
Nope. It has to come off after every trip. Won't fit in my garage with the tent on.

Reactions: sabjku

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
So when I had my factory rack on my 4runner, I bought aftermarket crossbars. 1st time mounting was a pain. Took forever. Very little room. I ended up finding it easier to leave the tent mounted to the crossbars, and just taking the crossbars off the truck. I could loosen them and it was an easier lift point.

Now I have a front runner I cant do that anymore. I pull the 4runner as close as I can to my f350. Put the tent on its side on the bed rails and lean it over onto the 4runner. Then slide it on. But I also do it by my self. I take my tent off when I'm not using it since she wont fit in the garage with it on. We get a lot of hail this time of year and dont want to deal with that.

Not sure what kind of crossbars you have but it may help?

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

I ended up leaving the crossbars mounted to the tent. I remove the crossbars to take it off. So far, it's WAAAYYY easier. Better accessibility. Gonna try the 2x4s next go around.

Thanks!!!!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Any ideas about getting a RTT mounted? Mine is a complete pain in the butt. Took three of us forever to get it on top of my Jeep. Youtube makes everything look way easier than it actually is. I have thought about and really looked at a mobile hoist. Looks like it could be rigged to make short work of it. Just asking for some advice. Thanks
Yeah, go to the nearest high school football coach and tell him your problem. His football boys will have it up there in one minute flat. I'm not kidding...

Reactions: Migu

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Pretty sure I've post this before, but simple solo loading solution for me is just a few 2x4's. I injured my back pretty good lifting the tent up there one time. Now I just roll the tent over on a dolly and slide it right up. Not too much hassle and cost me next to nothing.

View attachment 97448
Very clever, I think I would move the skids closer to the lawn so I could put stakes in the lawn to keep the ramps from slipping downward though.

Reactions: Migu