RTT and Suspension question

• HTML tutorial

Eric Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bossier City, LA
Member #

I have a 2015 JKU that I am trying to build up. I want to get a roof rack and add a tent down the road but am wondering if I need to upgrade the suspension first. I will be getting the Gobi Stealth rack but have not decided on a tent yet. Thanks for any input and advice.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

The tent depending on model will weight..... @ 250lbs at the most (72" wide ruggedized model with 2 sleeping bags) remove the annex and floor, you save weight, get a narrower model, again, save weight, get a thinner material, again save weight. But for worse case, 250. Thats a good solid US Male sitting in the middle of your back seat. The rack will weight... @100lbs. So 350lbs, toss some people in the truck to get an idea. But remember this static pre pack load. Now fill up with camping goods, do more than just you and maybe your girl go out? IE back seat being used with people. It adds up. Eventually you will need suspension, but if its just you, and you have not armored your rig, you should be fine. Now lets say you have drawers, fridge, full load out, 4 people in the rig, external jerry cans/ rotopax, upgrade the armor then toss in the rack/ tent, you will already be in trouble.

Bear in mind I drive an X not a JKU, but when I first got my X I had a garage of things to toss onto it. Since I know what I was wanting before I dived into this. I had shrockworks bumper/ swing out tire carrier, all skid plates, sliders, Gobi rack, full suspension lift, winch, etc. But I still had to work 60-80 hours a week. So I started easy. I put on the bumpers, and sliders, then the gobi rack. With the Pro4X factory suspension and a few hundred miles on it, I figured the weight pushed her down 0.5" give or take, the front would nose dive under braking, and I would hit bumpstops thru dips in the neighborhood I usually did not. So the next weekend I lifted her, no more hitting. I had over 3" of lift on top of the 0.5" I made back up from squatting due to the load of the metal added. I have since found the right setup where she sits about level when loaded, a little rake in the rear unloaded, but Im happy.

Great thinking ahead on what you want to do and what can occur first, but with a stock setup, and adding the rack/ tent, I think you will be fine, but it will be more top heavy. yet you will hear this often, your result may vary.

Reactions: alaskan.lad

Eric Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bossier City, LA
Member #

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be adding 3" of lift but will probably grab the rack first. When we go, it would most likely only be myself and wife. I noticed hitting the bump stops over the summer on a cross country road trip we took, but we were weighted down pretty good.

Julian Cook

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort walton beach fl.
First Name
Chip
Last Name
cook
Member #

2015jku rubicon, stock suspention and stock 32 bfg k02's. Hardshell rtt on rhino rack backbone and pioneer platform, lots of other gear in back, total load about 350-400lbs or so. Added airlift 1000 airbags and wireless one inflator system, works like a dream. Installed the.pump system behind the right rear tail light. Run 8psi unloaded, 20psi loaded, really handels awesome. Air up or down on the fly using a wireless control in cockpit

I have a 2017 JKU.

I have the Gobi stealth.

Currently stock suspension and wheels and tires.

Just came back from another Overland Trip and handled fine. No issues.

I have a RTT on the way with a foxwing awning.

I will run it with stock suspension for a while. It will be a more comfortable ride with an upgraded suspension I’ll tell you that much. Even aired down.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk