RTT CAMPER OR POP UP CAMPER?

• HTML tutorial

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

I'm looking for opinions, I've been considering purchasing a camper or pop up. I've had a smittybilt overland tent and I liked it but I sold it for more then I paid for it!

Reactions: Stephanie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I had a pop up cabover camper which was nice, especially when the weather wasn’t. It was pretty heavy and made the truck pretty useless when it was on. It wasn’t too big of a deal to load an unload but not really convenient either. It was nice to have all of the camping gear loaded at all times in it though. I couldn’t go the places I do now with it, but that’s relative to where you plan on wheeling. I now have a shell and a hard top rtt that has worked out better for my needs. It lives on the truck and I still have the bed empty which is nice. I keep a couple of totes with camping gear ready to go so it’s quick to load up. I find that I use it way more on spur of the moment trips since I don’t have to load and unload the cab over every time. The cab over was nicer to hang out in if the weather got nasty though and be able to sit at the table with the heater on etc...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TerryD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

ive actually been considering getting a truck bed trailer and installing a slide in camper on it as well. then i can disconnect when i wanna wheel

Sent from my SM-J727T using OB Talk mobile app
If you got something that also fit your truck you’d have a multipurpose rig without spending a lot of money on a dedicated trailer etc. you’d probably need a 3/4 ton p/u trailer or at least overload springs or airbags on a 1/2 ton. Even the pop up campers are pretty heavy especially loaded.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
For a single guy, I would think a RTT or converting a camper shell into a sleeping platform (if you have a pickup) would both be good options. I have a family of 5, so there's not many RTTs with the amount of room we'd need out there. The wife and I have been talking about one of the high clearance pop-up campers that will sleep up to 6 people. Then we'd have a table, couch, stove and sink and possibly a shower and toilet depending on which model we choose.

I don't want to do hard core off-roading with the Xterra like I did with my K5, so pulling a trailer through 90% of the trails I plan on being on wouldn't be such an issue. Plus with the fridge and other things like that onboard the trailer, we can leave the trailer packed and rigged for trips and the back of the Xterra would be fairly open most of the time.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

For me - I'm thinking I would like to get an M1101 or M1102 Humvee trailer and build it out. They have same wheels as our F-250 and can be built to anything I want. Even the mounting of a nice pop up camper if we choose.

On the truck we have a shell / topper and we truck camp in it and it works nice. But we can not sit up in it at a table if the weather goes bad, which for us out here in SoCal is usually high winds blowing dust, dirt and tents all around.

Currently we also have awnings one on each side. If the winds are low we can set up the walls on the AluCab for a tent around part of the truck.

Shadow 1.jpg
Shadow 2.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P and TerryD

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

For a single guy, I would think a RTT or converting a camper shell into a sleeping platform (if you have a pickup) would both be good options. I have a family of 5, so there's not many RTTs with the amount of room we'd need out there. The wife and I have been talking about one of the high clearance pop-up campers that will sleep up to 6 people. Then we'd have a table, couch, stove and sink and possibly a shower and toilet depending on which model we choose.

I don't want to do hard core off-roading with the Xterra like I did with my K5, so pulling a trailer through 90% of the trails I plan on being on wouldn't be such an issue. Plus with the fridge and other things like that onboard the trailer, we can leave the trailer packed and rigged for trips and the back of the Xterra would be fairly open most of the time.
ive got a girlfriend and a dog. which is most of the reason i'm thinking a camper.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I think it really depends on how you intend to camp.

Do you stay in developed campground regularly? And do you camp in one spot, and return over and over again during an outting?

If the answer is yes, then a popup or a teardrop or the like make sense. Take it, drop it, go do whatever, come back.

If you are however moving from place to place and only camping overnight, just realize with a truck anything you are pulling behind you might as well be a land anchor. Limiting in options to some degree.

We chose the RTT because our camping tends to be overnight moving between places. Rather than camping in a campground and running off to do stuff and coming back.

A slide in can give you best of both, but there is still stow and go before you leave like with a RTT.

Just spend some time really thinking about how you want to camp, what that looks like more often than not. Go from there.

Indeed, I'm working towards freeing up
alot of time and relocating across the Country.
Get out of Tampa and come west. I haven't looked back since.

Reactions: GHQ1

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

ive got a girlfriend and a dog. which is most of the reason i'm thinking a camper.

I have a wife (married now for 37yrs and loving it) and a 55lb shepherd mix we all go out everywhere together all the time. We tend to go out set up and stay at least two days or more unless it is just a one night quick get away thing.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

A RTT would be fine for just two people and a dog. You wouldn't have to be as concerned about where you went if everything is on a single vehicle. But, I certainly see the merit of a camper.

In my opinion, you'd be better off getting a pop-up or teardrop instead of a slide in and a back half of a pickup as a trailer. You'll save weight and effort that way and effort=$$.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

A RTT would be fine for just two people and a dog. You wouldn't have to be as concerned about where you went if everything is on a single vehicle. But, I certainly see the merit of a camper.

In my opinion, you'd be better off getting a pop-up or teardrop instead of a slide in and a back half of a pickup as a trailer. You'll save weight and effort that way and effort=$$.
Only thing I would add to this is that in the wind, rain or snow a hard side cover sure wins out over a soft sided tent, even if you can not sit up in it completely. Especially true when it comes to sleeping.

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

I'm looking at a small pop up camper this week, has no ac so i'll have to add that then i'm also going to add a generator and a 100 watt solar panel if I buy it.

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Has anyone seen these in person? Looks like a really cool idea in theory, however the execution is hard to really judge from photos.
I have but did not unfold it. I like it for the off the ground sleeping and storage.

That said. On another forum, a guy picked up two of them for 6k I think.. dealer wasn’t paying attention to what was going on and had already agreed to the sale. and a friend of his bought the other one from him. The original Guy really likes it. If I can find the link, I will cross post it here (tonight) as long as the mods do not mind.

Reactions: AndyMKE

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

A huge fail on my part... the Guy that has one , has his info over several threads. And the pix that have been hijacked by photobucket don’t show up.

I shall keep my mouth quiet now.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I had a pop up cabover camper which was nice, especially when the weather wasn’t. It was pretty heavy and made the truck pretty useless when it was on. It wasn’t too big of a deal to load an unload but not really convenient either. It was nice to have all of the camping gear loaded at all times in it though. I couldn’t go the places I do now with it, but that’s relative to where you plan on wheeling. I now have a shell and a hard top rtt that has worked out better for my needs. It lives on the truck and I still have the bed empty which is nice. I keep a couple of totes with camping gear ready to go so it’s quick to load up. I find that I use it way more on spur of the moment trips since I don’t have to load and unload the cab over every time. The cab over was nicer to hang out in if the weather got nasty though and be able to sit at the table with the heater on etc...

This was very useful and exactly the kind of info I need to make my decision.

XJ-YJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Richmond Virginia
Member #

I was debating the same thing, RTT or a base camp. Wanted something I could take on mild trails and be able to stand up in. I finally decided on a small pop up. So far it meets my needs. The only downside I can see right now is that it would be difficult to camp stealthily in a parking lot etc on a long trip.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/euJ4MccRbO2TnU3v2