Rank 0

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Stark
Hello,

I value a quick set up and am interested to know if anyone else is tired of stacking rocks to have a level sleeping surface. I'm considering building a mechanical system to auto level my roof top tent at the push of a button.
I'm curious to know what everyone's solution is for sleeping flat. Does anyone have anything fancier than leveling blocks? I am out in the weeds with this idea? Thoughts and feedback appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

My dad carries a set of boards to put under the tires. I took it one step further and drilled dimples in the bottom and put small bolts in the top so my set would stack and lock similar to legos.
My preferred option now is cheap galvanized stacking stabilizer jack stands. The set supports up to 6000 pounds so more than enough to finish leveling a vehicle that’s reasonably level to start with. Depending on the height and expected terrain, I’d put some boards under them.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
As long as my head is higher than my feet I’m good. Sleeping with my head lower than my feet gives me weird dreams. Ive seen guys actually beak out a bubble level and spend a great deal of time getting perfectly level. I can’t be bothered. If it were important to me, I’d figure out how to use a pair of air bag suspension helpers mounted on the axles and a way to easily inflate one or the other to set up, then easily deflate when breaking camp. Something like this. E1EF4B37-8E09-49A8-B847-5E8D2E5593B3.png

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

As long as my head is higher than my feet I’m good. Sleeping with my head lower than my feet gives me weird dreams. Ive seen guys actually beak out a bubble level and spend a great deal of time getting perfectly level. I can’t be bothered. If it were important to me, I’d figure out how to use a pair of air bag suspension helpers mounted on the axles and a way to easily inflate one or the other to set up, then easily deflate when breaking camp. Something like this. View attachment 217303
Totally .. in the past, I have had to ground camp on inclines, and i usually make sure that my head is higher than my legs.
As for leveling the RTT, anything more than leveling blocks or traction boards would be too much effort for very little and incremental comfort.

Reactions: er waddell and MOAK

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
On my pickup truck it was leveling boards. 24 inch long 2x8's screwed together to form a series of steps four high. that gave each one 2-8 inch of lift. used that method for years.

Reactions: er waddell

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I purchased scissor jacks and mounted them to the 4 corners of the trailer. They are very easy and quick to deploy and serve multiple functions: levels the trailer, stabilized the trailer from excessive movement when I’m up in the tent or on the roof deck (my roof rack is extended to give me a deck) and they can lift the trailer high enough to change the tires if needed. The jacks I bought are rated to 5000lbs and extend to 30 inches. I paid @$120 for the set of 4.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I purchased scissor jacks and mounted them to the 4 corners of the trailer. They are very easy and quick to deploy and serve multiple functions: levels the trailer, stabilized the trailer from excessive movement when I’m up in the tent or on the roof deck (my roof rack is extended to give me a deck) and they can lift the trailer high enough to change the tires if needed. The jacks I bought are rated to 5000lbs and extend to 30 inches. I paid @$120 for the set of 4.
On the very first tour I led several years ago, a poor fellow had leveling scissor jacks. One the very first trail, one of them was ripped off, the other was removed before any further damage could be done. How have you hung yours to prevent this?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
On the very first tour I led several years ago, a poor fellow had leveling scissor jacks. One the very first trail, one of them was ripped off, the other was removed before any further damage could be done. How have you hung yours to prevent this?
I did not hang them, I welded some angle brackets to the frame of my trailer and keep the jacks in the tongue box. I just seat them when setting up camp. This way they are safe AND I can use them on either the trailer OR the truck OR on someone else’s rig to change a tire or level their rig if they are camping with me and they need help. I have 4x jacks. If my trailer stays hooked to my rig, I usually only need two jacks to level/stabilize my trailer. If I set up base camp and disconnect the trailer to run some trails, I can use the jacks to level/stabilize the trailer,lift the trailer and remove a tire (to prevent/deter someone dragging off my trailer). I also plan to weld up a removable hitch to harden my trailer a little as a target, but that’s another topic of discussion altogether...

Reactions: MOAK

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

I just use leveling blocks when it's on my bed rack and the leveling posts when one trailer. A few years ago a guy on the Tundra forums tried (succeeded?) doing an automatic leveler. I followed it, what I remember it took a a long time plenty of cash and several iterations before he got it to work (not sure if he still has it. One of the problems was dealing with weight tolerances off-road.

Trail Blazer I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7ZSA
I carry two 2x8 boards that I set up over a rock or log to level the Jeep and RTT. They are about 30” long and I can find the sweet spot on the ramp. Works perfectly and easy to store on the roof rack.

speedkills

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Auburn, California, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Delmore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YND
On my old LR4 I had an auto-leveling system on the suspension, I would press a button when I parked and it would auto-level. On my G-Wagen I have CTIS so I can level by changing tire pressures from the drivers seat.

So….probably not what you were looking for.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I thought about welding them to the 4 corners of my trailer, then opted to just weld up some brackets and store the jacks in the tool box until needed, avoiding issues like described.

Reactions: MOAK