RTT Dumb question Alert...

• HTML tutorial

Stevenson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Noblesville, Indiana
Member #

So I am contemplating a RTT. My question is this...if it is up on your vehicle which is 5, 6, 7 feet up, what do you do about severe weather/ high wind? Is it more susceptible to more, higher wind being that high up off the ground? What about lightening? I've been in a tent for plenty of storms, but I haven't been in a tent 6+ feet in the air in a storm. Sorry in advance...I warned you it might be dumb. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: W6WWK

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
We've been in a couple of severe wind events out in Death Valley with our CVT RTT and had zero issues in what were probably 40-50mph gusts. We even had dinner in the Annex when a storm came up out of nowhere. It seemed to fair much better then some of the ground tents nearby. I didn't bring down any of the window awnings either. To us the 6ft off the ground didn't make any difference.

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

Have been in mine during a hellacious wind storm. The fj was rockin but it stayed put.
The dog, I just pick him up and set him in the tent.

Reactions: villaphoto

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I've been in hellish winds that felt like a bull was ramming into the side of my rig. My CVT Mt Shasta extended series with annex held up amazing even with the window flaps open. It's like being in a fortress, it does make noise but I am still able to cook and sleep.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Bkins13

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB T5S 0J4, Canada
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Kinley
Member #

The RTT's these days are so well designed and built that you barely notice the strong winds. Once you have your tent anchored to the rack on your truck/SUV it feels extremely solid. I barely notice the wind in my tent, while others in ground tents are constantly fixing their pegs/flys

FamilyAdventuresOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Virginia Beach, Va
Member #

Most of the new RTT have been tested in high winds. You can get on YouTube and see where Tempui and CVT both have driven down the highway at 60Mph just to test the integrity of their tents. We have a Freespirit Recreation Canopy RTT and have been in 40Mph sustained and gusting 50-60Mph during a Gail warning on South Core Island. Only issue we had was the canopy started to turn into a parachute and pull the anchor cords from the beach we were on. We ended up folding it up and sleeping in the truck since the kids were with. IMG_2579.JPG

Reactions: Delux2769
My tents about 8ft off the ground on top of the cab of my truck, we spent this whole weekend in it, Friday night was so windy I'd say 30-40 mph winds, I kept thinking wede get blown off but woke up and everything was okay! I personally think being off the ground is slightly less impactful wind then on the ground.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

High winds are the bane of overlanding,, I've been on the Mojave Road and many a time have seen gusts of 80 knots, easily,
Flagstaff, last year at Expo, the wind never stopped, fed up many departed early, stupid me I remained and my anemometer clocked 85 knots on Saturday night, my ARV Simpson, shook rattled, and made it they, all you can do is prepare, the winds are inevitable,

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
For most of my trip to Colorado and back it rained. The way back it rained a lot. In high winds and rain I never had an issue. Like others, my truck rocked sometimes from the wind, but it was never a problem.

I actually found it to be an advantage, especially on my last stop on the way home. I called the closest KOA to me to rent a space as I was getting too tired to continue to safely drive. I asked for a spot and she said had plenty open, but they were all flooded. I told her I would take whatever she had and not to worry about the flooding. When I pulled in at 10 at night in the dark it was absolutely pouring and the site had probably a foot of water. The RV folks on higher lots were sitting under awnings looking on wondering what I was going to do. I had that tent set up and was high and dry in ten minutes. Everyone with a ground tent had to pack up and sleep in their cars for the night and then pack up soaking wet gear the next morning. Needless to say I had a few people asking about the tent the next morning.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

For most of my trip to Colorado and back it rained. The way back it rained a lot. In high winds and rain I never had an issue. Like others, my truck rocked sometimes from the wind, but it was never a problem.

I actually found it to be an advantage, especially on my last stop on the way home. I called the closest KOA to me to rent a space as I was getting too tired to continue to safely drive. I asked for a spot and she said had plenty open, but they were all flooded. I told her I would take whatever she had and not to worry about the flooding. When I pulled in at 10 at night in the dark it was absolutely pouring and the site had probably a foot of water. The RV folks on higher lots were sitting under awnings looking on wondering what I was going to do. I had that tent set up and was high and dry in ten minutes. Everyone with a ground tent had to pack up and sleep in their cars for the night and then pack up soaking wet gear the next morning. Needless to say I had a few people asking about the tent the next morning.
Advantage RTT good call

Reactions: villaphoto