Route/hike ideas? Minnesota through South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and maybe Oregon

• HTML tutorial

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

We have 2 months to adventure! I have a few weeks in Minnesota planned but then we're going west in search of mountains and dog-friendly hiking.
I'm new to overlanding but not new to camping/hiking/backpacking. My Subaru Outback is capable but the limiting factor is my teardrop camper. It's on 12" tires but really lightweight (I roll it around like a wheelbarrow). We traveled national forest roads last summer without too many problems but stayed on plenty of paved roads too. This summer I was thinking of following the TAT (got the GPS for it) but I'm a bit nervous about the teardrop.

Can you share routes that would be tame enough for us to travel and yet adventurous? Do you have some ideas of hiking trails or areas where we could explore? I'm even thinking of basecamp for the teardrop and exploring in the Outback.

Last summer we loved the Bighorn Mountains and might go back. Oregon is another favorite. Usually we just wander around and ask locals to point out interesting places. We thought this would be another great place to ask for ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_5320.jpg