RotoPax Fuel/Water Cans

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

From what I have seen they are a great setup. I don't own any but plan to purchase some in the future.

Reactions: murps

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

They've been on my list to help extend the 4Runner range. I'm just skeptical of mounting them flat on the roof rack with the temperature fluctuations we have in New Mexico. I would hate to spill 4 gallons of gas down the side of the rig. They say they can be stored flat, but don't guarantee it to stay sealed... :-/

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I really like my Nato Jerry cans to be honest but those Rotopax store nicely.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

They are HUGE in the dual sport motorcycle World. They're mounted to racks and saddlebag brackets. I've NEVER heard a negative word about them. I don't own any myself.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

im all for grabbing a normal fuel can but i really like the snap and play along with the portability/ storage of these styles

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've seen the Rotopax in photos and videos, but never looked at the prices before this thread. They seem handy, but wow, are they expensive!

I have four 20L steel Jerry cans that each cost half what a 3 gallon Rotopax cost. Here's what I have. Get 'em now, because they can't be sold without attached nozzles after these are gone.

For water, I have four of the 3.5 gallons WaterBrick containers. Again, not as handy as the Rotopax, but stackable, can be held down with straps, and cost $18 each vs $50 for the two-gallon Rotopax.

20 gallons of fuel containers: $196 vs $600
15 gallons of water containers: $72 vs $400

Convenience has a price.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I took a combination of them fuel and water, across the US on my roof laying flat and stacked in the June heat. I didn't completely fill the fuel so that they would expand and that was the largest thing I noticed. I checked them at every stop for leaks. Once I even pulled them down to release the pressure when I saw them expand. The expansion was significant but then again it was on the top of a black grand Cherokee in direct summer heat 24/7. They never leaked. Not one drop. At night they cooled and the "bulge" contracted but the packs never did return to the original flatness. They still stack just fine but you can easily tell they've been expanded out at one point.

That said, I would use them again easily. I might just check the seals aren't worn or replace them. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I've seen the Rotopax in photos and videos, but never looked at the prices before this thread. They seem handy, but wow, are they expensive!

I have four 20L steel Jerry cans that each cost half what a 3 gallon Rotopax cost. Here's what I have. Get 'em now, because they can't be sold without attached nozzles after these are gone.

For water, I have four of the 3.5 gallons WaterBrick containers. Again, not as handy as the Rotopax, but stackable, can be held down with straps, and cost $18 each vs $50 for the two-gallon Rotopax.

20 gallons of fuel containers: $196 vs $600
15 gallons of water containers: $72 vs $400

Convenience has a price.

Steve,
I bought a few of these on Ebay even cheaper.... $25ea shipped! I have had theme for a year and they have held up great! Definitely worth looking into.

Without mount here

With mount here

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

After i look into it more though @Steve the ones in your post look to be heavier duty (Thicker metal) hmm.... That being said, mine have always served me well and never leaked.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@jordanbrooks When I bought mine ~5 years ago, there were a zillion on eBay, but most reviews had them as pretty horrible quality. Thin, prone to leakage and internal rust, poor venting, poor sealing, etc. I opted to spend a bit more and get new made in Germany (at that time) cans made to NATO spec specifically for Deutsche Optik. It looks like they are now made in Latvia. I'm not saying they are better than the eBay ones linked. I was just more confident at the time that I was getting the best possible can available for a reasonable cost.

One of mine did spend about 40 days strapped down on top of my basket (albeit, empty) without any rust. And I regularly fill them at the gas station, and carry them laying flat inside the cargo area of my Outback, and have never had so much as whiff of gasoline smell. They do not have safety vents, so if pressure builds up, you need to take care in opening them, but that would be the case with any well sealed container.

Sorry for thoroughly derailing Murph's Rotopax thread.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

@jordanbrooks When I bought mine ~5 years ago, there were a zillion on eBay, but most reviews had them as pretty horrible quality. Thin, prone to leakage and internal rust, poor venting, poor sealing, etc. I opted to spend a bit more and get new made in Germany (at that time) cans made to NATO spec specifically for Deutsche Optik. It looks like they are now made in Latvia. I'm not saying they are better than the eBay ones linked. I was just more confident at the time that I was getting the best possible can available for a reasonable cost.

One of mine did spend about 40 days strapped down on top of my basket (albeit, empty) without any rust. And I regularly fill them at the gas station, and carry them laying flat inside the cargo area of my Outback, and have never had so much as whiff of gasoline smell. They do not have safety vents, so if pressure builds up, you need to take care in opening them, but that would be the case with any well sealed container.

Sorry for thoroughly derailing Murph's Rotopax thread.
You are completely correct, I can tell yours ARE better quality, I can see that just looking at pictures. But, so far mine have been fine. My main one spent nearly a year in the holder on my swing out tire carrier on the back of my Blazer and other than paint fading it never rusted or leaked and I used it quite often. But, I think the ones in your link would definitely survive more abuse than mine for sure. And i could have just gotten a good batch or something, because i have seen bad reviews on the "knockoffs" like mine in the past.

I really love the idea of Rotopax, but damn they are expensive!

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

I took a combination of them fuel and water, across the US on my roof laying flat and stacked in the June heat. I didn't completely fill the fuel so that they would expand and that was the largest thing I noticed. I checked them at every stop for leaks. Once I even pulled them down to release the pressure when I saw them expand. The expansion was significant but then again it was on the top of a black grand Cherokee in direct summer heat 24/7. They never leaked. Not one drop. At night they cooled and the "bulge" contracted but the packs never did return to the original flatness. They still stack just fine but you can easily tell they've been expanded out at one point.

That said, I would use them again easily. I might just check the seals aren't worn or replace them. Hope this helps.

I'm right there with you, we use Rotopax all the time and have not had any issue. They are a simple way to carry our fuel and water.