Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I got a rotopax 2 gallon fuel container, mounted on my roofrack, and noticed it is already leaking.

It was purchased through amazon and past the 30 day return by a week.

I have a trip in 2 days, and was hoping to have extra fuel for the trip.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I got a rotopax 2 gallon fuel container, mounted on my roofrack, and noticed it is already leaking.

It was purchased through amazon and past the 30 day return by a week.

I have a trip in 2 days, and was hoping to have extra fuel for the trip.
buy another one and send back the leaky one under the shipping number of the new one. if its an identical item there won't be a problem, just request a refund and you are right back to paying for only one item. if you have Prime, you should get it in time and next time you need a gas container, probably go with a NATO jerry can

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Having never done this I'm curious on how to return a fuel container with vapor in it. Ship it ground or?

Reactions: Outdoordog

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Having never done this I'm curious on how to return a fuel container with vapor in it. Ship it ground or?
i'd empty it of course and then fill it with hot water and dish soap and let it sit a little while and give it a rinse and you should be good.
when you request a refund, amazon will email you a Return Authorization number and a shipping label you print out that has the info on a bar code that UPS scans and tracks. all you need to do is find a box to put it in to ship if you already tossed the one it came it. you can request UPS pickup or take it to a UPS distribution center

Reactions: Outdoordog

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
I have had my 3 gal roto pax on my xt350. on my polaris atv and just tossing around in the back of my truck in hot summer weather and frigid winter weather and never leaked once, ever.
I'm just curious as to what part is actually leaking?

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

The bottom of the rotopax. I only noticed because i was walking around the jeep and smelled gasoline.
So I looked and saw gasoline on my jeep hardtop where it I saw a drop on the corner.

It's a small leak, but a leak nonetheless.

I will try the amazon method. That's great advice.

AdventureRider81

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
McKenna
Member #

Just an observation after many uses on my Motorcycle. I notice they do leak a little when I pack them completely full. When I pack them about 85-90% full or less they haven't leaked. I do have to secure extremely tight. To a point where I use a cannon plug tool to tighten and loosen them sometimes.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

1. Never, ever, ever fill them to capacity.
2. Remember to burp them at least daily when traveling. They swell and contract under temperature change and elevation change. Parked in your garage over night and its 50, take it outside and by noon its 80? Burp them. When they swell, there has to be a weak point.... and it will leak. If they are 95-100% capacity... they will swell and leak.

Reactions: Itacal and grubworm

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've never filled them to full capacity. I would say 80%.

Ive had it over a month and only left gasoline in for about 4 days. Filled it a few days ago for the trip this weekend.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
thats pretty cool if rotopax stands behind their products. hell, i'd buy based on that alone
That is encouraging to read ... I have been on the fence about how to carry extra fuel. I like the Jerry cans, but not sure how I will be able to mount them to the new bumper. The Rotopax can be mounted in any number of ways on my rig, but I was hesitant. I will likely give them a try knowing they stand behind their product like this.

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
buy another one and send back the leaky one under the shipping number of the new one. if its an identical item there won't be a problem, just request a refund and you are right back to paying for only one item. if you have Prime, you should get it in time and next time you need a gas container, probably go with a NATO jerry can
What you are talking about doing is FRAUDULENT.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I drilled a 1inch hole into the rotopax, sent them pictures and they are sending me a new one.

I will post a picture of the new one when it arrives.

They have been, so far, very helpful through the emails.

I'm hoping this is a rare case of a faulty product. But if the new one holds up to my uses, I will happily buy more, as I probably want to bring about 6 to 8 gallons on my trips.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I drilled a 1inch hole into the rotopax, sent them pictures and they are sending me a new one.

I will post a picture of the new one when it arrives.

They have been, so far, very helpful through the emails.

I'm hoping this is a rare case of a faulty product. But if the new one holds up to my uses, I will happily buy more, as I probably want to bring about 6 to 8 gallons on my trips.
cool! that solution should make you and @Ruben Z very happy :grinning: