Rotopax VS Jerry Cans

• HTML tutorial

vicrimo

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Member #

I carry 2 jerry cans on the Baja flat rack with the Baja Jerry cans holder and also carry 2, 3 gallon rotopax on the spare tire when I'll be out in places like Death Valley.
1. For piece of mind and not having worry about running out or not being able to hit another trail because of having to fill up.
2. Prices can get pretty high in rural places. Call me cheap but I rather saved money whenever possible.

When traveling in places where I know gas stations are readily available, I just take with me the 2 rotopax. Again, just for piece of mind

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

It is also worth noting that the Rotopax are very robust ... not your everyday plastic fuel jug. I carry one on my dual sport motorcycle ... it's taken a pretty good beating and has never leaked a drop.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It is also worth noting that the Rotopax are very robust ... not your everyday plastic fuel jug. I carry one on my dual sport motorcycle ... it's taken a pretty good beating and has never leaked a drop.
Yeah I concur, you only complain about the price til you have them in your hands and realize that they are made to be bomb proof.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

blemished Roto 4gal link http://rotopax.com/4-Gallon-Packs/ $88 bucks

I always wished my Scepter was more "square" just for storage like the Roto's. I have a wimpy gas tank at 18.5 gallons. Armored and AT tires, it limits me to just over 200 miles per tank. So I need the 5 gal Scepters to go very far at all. I usually just bungie it to my roof rack...really the only reason I have a roof rack anymore. I have needed it and have helped others out with it. I haven't had problems with leaking or fumes, but it's cumbersome to use because of it's weight if you aren't of lumberjack stature.
These WILL expand and contract with vigor under temperature duress, but I'd never had any leak or issue. I have pulled it off to unscrew the cap and let some pressure out in the heat though. The thing was a balloon.

Hungryohv.jpeg

Last edited:

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I use Roto Pax. I went with them because i like the way they mounted securely, It gave me more options on placement. And they are pretty rugged and dont dent and rust as easy as some jerry cans i have used in the past. I have 2 2 gal one on my roof rack. Its not much but its also light and easy to handle compared to 5 gal cans. Out in parts of Arizona and Utah you can easily be in a tight spot gas wise. The first time i had to use my spare fuel, i wasn't even far from a gas station so i wasn't worried and i hadent topped off at the last station i passed. After a long 2 days camping and exploring remote dirt roads i came back to town around 11:00PM and the gas station was closed and did not have pumps you could operate 24hrs with a card. Next station was an hour away with the 4 gallons on the roof i made it with no worries and didn't have to spend the night. Even went i'm in a populated area i keep them full and rotate the gas because you never know. When i get a rear tire carrier and a spot to put them i might switch to jerry cans to hold more fuel but for now what i have works for me.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I got two 5 gallon Jerry cans. That's 10 gallons of fuel for the price of a 2 gallon Rotopax. These mount to my Gobi rack with their cargo/jerrycan strap system. It holds up to 4 Jerry cans extremely well. Enough to bring my H3 to half a tank, even though I usually fill up whenever I hit halfway because when I am exploring new roads, I don't wanna take unnecessary chances.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have a large Roto Pax (4 gal). It is longer than the 2 gal but the same width. I got it because I don't store anything on the roof. I have a couple cross bars up there and I have attached it up there fine. But mainly, its crazy versatile. It attaches much more securely in places that I either couldn't put a jerry can or would likely need to drill holes in my rig to make a permanent fixture. And like others have said, this thing is bomb proof. I honestly trust the durability of it over that of many of the jerry cans I have used in the past. But it all comes down to personal taste and application. The Roto works much better for my application and I feel better about it being secured and much more aerodynamic on those rare occasions it ends up on the roof.

E

expeditionnorth

I see a lot of trail/overland rigs sporting the Rotopax and it may just be me, but I honestly don't understand why. The price point is kind of extreme for something that only carries about 1 to 2 Gal of gas/water. Am I missing something about these things? Besides the fact that they look cool and are somewhat modular?
its another option
my worry would be puncturing those on a trail
I prefer my scepter potable water jugs and want to pick up at least one 5 gallon scepter fuel can as well for the M416 trailer
I just hate leaving a trail top go find gas because we've used more than expected

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Has anyone had leaking with rotopak mounted on their side through the spout?

Last edited:

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Update!
After years using rotopax I had some issues and am making a transition to jerry cans.

My rotopax have been great. I have them mounted on their side on my roof and haven't had any leaks from the spouts. I have 2 2gallon packs stacked.
My issue was from extreme heat while living in Death Valley. We had a few weeks with temperatures around 130 degrees and the rotopax swelled up like they do in the heat and split open. I contacted rotopax and they were very helpful in explaining that they don't self vent and those conditions would cause that. They also replaced both leaking rotopax under warranty so I have two new ones. So still a great company. But with how I have them mounted and the hot hot places I travel to, this may no longer be a good option.
I plan on getting a rear bumper tire carrier and a basket for jerry cans. Mainly for the greater capacity of 10 gallons compared to the 4 I carry now.

Just thought I'd share for others who might be in a similar situation.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: eLLezGX909

Bisco Bum

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

TImmins Ontario
Member #

I love the looks and apparent versatility of the Rotopax. I'm with Steve, I just can't get past the cost. Plus with a pickup storage and securing them is not an issue.
Also if someone steals my gas can, it easily replaced and not as costly.

Reactions: khorsa